Sign in to follow this  
samatm

Is Tuli (Circumcision) really necessary

samatm

Circumcision Benefits Outweigh Risks, Study Reports

By NICHOLAS BAKALAR

APRIL 7, 2014, 10:38 AM

well_childhood-thumbStandard.jpg

A review of studies has found that the health benefits of infant malecircumcision vastly outweigh the risks involved in the procedure.

But the study, published online in Mayo Clinic Proceedings, also found that while the prevalence of circumcision among American men ages 14 to 59 increased to 81 percent from 79 percent over the past decade, the rate of newborn circumcision has declined by 6 percentage points, to 77 percent, since the 1960s.

The authors conclude that the benefits — among them reduced risks of urinary tract infectionprostate cancersexually transmitted diseases and, in female partners, cervical cancer — outweigh the risks of local infection or bleeding. Several studies, including two randomized clinical trials, found no long-term adverse effects of circumcision on sexual performance or pleasure.

One cost-benefit analysis that considered infant urinary tract infections and sexually transmitted diseases found that if circumcision rates were decreased to the 10 percent typical in European countries, the additional direct medical costs over 10 years of births would be more than $4.4 billion.

“Male circumcision is in principle equivalent to childhood vaccination,” said the lead author, Brian J. Morris, emeritus professor of medical sciences at the University of Sydney. “Just as there are opponents of vaccination, there are opponents of circumcision. But their arguments are emotional and unscientific, and should be disregarded.”

A version of this article appears in print on 04/08/2014, on page D6 of the NewYork edition with the headline: Childhood: Benefits From Circumcision.

• Like 1

Skywalker

Not understanding the concept of micro minority? No it is the least likely reason someone would wish they were circumcised earlier, the most likely reason is that they belong to a culture that does it or they convert to a culture that requires it for membership and/or to be thought of as a real man.

Thank you, you patronise me so well.

So what you are saying is that to be a REAL MAN, or rather thought to be a real man, seems to require.......what is it that you are saying?

The whole idea that to be circumcised makes that person a real man is quite ridiculous.  And a cultural requirement to change and mutilate the body to be somehow a better person seems to be a strange thing.  Are we not, therefore, born perfect?  Is nature getting it wrong?  Does any other member of the animal kingdom require such a thing?  Am I somehow imperfect for being a whole man?

• Like 1

Paul

I think the point here is, we are talking about the Filipino culture. This is a very BIG part of their culture, boys becoming men. 

Regardless of how ANY of us foreigners sees it, is completely irrelevant - in my mind anyway. 

This is just another one of those things that, just because it is how "we may do it", doesn't really matter. 

hobo

At work a guy in his mid-50's  who's HIV +,decided to have a circumcision. Everything went well, stayed for a few days then went home. After a week he was back with an infection, and was having difficulty peeing, doctor ordered to have a foley catheter inserted. I explained to the guy what the doctor ordered, he said ok and I gently uncovered the guy and holy cow, what I saw was like a big ball of fire. His scrotum was red , firm and  big as a baby's head!  I was looking at it and wondered to my self where is it? I could not find the head,  now where will I stick this catheter to? I needed a hand,  a couple of hands, to get the job done.

My co-worker gently squeezed the bottom of his  scrotum that made the tip of the penis popped up. At 1 o'clock in the morning my coworker and I were so excited we were saying " we got it, we got it." I hurried up and inserted the foley catheter before the tip disappears. Of course before we did all that we medicated the guy. I remembered the guy saying " I wish my parents had me circumcised when I was a baby." I'll never forget it, that was 5 years ago and this topic reminded me of that experience.

Skywalker

a guy in his mid-50's  who's HIV +,decided to have a circumcision

Please remind me what this has to do with the OP's original question?

Why does the guys HIV status have anything to do with the topic?

What is your point please?

hobo

Skywalker I am just telling a full story. I am not trying to make a point, the topic just reminded me of my experience.

For Real

This thread carries the same amount of passion as the handbag thread, but delivered much more forcefully. Who are you fellas trying to convince? Each other?

When my son was born there was no way I was raising a kid whose dick looked different to his dad's. They were trying to shove words like "barbaric" down my throat even back in '79, so the hot air's been blowing at least 35 years. Besides, those floppy socks look disgusting and apparently a lot of women agree.

If I have a son I would recommend he be circumcised, aesthetics aside, no one wants to snap a banjo string whilst in the throes of passion. Every woman I have discussed the topic with (friends, work colleagues & lovers) all prefer men to be chopped and cite sexual stimulation as the main reason.  The skin does nothing but get in the way....that said, female circumcision is barbaric. 

• Like 4

Skywalker

The skin does nothing but get in the way....that said, female circumcision is barbaric. 

Yes I see, this is the voice of reason...............

nature is somehow wrong....

it's okay to mutilate male babies......

yeah I get it.

And the answer to the OP's question is?

Paul

I don't know what the answer is, other than the one I previously posted.

However, Skywalker, you may wish to take a breather, after having seen that you had a minor conflict earlier with another member.

And, for feck's sake! PLEASE stop saying it is mutilating babies! It is removing foreskin. I was not mutilated as a child. My life has gone along just fine without foreskin. 

• Like 2

For Real

Yes I see, this is the voice of reason...............

nature is somehow wrong....

it's okay to mutilate male babies......

yeah I get it.

And the answer to the OP's question is?

Take a chill pill dude. Nature doesn't get it right all the time for everyone.

Surgically removing a piece of skin from a male baby is NOT mutilation.

The answer to the OP is its necessary to those that believe its necessary. 

You keep your dick however you want it - I will never judge coz i'll never see it. 

Snipped or unsnipped doesn't maketh the man

• Like 4

Skywalker
Surgically removing a piece of skin from a male baby is NOT mutilation.

Yeah, actually it is, if it's unnecessary.  But we can agree to disagree.

You agree that it's mutilation from a female baby?

Since what is natural is being surgically removed, how is that natural?  Ergo it's mutilation.  Lets not get caught up in semantics.

But I can see that this topic is beginning to annoy people who are choosing their own reality, I will comment no further.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 1

Jess Bartone

people who are choosing their own reality, I will comment no further.

Pot, kettle, black.  :potkettle:

Comments like this bring to mind a surfer attempting to stay upright on a boiling lashing sea of acidic vitriol.

Circumcision is as good as vaccination.

RogerDuMond

This topic has been closed because, despite warnings, it has become personal and not about "medical issues".