Sign in to follow this  
tambok

Police Raids on Bars

spooks

I know it is not a legal requirement but believe ID is required to be proven.  The finger printing and release appears it was an ID issue used to justify there temporary detention.  Even in Thailand I am yet to see any legal law supporting the idea you must have passport at all times (although some police will claim it).  What is required is ID; and if an immigration officer is asking proof of your legal stay which would require passport.  A lot of things are done in the spirit of the law (depending on there current spirit). 

ID requirement (in shape of compulsory ID card)has been struck down by the failure to pass that law making it compulsory. Incidentally only BI or accredited BI with evidence to prove accreditation can ask for such ID and that is the law. This came about as too many foreigners were getting visits from so called Bi agents and assets and being hauled away on made up charges. now all visit have to be signed off by head of BI.

I suspect that there will NOT be a repeat of this action again any time soon as the obvious questions are already being asked.

I always carry Id and would always do so.

Skywalker

I suspect the customers were detained the same way they are here in Bangkok - lack of passport ID to prove who they are - police then can hold until ID is proven.  And yes customers are checked here during such bar raids.  But here is is normally drug related and everyone is tested, including customers. 

This is perfectly true.  But you forgot to mention that one of the purposes of these trawls is also to catch overstayers, as well as general grandstanding by the local (often new) Chief of Police.

Skywalker

I'm also not entirely convinced that a few customers in Angeles bikini bars are really representative of any sort of Golden Goose!

burnttoast

I want to know more about this group of suspicious "white women" with a high end video camera was spotted filming across the street outside the bar that was raided just before it all went down. Hmmmm...

spooks

I want to know more about this group of suspicious "white women" with a high end video camera was spotted filming across the street outside the bar that was raided just before it all went down. Hmmmm...

you wanna date?? :evan:

RogerDuMond

ID requirement (in shape of compulsory ID card)has been struck down by the failure to pass that law making it compulsory. Incidentally only BI or accredited BI with evidence to prove accreditation can ask for such ID and that is the law.

Want to get this straight. If you are detained in the course of a raid on a bar looking for illegal activities, are you saying that they can't require some form of proof of identity from you?

spooks

Want to get this straight. If you are detained in the course of a raid on a bar looking for illegal activities, are you saying that they can't require some form of proof of identity from you?

They can ask, and you can advise that you do not have any on you and be happy to accompany them to the local BID office to confirm status if you are on a permanent visa or to hotel to show passport if a tourist

they have no rights at all to take you in such a raid or even search you

i had a similar episode back in the day when local police came in and ordered lights on and music off and then proceeded to body search all in the bar.  A foreign guy politely declined the search. The police asked him who he was he said my ID is in the hotel. they insisted that he be searched He insisted they show their search warrant. They were pissed but left after wanting to know from the guard which was his vehicle, of course he did not have one.

In saying that sensible cooperation is always advised.

I be very surprised if non of those taken had no ID on them at all. i suspect that it was ignored

I also suspect that there is more to fall out from this particular event as it is seismic as customers have not been targeted before,  why because of the reasons I have stated, otherwise it would be routine practice. 

the martial law years have an impact on the justice system here to prevent being picked up just because someone has a badge and uniform

Edited by spooks

hyaku

When they raid the DVD stalls do they arrest the customers?

lopburi3

Not is the customer is buying his own CD as happened here in Bangkok last week - but the seller was arrested after photos were shown of the purchase.

As this incident was reported to be an out of town raiding party suspect the proof of ID was the finger printing that they could only do at there office - so a free tourist trip to Manila was provided the foreign customers.  What more could a good tourist ask?  There are many ways to view an incident or read a law.  Best not to be put in that position and that is exactly what the raids seems to be designed to accomplish - a little fear factor and show and tell material to prove they mean business.   In today's social network world it is not how you plan the game but how you make yourself appear to pay the game.  The Times They Are a-Changin' has never been more true. 

• Like 1

samatm

When they raid the DVD stalls do they arrest the customers?

Does this really happen ?     IN CEBU?

Fred M

the proof of ID was the finger printing

They would need more than that to identify someone unless that person's fingerprints were on a database that they had access to.

contraman

They can ask, and you can advise that you do not have any on you and be happy to accompany them to the local BID office to confirm status if you are on a permanent visa or to hotel to show passport if a tourist

i had a similar episode back in the day when local police came in and ordered lights on and music off and then proceeded to body search all in the bar. A foreign guy politely declined the search. The police asked him who he was he said my ID is in the hotel. they insisted that he be searched He insisted they show their search warrant. They were pissed but left after wanting to know from the guard which was his vehicle, of course he did not have one.

In saying that sensible cooperation is always advised.

I be very surprised if non of those taken had no ID on them at all. i suspect that it was ignored

I also suspect that there is more to fall out from this particular event as it is seismic as customers have not been targeted before, why because of the reasons I have stated, otherwise it would be routine practice.

the martial law years have an impact on the justice system here to prevent being picked up just because someone has a badge and uniform

Is this correct ?

I thought that carrying ID was part of a tourist visa requirement.

Must have missed something somewhere :(

Edited by contraman

Monsoon

That's all fine and dandy in a constitutional law class or as a subject for the debate team. But if you piss off the wrong cop in this country you can expect to be framed up and arrested for something you did not do. They aren't all hung up on little things like honor and honesty in the ranks of this country's LE community. 

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

Police sources said the raid is part of the city government’s effort to stamp out the trafficking business here in preparation for the World Economic Forum slated next year where this city is one of the places to be visited by participants and international guests.

From

http://angelescityvoice.com/12-foreign-guests-held-in-angeles-club-raid/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk