Sign in to follow this  
Chas

D & A Seaside Cottages, Camiguin

Chas

Having stayed in a number of small provincial hotels in the Philippines I think this is one of the best I have found.  The hotel is somewhat remote a few kilometres outside of Catarman and is situated next to Catarman Municipal Fish Port.  A number of the rooms are situated on a steep slope down to the water giving a good view of the port.  From the bottom of the resort there is a small bridge to the port where you can enjoy the sunsets and watch the night fishermen.  There is no beach, but I did see people snorkelling in the harbour and sea.

Airport transfers were available.  Multicabs good for 6 to 8 persons are available for 1500 up to 1700 for an all day round the island tour.  Amble up to the main road to catch a trike into Catarman for a few pesos.  Jeepneys also pass along the main road so it is possible to manage without your own transport.

At the top, by the main entrance, is the reception/restaurant and swimming pool.  The pool was very clean and nice to swim in.  The main pool is quite deep, with two small shallow pools for kids.

The staff were wonderful and I was told they are all relatives of the owner, Anne.  I thought the restaurant was great value with no attempt made to raise prices to take advantage of the lack of local competition.  I am allergic to cow’s milk and its products. It is typical of the interest shown in the welfare of the guests that Anne went out of her way to get a loaf of bread without milk in it.  As I have previously discovered, it is not easy to get milk free bread in the Philippines.

I stayed in 2nd Cottage.  A bedroom with an alcove containing a fridge, kettle, coffee etc. and sink.  There was also a CR with shower, loo and basin.  The bed was firm, which I like, though it was only a small 4ft double which might be a tight fit for some.  I have no idea if this size bed is typical of the other rooms and it might be worth enquiring if you think it a bit small.  The resort has its own website with contact details.  The room had aircon, but this was not needed with the breeze off the sea keeping the room cool.  A fan would have been nice and Dave, Anne’s other half, said this was on the to do list.

There is free wifi available, though to get a decent signal you need to sit by the pool.  The mobile phone signal was excellent.

The cottages on the side of the hill would not be suitable for the infirm because of the number of steps.  There are other rooms/cottages at the top that might be suitable, best enquire.

If/when I return to Camiguin I will stay there again.

View from the Port

post-7781-0-24735600-1398399669_thumb.jpg

View of the Port from 2nd Cottage

post-7781-0-58188300-1398399722_thumb.jpg

2nd Cottage CR

post-7781-0-90575400-1398399784_thumb.jpg

post-7781-0-49199800-1398399827_thumb.jpg

Sunset from the Port

post-7781-0-30035400-1398399864_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

lopburi3

Thanks for the good informational posting.  Believe forum can be best used for this type of information exchange as getting personal experiences is a great way to find new places and things to do.  There is no need to be a professional writer or photographer and you leave a record for others to view and expand on.

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

Tariff?

Chas

Tariff?

Presumably varies depending on which room/cottage you book.  Breakfast is included, I usually had bacon, fried eggs, toast, marmalade, brewed coffee.  Booked through Agoda, 2nd Cottage cost me just under £115 for 5 nights over the Easter weekend and the hotel was full (= 23 UK pounds a night, I forget the pound/peso rate when I booked).

Davaoeno
Choose your room

per room per night No. Rooms            

PHP 2,053.57

01                                                                                             Book it!

Edited by Davaoeno