Sign in to follow this  
Paul

For Mr. Motley (those in Cebu please read this post)

Ken Oath

I just read this post, I live in Banilad area and can assist if it's still needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CebuKano

Update 04/14/14

Stopped by the funeral home this afternoon.

Mr. Motley has still not been claimed but we talked with management and they told us they contacted the US embassy shortly after they took possession of the body and Mr. Motley's father had contacted the funeral home once. The funeral home has since called the embassy and it seems Mr. Motley's father wants to deal with everything through the embassy.

So bottom line: Mr. Motley's status remains the same.

Thanks Ken for offering to help and I will take you up on that offer so maybe we could trade off visiting Rolling Hills for a status update to provide better coverage in case I can't make it there some days. The people there are quite friendly and very open regarding details.

As always, Rest In Peace Mr. Motley.

Edited by Motörhead
  • Like 4

Ken Oath

Motörhead, sure I can do that. Send me a PM of the days you can't make it.

• Like 1

Lee

Thank you both. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

CebuKano

Update: 04/18/14

Still no change as of this evening ~ 7:30PM

Rolling Hills is still waiting for authorization from the US embassy to proceed with anything. I'm sure that Holy Week will cause a delay until early next week.

I will post here if/when anything changes. Or if several days pass with no change in status.

Thanks Ken for offering to help. I will PM you if we can't drop by the funeral home for a few days. I appreciate the offer.

As always, RIP Mr. Motley.

• Like 3

CebuKano

Update: 04/25/14

There is still no change in the status of Mr. Motley. Rolling Hills has no additional information. His body is still in the funeral home morgue.

As always, RIP Mr. Motley

• Like 1

Ken Oath

That's not good news, hopefully he is repatriated very soon.

• Like 1

CebuKano

That's not good news, hopefully he is repatriated very soon. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. He's been there since April 9th. It seems that our (US) government has money for all kinds of things besides taking care of unclaimed expats, regardless of how they were reported to have died. No autopsy can be performed without further authorization of his family OR the state department.

Mr. Motley's story is both sad and a reminder how us expats living here are truly on our own.

As far as I know no members here knew Mr. Motley but it seems to me that us members in this forum care more about doing the right thing for him than the US government.

I will tell you one thing, the folks at Rolling Hills are very respectful regarding this matter and really care - outside of the financial aspects. I have nothing but high regards for the staff.

• Like 6

Paul

You know, it is a damned shame for anyone to end up like this. 

I know that someone in his family, someone who knows him from "back home", should care enough about him to see that his body has been repatriated to the US. 

Yes, I realize he probably could have made some sort of preparations prior to his demise. But, who is to say that he didn't, really? 

This case should be a wake up call for each of us living abroad, to make sure we have a plan in place and someone we can trust to carry that plan out, in the event of our death. I really hate to see that this has happened, to yet another expat, living abroad. 

• Like 6

CebuKano

You know, it is a damned shame for anyone to end up like this. 

I know that someone in his family, someone who knows him from "back home", should care enough about him to see that his body has been repatriated to the US. 

Yes, I realize he probably could have made some sort of preparations prior to his demise. But, who is to say that he didn't, really? 

This case should be a wake up call for each of us living abroad, to make sure we have a plan in place and someone we can trust to carry that plan out, in the event of our death. I really hate to see that this has happened, to yet another expat, living abroad.

Exactly. Well said. Some of us know additional details regarding contacting his family, but I won't disclose it here without permission from the one who did make contact --- That member went out of his way, big time and tried various ways to try to follow up - - only to get no response...

It is indeed a shame.

• Like 1

Lee

Why are people blaming the embassy. Why do people feel it is the responsibility of govt to take care of their citizens needs when there is family. What ever happened to personal responsibility.  :banghead:

In the beginning I spoke to his mother and she told me during my one and only call to his parents, that she wanted the body cremated and the ashes sent back to the family. I have emailed his brother twice, once at his fathers request and once after some pm's back and forth with motorhead, to give the brother motorheads contact info and the brother never even bothered to reply, to at the very least say thank you.  :banghead:  His father told me that his brother has an international phone line where calls all over the world are free, yet he has not bothered to call me on a local US phone number even once. So guys no one has even bothered to call me back when I gave them all my US number and no one has bothered to email me, so take all that for what it is worth

The family has been informed, I gave them the phone number of the funeral home and apparently the father contacted them only once according to Motorhead and then have put it in the hands of the embassy.  :banghead:  

As far as I am concerned we should be done with this and use this as a learning experience to be sure to not let the same happen to us.  

• Like 3

Paul

As far as I am concerned we should be done with this and use this as a learning experience to be sure to not let the same happen to us.  

Well, I still have a donation in my possession, from a member who wanted to buy flowers for Mr. Motley. 

I just wish someone in his family would pick up the ball, at least to get his remains back there. If cremation is the decision, he could be cremated in Cebu City, and his ashes sent home - I imagine not too costly of a venture.

CebuKano

The daily "storage" fee is 1,000 so it would be in the best interest of his family to expedite things if it's a financial issue for them.

As for the money Paul, I will stop by the funeral home every few days and if things change to where they will accept memorials/flowers I will take care of it like we agreed a few days ago and email you the details. Perhaps Rolling Hills can send the memorial along with his body or ashes. I'll keep you updated.

• Like 2

CebuKano

Mr Motley has been cremated and his ashes are in the process of being shipped back to his family but are still in the custody of Rolling Hills. Everything is paid up so his family came through for him.

My Internet here is beyond slow so I will post details about the memorial later when Smart WiMax starts functioning again...

If this is posted more than once will a mod please delete any duplicates? Thanks.

• Like 3

Paul

Please keep me notified. Still have the funds available, and waiting, in my PayPal account.