• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brucewayne

• Art

• jtmwatchbiz

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seven years here and I find my English being mutated with American words, such as trash instead of rubbish.      Thankfully it's no longer the case, but I did spend a few years living with a Filipin

After several years here, I find myself using phrases like "no worries" and "good on ya" to people. I hope my English skills aren't going to degrade to the point where I am speaking Aussie...     

My English (READ: American) skills have always remained the same. I can say this, though. After having lived such a long time in the Philippines, I did find myself, when asked directions to a given lo

manly4eva

After several years here, I find myself using phrases like "no worries" and "good on ya" to people. I hope my English skills aren't going to degrade to the point where I am speaking Aussie... 

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

You can only wish to speak as eloquently as us bloody Aussies.... :sarcasm: ...I find i need to speak like an Americian when dealing with anyone other than my missus.I will speak Orstraylian first until i get the customary blank stare then find myself having to throw in a yank twang to be understood.I had the same problem for many years in Thailand. My guess is it may have a lot to do with Americian TV and movies being watched and no so many Pommy or Aussie ones.

• Like 3

In my case, it's the opposite. Being a spaniard whose english was practically null when arrived back in 2012, I have only seen improvement. Reading this forum helped a lot.

• Like 2
Headshot

I find i need to speak like an Americian when dealing with anyone other than my missus.

Well, at least something good has come from your time in the Philippines. It doesn't matter what language you speak with your wife. She likely won't listen anyway. Even if she does, she will hear what she expects to hear...and NOT what you say.

:cool:

• Like 3
rainymike

Has anyone else noticed that your English capabilities are being slowly lost? At first I noticed that my English abilities degraded somewhat when I was home in Hawaii (compared to mainland USA). For the past 3 years, I've noticed that my (spoken and written) English abilities are getting much worse now that I spent 51 weeks a year away from America.

Is it just me? Do I have dementia? Alzheimers? Brain cancer?

Note: I do technical writing in English 6 days a week. It's not like I don't use the language.

LOL ... eh brah, if you stay live in Hawaii, you speak funny kine English in da first place. Even da haoles talk funny kine..

• Like 2
Sonny

According to this web page there are over 1,025,000 words in the English language currently. It passed the one million mark on June 10th 2009.

Dammed Aussies !!!   :biggrin_01: :biggrin_01:

dustybookend

According to this web page there are over 1,025,000 words in the English language currently. It passed the one million mark on June 10th 2009. It might be instead of your vocabulary declining its possible you are not keeping up with the new words entering our language.

You should come and live in Pattaya in high season, you only need one word to make yourself understood in a bar full of gentlemen from the north of England. Four letters plus derivations, begins with F:)

lamoe

My English (READ: American) skills have always remained the same. I can say this, though. After having lived such a long time in the Philippines, I did find myself, when asked directions to a given location, to point with my lips and instruct them to, "Just go straight." 

May I ask how you indicate a "U" turn?

My daughter asked why I was speaking funny after a business trip of  only 7 weeks to Germany.

More how I spoke rather than actual words.

You should come and live in Pattaya in high season, you only need one word to make yourself understood in a bar full of gentlemen from the north of England. Four letters plus derivations, begins with F:)

No need I am fluent in that word from stubbing my toes often on the furniture here.  

Brucewayne

No need I am fluent in that word from stubbing my toes often on the furniture here.  

So, I am not the only one who stubs toes here, the wife says I am just clumsy and I never had this problem in the states.

I have made up a series of nonsense words in an attempt to stop swearing such as Frackenschnitzel that seems to satisfy my exclamation of pain, but now the wife and daughter think that is a dirty word and fuss at me for saying it.

I just can't win for losing sometimes.

So, I am not the only one who stubs toes here, the wife says I am just clumsy and I never had this problem in the states.

I have made up a series of nonsense words in an attempt to stop swearing such as Frackenschnitzel that seems to satisfy my exclamation of pain, but now the wife and daughter think that is a dirty word and fuss at me for saying it.

I just can't win for losing sometimes.

I wouldn't say that your language is degrading from living in the Philippines with creating Frackenschnitzel there are now thought to be 1,025,001 words in English and you probably have added a new word to Cebuano as well although considered taboo by some. :)  I can see the sense of using the abreviated frack as an emotional release I don't have your self control to seek a verbal release from pain in searching for a complicated word structure like Frackenschnitzel.  You may be losing but English is winning being richer for its neologisms.  

Brucewayne

I wouldn't say that your language is degrading from living in the Philippines with creating Frackenschnitzel there are now thought to be 1,025,001 words in English and you probably have added a new word to Cebuano as well although considered taboo by some. :)  I can see the sense of using the abreviated frack as an emotional release I don't have your self control to seek a verbal release from pain in searching for a complicated word structure like Frackenschnitzel.  You may be losing but English is winning being richer for its neologisms.  

Well, when I jam a toe, it hurts plenty long enough to cover my homemade curse word and a few more too.

The Frackenschnitzel gives me enough time to think before I make any other utterances.

Dammed Aussies !!!   :biggrin_01: :biggrin_01:

:ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Barefooter

Mikala

I was quite academically oriented and spent at least 20 years of my younger adulthood adventure/budget traveling (usually not working or "vacationing") to over 100 countries for various lengths of time before moving on or periodically returning to the US.  I have occasionally learned different languages to different degrees, and subsequently forgotten most from lack of use, as I moved on into different language environments.

And, yes, I have absolutely noticed that my English language skills deteriorated, partly because of adjustments to my language environment, but I think mostly due to my time and activities being more and more relaxed and less academic.  But what I really noticed was not just language deterioration.  It was my thinking skills, my speed, my critical thinking ability, my math skills  . . .  No really tremendous or unrecoverable loss, but definitely, a temporary deterioration until I surrounded myself, either back home, or elsewhere, with higher educated people/expectations, either externally or internally imposed, and then I fairly quickly recovered my skills, except for losing my foreign language achievements and my happy and relaxed participation in life.

I remember in '86 I spent months canoeing and exploring mostly alone down about 2000 km of South American Rivers into the Amazon River Basin all the way down The Amazon to its mouth at Belem.  Fascinating trip and the remote-to-populated river journey was  like traveling along a historical timeline.  Another intriguing thing was that, even though I thought of myself as a relaxed guy, locals kept telling me "Tranquilo, tranquilo" (Relax, relax.).  Little-by-little, day-by-day, I kept surprising myself at realizing that compared to the locals I was still definitely not "relaxed"  Time perception and goal-oriented attitudes/behaviors were very different.  And my learned American sense of having to do something with my life, having to accomplish something, kept me from just letting things be.  Week after week, month after month, in such isolation, I changed, my manifestation of my personality changed, you could say some aspects deteriorated.

Something, somehow similar, gradually would also change during many of my travels, both months-long as well as years long trips, regarding my manifestation of my language/math/other skills.  It was a little disconcerting in the early days when I realized this was happening, but each time I recovered and then deteriorated, I learned to trust that that was just the way it was for me, but that I didn't have to worry because I learned to trust that I could be flexible and go both ways, deteriorating and relaxing, as well as recovering/achieving.

• Like 2
Alan S

The English language is so rich that we have a variety of words for almost everything.

Which one(s) you use will depend upon the company you keep.

After al, the object of language is to communicate, which means ensuring that the listener can understand what you say.

When I spent all day working with university people, I soon used more complex words and phrases, than I usually did.

Work and live in a place where basic English is the norm, and one soon reverts (?) to basic English.

As long as you communicate, it doesnt matter.