Educational Support for an Adult Child

Mikala

Found this on the Manila Times website. It's contrary to what I thought was the law.

http://www.manilatimes.net/educational-support-for-an-adult-child/91042/

Dear PAO,
Can I still ask support from my father even if I am no longer a minor? I’m still single but unemployed. My parents are not married to each other. I want to finish a degree in college but I have no means to pay the expenses. Can I oblige my father to finance my education?
Cliff

Dear Cliff,
Since you did not mention in your letter that you were recognized by your father, we will assume that you were acknowledged.

The law mandates parents to give support to their legitimate and illegitimate children and vice versa. This is what Article 195 of the Family Code of the Philippines explicitly provides. The same law defines support as follows: “Art. 194. Support comprises everything indispensable for sustenance, dwelling, clothing, medical attendance, education and transportation, in keeping with the financial capacity of the family.

The education of the person entitled to be supported referred to in the preceding paragraph shall include his schooling or training for some profession, trade or vocation, even beyond the age of majority. Transportation shall include expenses in going to and from school, or to and from place of work.”

Clearly, you may oblige your father to finance your education even if you are no longer a minor. However, since it does not appear from your letter that your father is capable of providing the needed support to defray the expenses of your completing a degree in college, the same shall be in proportion to his capacity vis-à-vis your needs. This is according to Article 201 of the Family Code of the Philippines, which provides: “The amount of support, in the cases referred to in Articles 195 and 196, shall be in proportion to the resources or means of the giver and to the necessities of the recipient.”

On the other hand, if your father is capable of providing you financial support to finish a course in college, then you may compel him to do so.

Again, we find it necessary to mention that this opinion is solely based on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. The opinion may vary when the facts are changed or elaborated.

We hope that we were able to enlighten you on the matter.

Edited by Mikala
Skywalker

Most of the students I know, that are at University, don't get any financial support from their parents.  They all have jobs.

The funny thing is, that the parents of these focused kids all expect a monthly stipend from their offspring when they graduate and find work.

Children here are too often treated like a commodity.  How can a jeepney driver, for instance, give any sort of proper support to 10 children?  I know a taxi driver who has 4 kids, and he said to me he wont stop until he has at least 8, his reasoning being 'they are a gift from God'.  Ignorance is often intergenerational. 

Headshot

What is an "adult child" anyway? It is an oxymoron, and I believe that Pao got it all wrong. The family code provision for support talks about CHILDREN, which clearly means MINORS. Nobody is obligated to support their offspring for the rest of their lives (which would the conclusion you would have to draw if you accepted Pao's interpretation of the law). Parents are obligated to support their CHILDREN until they become adults (18)...at which time their obligation ends (though parents may...and often do...choose to support their offspring longer). There is no parental obligation to support adult offspring. Pao got this one wrong.

Edited by Headshot
Skywalker

You are obligated to support your CHILDREN until they become adults (18)

At that stage in the West, the lazy kids go and suck the Government teat, at the tax payers expense.

Imagine if the Philippines had a welfare state.

Mikala

The law mandates parents to give support to their legitimate and illegitimate children and vice versa

Heck, I was hoping the "vice-versa" meant that I could expect support from my children until I died, as long as I sent them to get an HRM degree or some other useful and meaningful major, such as Airline Administration. This, of course, would instantly qualify them for a job as either a door-holder or maybe even a maid at a hotel. Worst case, they'd be employable as a cashier or promo girl. Hmm... guess I'll need about an even 4 dozen kids to support me... I might even have to change my religion to be a Morman extremist so I can have multiple wives...

Headshot

I might even have to change my religion to be a Morman extremist so I can have multiple wives...

If you convert to Islam, you can legally have four wives right here on Cebu.

Mikala

If you convert to Islam

Yes! And then I won't even have to change my monogrammed sweaters if I change my name to Mo!