Sign in to follow this  
tambok

Police Raids on Bars

tambok

Police raids on bars in Angeles city are nothing new- they do it all the time. However, the last one -- on Good Friday-- actually involved those customers who were inside. They were taken to Manila and fingerprinted. This is scary. Apparently, one stand-by who was nearby gawking was also taken in ( can't find info on that one now)

They were loaded on buses and taken to immigration at Intramuros.

Dunno if this is coming to Cebu but it seems that now, just being inside the bar may cause you problems with the law.

http://www.harrythehorse.asia/?p=10045

Alan S

It is certainly unusual to detail customers.

Raids used to be common in Ermita and when I lived in Angeles, but they never held the customers.

(I had a row with one of the poilce during one raid. Arguing with armed police may not be a god diea but he annoyed me!)

If they are starting to detail customers, it will be interesting to see the outcome.

• Like 1

Willie

Mixed feelings about the trend.  Part of me says good!  Filipino male participation aside, a substantial segment of the huge expat community in the PI consists of bottom feeders (especially US) there specifically to exploit Filipinas due to the socioeconomic advantages enjoyed by the men.  However, the other side of me sees these as legitimate transactions due to the right of women to sell their bodies for economic gain.  Too bad most of them don't enjoy full economic compensation from their extraction of semen.  If it were only as simple as the above dichotomy then figuring out a stand would be easy. 

• Like 3

Alan S

The issue isnt the rights or wrongs of prostitution, (start another thread on that if you wish) but detaining customers during a raid. 

The reasons for a raid are usually that someone is working without paperwork, that a claim is made that underage girls are there (rare in foreign owned bars) or there is some financial irregularity.

(THat someone in public office hasnt received their "commission", I will ignore as it will take this thread to a different level.)

Now, none of the reasons above relate to the customer, which is why they are usually sent out and the staff detained.

What offence can a customer have committed?

None that falls within the jurisdiction of the people who normally carry out such raids.

Hence it will be interesting to see what the result is.

• Like 3

Cipro

Now, none of the reasons above relate to the customer, which is why they are usually sent out and the staff detained.

Will be interesting what a person could be charged with in this case. BTW, does anyone know which bar this is?

contraman

I have not been to AC for years and have no intention of retuurning anytime soon

It has been a known fact that bribe and corruption is part of the deal there

If Manila are getting involved to get their share, the local officals are not going to be happy

Being cut out

It may lead to a backlash within the ranks

looks like greed may kill the golden goose

contraman

Will be interesting what a person could be charged with in this case. BTW, does anyone know which bar this is?

The report named the bar as hill sisters ???

Apparently Koren owned! But thar can't be right Foreigners are not allowed to own a bar in the Philippines are they ::

Edited by contraman

Fred M

It says the customers were fingerprinted. No charges.

Pretty annoying if you had your date ruined though.

hyaku

Mixed feelings about the trend.  Part of me says good!  Filipino male participation aside, a substantial segment of the huge expat community in the PI consists of bottom feeders (especially US) there specifically to exploit Filipinas due to the socioeconomic advantages enjoyed by the men.

Its a two way street!

A_Simple_Man

This story has me asking 2 questions.  If a foreigner hits on my gf in the mall and offers her money to go with him, can she now have him arrested for trying to be a customer?  And if a female police officer takes you to Manila and you find yourself liking her, is it a date?

• Like 3

lopburi3

I suspect the customers were detained the same way they are here in Bangkok - lack of passport ID to prove who they are - police then can hold until ID is proven.  And yes customers are checked here during such bar raids.  But here is is normally drug related and everyone is tested, including customers. 

spooks

I suspect the customers were detained the same way they are here in Bangkok - lack of passport ID to prove who they are - police then can hold until ID is proven.  And yes customers are checked here during such bar raids.  But here is is normally drug related and everyone is tested, including customers. 

we are not required to carry passports as ID

lopburi3

I know it is not a legal requirement but believe ID is required to be proven.  The finger printing and release appears it was an ID issue used to justify there temporary detention.  Even in Thailand I am yet to see any legal law supporting the idea you must have passport at all times (although some police will claim it).  What is required is ID; and if an immigration officer is asking proof of your legal stay which would require passport.  A lot of things are done in the spirit of the law (depending on there current spirit). 

A_Simple_Man

What is required is ID; and if an immigration officer is asking proof of your legal stay which would require passport

For this you need an ACR card, a tourist ACR will suffice.  If you are not here long enough to get an ACR card then I would surely use my passport or a photocopy of it as my ID.  But thats just me

• Like 1

contraman

For this you need an ACR card, a tourist ACR will suffice.  If you are not here long enough to get an ACR card then I would surely use my passport or a photocopy of it as my ID.  But thats just me

I always carry a copy of my passport at all times, no matter what country I am in.

• Like 1