Sign in to follow this  
johnboy999

Think your suitcase is secure? Think again!

johnboy999

Not sure what section to post this video in, but for anyone travelling with a case to/from the Philippines, or indeed within the Philippines, watching this short video just might open your eyes a little. A friend of mine recently arrived at NAIA and found several watches were missing from inside his checked luggage (they left the boxes, just took the contents) even though his case was still locked and no apparent sign of damage or tampering. He put locks on all the zippers, but this video shows how little protection that actually offers!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sn8IWcPBBg

• Like 5

InternetTough

I always use a lot of thick tape around my luggage. It somewhat protects the contents, and makes it easier to find on the luggage carousel. If you break into my luggage without leaving a trace of your break-in, it is because you are a ninja or Dr. Moriarty.

• Like 2

roadking

Just never repeat Never ,put high value items in hold luggage.

Don't just think this just happens in the Philippines, after all it aint called Thief row in the UK for nothing.... :twocents: 

• Like 2

johnboy999

You are of course absolutely correct roadking, it is a worldwide problem. It certainly doesn't just happen in the Philippines.

I always used to think maybe the baggage handlers were expert lock-pickers, but after watching that video, it's really much simpler than that!

easy44

Wow, that's an eye opener!

manly4eva

Would a ballpoint pen open a boogie bag cover on a flight to Bali ???   :rofl:

• Like 2

A_Simple_Man

The Internet has become a school for criminals.  Those who have evil intent can find a method to circumvent any security by searching Google.

To secure a suitcase I could be tempted to use an exploding bag of sorts?  Blows up a bag of paint on the guy who breaks into your suitcase?

Monsoon

I have never locked a suitcase in my life. The only thing they would get from my luggage is clean or dirty clothes, depending on whether Im going off or coming back home. Why anyone would put anything but clothes in their checked luggage is beyond me. 

Those shrink wrap kiosks are in most airports for a reason.

When I was in Cuba they insisted on putting zip ties to lock my suitcase and I would say 2/3rds of the passengers had shrink wrapped their bags.  Those people are the biggest band of gypsy thieves I have ever encountered anywhere in the world. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 4

A_Simple_Man

I have never locked a suitcase in my life. The only thing they would get from my luggage is clean or dirty clothes, depending on whether Im going off or coming back home. Why anyone would put anything but clothes in their checked luggage is beyond me. 

Watch the video.  It is about people PUTTING IN contraband into your luggage.

• Like 1

Fred M

Just never repeat Never ,put high value items in hold luggage.

Don't just think this just happens in the Philippines, after all it aint called Thief row in the UK for nothing.... :twocents:

And GatNick

• Like 1

Woolf

This is why so many airports have baggage wrap

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

miles-high

This is why so many airports have baggage wrap

It would be a good idea to secure-wrap your check-ins (or just take your carry-on only) if you are going to Singapore, Malaysia, China or other middle eastern countries…

thebob

I only use hardshell cases with locks and combinations. I use a coloured zipper tie to see if it has been tampered with.

I carry a bicycle lock, so that the case can be secured to an immovable object. This is useful as a secure place to keep things in hotel rooms.

You don't need perfect security, just be better than most other people to deter theft.

• Like 2

Woolf

It would be a good idea to secure-wrap your check-ins (or just take your carry-on only) if you are going to Singapore, Malaysia, China or other middle eastern countries…

Well

Few years ago I lost video camera, laptop and other things out of my suitcase flying from Houston  to Copenhagen via Amsterdam

(Ya I know putting laptop in suitcase was a bad idea)

Since then I always wrap my suitcase with duct tape

Alan S

If you ae concerned, do not go to Dhaka.

On a flight I was on, (Dhaka to Bangkok) about 80% of passengers had things missing from their checked baggage.

And the authorities at BKK were not surprised!

Me?
I would be more concerned about someone putting things IN my luggage rather than removing them.