Degradation of English Abilities With Time Overseas

4thDan

I'm a Fil/Am and been married 26 years now, have lived in the Philippines for 16 yrs since 1998 and I have adapted to speaking Tagalog 99% of time all the time and anywhere in the Philippines, since I do not hang around with a bunch of English speaking expats here where we live! 

So, when I do have to speak the English language, I sometimes get a little tongue tied! :idontknow:  

At least you don't get a nose bleed.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brucewayne

• Art

• jtmwatchbiz

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seven years here and I find my English being mutated with American words, such as trash instead of rubbish.      Thankfully it's no longer the case, but I did spend a few years living with a Filipin

After several years here, I find myself using phrases like "no worries" and "good on ya" to people. I hope my English skills aren't going to degrade to the point where I am speaking Aussie...     

My English (READ: American) skills have always remained the same. I can say this, though. After having lived such a long time in the Philippines, I did find myself, when asked directions to a given lo

jtmwatchbiz

Has anyone else noticed that your English capabilities are being slowly lost?

no oi. why u maybe tink dat tings? i will talking to my wife udder day and hees always say i talking so good and nice. u maybe want more better frend dan us! up to u sir u pick okies?     

• Like 3
cebubird

no oi. why u maybe tink dat tings? i will talking to my wife udder day and hees always say i talking so good and nice. u maybe want more better frend dan us! up to u sir u pick okies?     

Oh

• Like 3
jtmwatchbiz

Oh

why not just raise your eyebrows? :)

• Like 1
smokey

Has anyone else noticed that your English capabilities are being slowly lost? At first I noticed that my English abilities degraded somewhat when I was home in Hawaii (compared to mainland USA). For the past 3 years, I've noticed that my (spoken and written) English abilities are getting much worse now that I spent 51 weeks a year away from America.

Is it just me? Do I have dementia? Alzheimers? Brain cancer?

Note: I do technical writing in English 6 days a week. It's not like I don't use the language.

could be the lack of mauie wowie in the diet :yahoo:

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

could be the lack of mauie wowie in the diet :yahoo:

what no luaus in cebu? :)

ahoy53

Had a radio officer on my ship ,retire to Indonesia,Last time I saw him there he was speaking to me in broken english.

This is a good point raised. Where was that thread about "What Business to Start in the Philippines"? I could suggest expat English daily classes refresher courses. Uniforms could be also part of the package, would not want to see baggy shorts and singlets at the school. Students could pick from Aussie, Yanky and other nationality teachers.

Brucewayne

At least you don't get a nose bleed.  LOL

No, but I bet he nearly drowns when it rains.

Brucewayne

why not just raise your eyebrows? :)

I think he was saying "yes", or is that when they start saying ooh, ooh, ooh?

Never can remember.

SomeRandomGuy

I also find myself putting on a yank accent to be understood here. My Aussie is thick and nasty so I have little choice as most people just give me blank stares here when I talk queenslander. I hate having to do it but even my bisaya is difficult to understand as my accent is Ozzie so I give up, use a Mericano accent( my best southern one) and just let it be.

I do point with my lips and I answer questions I have no idea about just to save face

Sent from my mind on my doovalacky to your mind thru your doovalacky.

• Like 1