Connecting ground wire.

fred42

hyaku

Lol all the wiring in my house was done with all black heavy duty wiring. Difficult to know which is positive or negative without testing. It's the stuff they use for 110 volt slower current in Japan. Its more like cooker cable. The weakest point on my circuit is probably a light bulb. The power company don't earth anyway!

One good thing is if the cable is stripped and folded a few times it makes a good earth for a few three pin sockets for the kitchen and comp.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShawnM

• Headshot

• fred42

• Mikala

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let a lineman do it. It won't cost you much, and I don't want to lose a friend. There is a rule in line work. You always connect the neutral first...and then the hot legs. When you disconnect, you dis

We allow the "ufer" ground in Hawaii, but it does get planted into the earth thru the rebar at some point. Customers complain that the lava and basalt rock is too hard to get a ground into, but we sti

Better to talk with a local lineman (either VECO or contractor) when you see them out working and get him to do it on the side (for a fee of course). It isn't something that can be done hot, and the o

Posted Images

Headshot

Lol all the wiring in my house was done with all black heavy duty wiring. Difficult to know which is positive or negative without testing. It's the stuff they use for 110 volt slower current in Japan. Its more like cooker cable. The weakest point on my circuit is probably a light bulb. The power company don't earth anyway!

One good thing is if the cable is stripped and folded a few times it makes a good earth for a few three pin sockets for the kitchen and comp.

VECO grounds the center points on their transformers (to a driven ground rod). They just don't ground their other poles because they don't run neutrals, so it would be a wasted effort. If you were lucky enough to live close to a transformer pole, you could conceivably have them run a neutral to your home, and you would have 110/220 volt system. That, of course, would present its own problems, since most electric appliances sold here only take 220 volts.

Edited by Headshot
samatm

my(rented) Condo in Manila was wired 220/110  clear marked outlets.....very very helpful for our mixed bag of gadgets and appliances... sadly my home in CEBU was 220 only.... and yes have burned out a few items (Wii .. drill, coffee maker... just by accident even though measures were in place to prevent such accidents...  (hint visitors and helpers don't really understand  "110 Only" .    

• Like 1

As we have land on a pretty much solid limestone we are having problems driving in the ground bar..

Ive just been doing a bit of reading about "Ufer ground" which is basically connecting the ground wire to the foundations..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufer_ground

Cant do that as no exposed rebar now..

Would connecting the ground wire to the rebar in the underground water tank be OK?

The tank is concrete rebar reinforced.

Yes you can.  Ufer grounds are specified quite often, 22 facilities on my site called for an Ufer ground and it is pretty dry here.

Shawn

thebob

just by accident even though measures were in place to prevent such accidents...  (hint visitors and helpers don't really understand  "110 Only" .

Change your 110V plugs and outlets to slanted aussie style ones then it is physically difficult to make a mistake.

Like these.

European_American_Australian_New_Zealand

• Like 1
lopburi3

The normal multi type outlets here in Thailand accept them without any issues.  In today's world only having the proper voltage appliance is a sure thing.

electricity-wall-outlet.jpg

thebob

The normal multi type outlets here in Thailand accept them without any issues.  In today's world only having the proper voltage appliance is a sure thing.

So change the outlets.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Lol all the wiring in my house was done with all black heavy duty wiring. Difficult to know which is positive or negative without testing.
If you have VECO, you don't have one.  Both wires are hot 110V.

The power company don't earth anyway!
Sure they do, they just don't normally supply it to the house.

Headshot, on 20 Apr 2014 - 2:01 PM, said:

VECO grounds the center points on their transformers (to a driven ground rod). They just don't ground their other poles because they don't run neutrals, so it would be a wasted effort. If you were lucky enough to live close to a transformer pole, you could conceivably have them run a neutral to your home, and you would have 110/220 volt system. That, of course, would present its own problems, since most electric appliances sold here only take 220 volts.

Not in this area and yes, I know, VECO (and everything else here) is extremely consistent.  :sarcasm:   The poles near my place have six wires.  The top 3 are the 440 lines.  One of those connects to a step down xformer.  The outer 2 lugs of the xformer are the bottom two wires on the pole which supply the meters.  The center lug in grounded and connects to all things needing grounded on the pole like the metal bars that hold the insulators for the wires and even the guy wires on the poles though they are insulated halfway down to the stake.  That is the middle wire on the pole.  It's the same as the neutral wire supplied in the US but it's just not supplied here.  I have called and sent messages to VECO and gone into their office several times to get a connection to that wire and so far, no dice.  The best so far is that they sent one of their multicabs of techs out to check out my meter and I'm not sure they even understood what I wanted even after 15 minutes during which they calibrated my meter and a few other useless that had nothing to do with what I wanted.  (I did note that they just pulled the seal off the meter and reused it when they were finished in case you want to work on your meter yourself.)  Anyway, on the latest trip to their office and explaining to them for about 30 minutes including drawings of poles and wires etc., there was a tech there that said why don't I run the wire myself.  The desk clerk agreed and I asked both of them again just to make sure it was ok to run the line myself and they said fine.  So some nice Sunday evening when I find a tall enough ladder I'll run the stupid ground (neutral) wire.

• Like 1
lopburi3

So change the outlets.

Does not help when something like this in plugged into it.

PZB404.jpg

Woolf

Veco power distribution system

http://www.veco.com.ph/page.html?main=efficiency&sub1=about%20energy

Please notice that the pole transformer primary is 23,000 volt

The 23,000 volt is 3 phase, one the phases feeds the pole transformer

08021412029690080.jpg

Edited by Woolf
thebob

Does not help when something like this in plugged into it.

PZB404.jpg

So don't have something like that in your house.

We allow the "ufer" ground in Hawaii, but it does get planted into the earth thru the rebar at some point. Customers complain that the lava and basalt rock is too hard to get a ground into, but we still require the ground for the customer's safety. We even started using equipment to check customer grounds to ensure they were correctly installed.

I'd recommend drilling into the ground, but try to get at least 2 to 3 meters into the ground with 2 ground rods. Alternatively you could use a coil of wire around an underground tank (septic?).

Keep in mind that corrosion will eat away at whatever ground rod or wire that you're using.

Note: cement / concrete is more of an insulator than a conductor. Don't allow any concrete get between your ground rod (or wire) and the earth.

The NEC considers concrete as a "ground", look at safe clearance for an example.  Concrete encased electrodes are quite common and are talked about in the NEC.

Yeah dont connect earths to any infrastructure, gonna have to drill brah

Building steel is required to be bonded to your grounding system, I would consider that infrastructure.

We made sure that the whole building was wired live neutral earth..

Thanks for the suggestions re septic tank(What size copper wire? No 8 mains wire?) although I have been reading today that concrete is an excellent conductor!! 

Now I`m confused again! 

You are correct, concrete has a lower resistance than most soil.

Nix the idea on just laying wire in the ground. In alkaline soil (which limestone is), any metal you put in the ground WILL corrode...the smaller the diameter, the faster it will corrode. Go the extra mile and lay a ground rod in the ground as deep as you can when you dig the hole for the septic tank. That should be connected to a #6 solid copper wire (don't use stranded wire...which is just a collection of small wires that will each corrode individually). Also nix any thought of hooking the ground to rebar that will be encased in concrete. Though concrete is conductive when wet, once it dries it is highly insulative...and you won't have a good ground.

The only place you would find a solid conductor as a grounding conductor is a pole ground.  The industry standard is to use stranded bare copper wire.

Woolf

In the US, we are used to having a grounded neutral run into the home, which gives us stable voltage. Here, because we only have the two hot legs with no neutral, the voltage isn't nearly as stable

Why run the grounded neutral /grounded center tap to the house when it is not used, to me that would just be a waste of copper

I have a hard time figuring out why bringing the grounded neutral to the house, should have any influence on how stable the power is