Sign in to follow this  
samatm

Is Tuli (Circumcision) really necessary

ozboy

Suppose nature got it all wrong....

• Like 5

Skywalker
I stood firm over ear piercings - my 13 year-old just had them done

My God daughter (Filipina) had her ears pierced quite soon after she was born, and I was told that is very common here.  

Cosmetic for sure, but hardly surgery.

Edit:  My God daughter has a brother who is now 8 years old.  His parents never got him cut, their thinking was that he could make that decision when he was old enough.

Edited by Skywalker

RogerDuMond

Please don't let the topic become personal.

• Like 3

sugbu777

I have all daughters and all granddaughters so our family was not put in this predicament of having to decide. Had I sons, I don't know what choice I or my wife would have made.

Skywalker

I think the main reason parents have their sons circumcised is for religious reasons (just my guess).

I don't think that is a requirement of the major prevailing faith here.  My Filipino friends tell me it's just a cultural thing.

• Like 1

HeyMike

I don't think that is a requirement of the major prevailing faith here.  My Filipino friends tell me it's just a cultural thing.

I believe you are correct.

Salty Dog

Touchy subject. I see no reason to make such a decision for your child based on whether or not the same decision was or wasn't made for you.

I believe that the sensitivity thing is probably true, but I'm sure those who have had it done would say they feel things just fine. I'm sure many of you can't imagine it being much better. 

I also believe that cleanliness could be a very real issue, but then if your wife/gf are like many Filipina, they make sure it gets a regular thorough cleaning at shower time. Gotta love a Filipina's sense of cleanliness.

This is one of those subjects like politics and religion. Many people don't need a rational reason for their take on the subject. They feel the way they do and no one can ever make them see things different.  

NOSOCALPINOY

How much did it cost taxpayers for that bit of research about the foreskin of a male's penis?

It doesn't take a PHD, rocket scientist or an Einstein to figure out what a circumcision is all about!  :idontknow:

Skywalker

Anyway the HIV thing is a bit of a red herring.  The original question is, is circumcision really necessary.

The simple answer is no.

• Like 1

taiko

So My Lad @ 14 is thinking about it....  I say its all up to you and ( I am glad no one asked me my choice...as I was just 1 month old )       What would you advise you kid.

At 14 he would have already withstood years of teasing in the Philippines for failing in this first manhood ritual. If he can bear a few more years then don't do it but daddy won't be there to protect him from his peers. If he is Muslim there is even more of a cultural push to have it done then if he is just a Filipino.

If he is a young father in the Philippines I would advise he let the doctors take care of his son as an infant since I don't think Filipino culture will meet European culture on this issue and then his son  won't have to deal with it as a young boy as he is right now . Now If you live anywhere outside of the Pacific Islands or Muslim nations I would have the opposite advice for my son.

• Like 1

CNE Tower

When I was 6, I and 5 of my friends, who were of the same age as I was, went to a doctor and asked him to circumcise us in his clinic. When he got the green light from our parents, he gave us the German cut (he trimmed off the foreskin around the neck of the penis). When the anesthesia wore off, boy, did it hurt. We had a nurse change the dressing daily until healing was complete. It was uncomfortable for about 3 days. But after that we were the proudest boys in school, which was run by American and Irish nuns. (If your imagination is running wild, no, they have nothing to do with our decision.)

Other boys who heard about our new look also made the beeline to the doctor. I never knew anybody who was still uncut at 8 years old. All of us went for the cutting voluntarily. This was in the Philippines.

Fast forward in Toronto, I have three sons. One day my eldest son, who was then 7 years old, asked me if it was okay for him and his brothers to be circumcised. I asked him,  why? He said they like to look like me. .

So I told our family doctor about it, and he have us see a doctor who would do the circumcision in the hospital. On C day, all three of my sons were wheeled to the operating room for the ceremony. When they came out of the operating room, all of them were smiling. I arranged for my sister-in-law, who is a nurse, to stay in our house for a few days to take care of them. During the entire period after the anesthesia wore off, not one of them complained. By the way, the procedure was free.

My sons are now grown up men. The two older ones are systems engineers, both of whom play hockey, golf, downhill skiing, snowboarding, and volleyball. The youngest is a business analyst and an amateur boxer. The eldest had introduced his girlfriends (German, Russian, Polish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Filipino-Irish, etc.) to me but is still single. One son is married to a British-Lebanese girl and the other son is married to a Filipina. Circumcision certainly didn't give them Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD).

To all the guys who have everything to say against circumcision, good for you. You have my respect.

In response to the OP, tuli is really not necessary for those who think it's not.

Edited by CNE Tower
  • Like 1

samatm

At 14 he would have already withstood years of teasing in the Philippines for failing in this first manhood ritual. If he can bear a few more years then don't do it but daddy won't be there to protect him from his peers. If he is Muslim there is even more of a cultural push to have it done then if he is just a Filipino.

If he is a young father in the Philippines I would advise he let the doctors take care of his son as an infant since I don't think Filipino culture will meet European culture on this issue and then his son  won't have to deal with it as a young boy as he is right now . Now If you live anywhere outside of the Pacific Islands or Muslim nations I would have the opposite advice for my son.

Well yes and no... as a kid who grew up in the US until grade 4  he didn't grow up just whipping it out in public to pee...  he is more private about pissin'  etc.. and maybe because he goes to an INTL. school it hasn't been that big a deal.  HOwever i think now some of his pinoy mates might be giving him and some of his other Korean friends a bit of go.  

Speaking of which...  i had a good  friend who's kid was born without  an eyelid.. when the child was 1 year old after a year of painstakingly keeping her left eye moisturized a skin graft using the foreskin of her new baby brother was performed and it was a success!  Lil girl now has two eyelids and is only a bit cockeyed in the left. 

• Like 1

Skywalker

At 14 he would have already withstood years of teasing in the Philippines for failing in this first manhood ritual.

What manhood ritual are you talking about?  I've been here a few years now, and I know of no such ritual.  My pinoy friends have never heard of such a thing either.  I agree that in some communities such rituals exist.  But here in the Philippines?

It is an important part of the passage to manhood in certain African Countries, but that is not the case here, as far as I can ascertain.

As for the years of teasing, I asked the father of the boy I mentioned, and he told me his boy has never mentioned any teasing or bullying over the issue, and the father also let me into a secret - he is also uncircumcised, as are his 3 brothers, and they had no problems as school kids.  He considers it a non-issue.  Maybe it's the start of a trend.

I've seen in the newspapers, these travelling circumcision clinics.  Gosh, what a waste of money really.  Aren't there better things to be spending money on?  Sorry I don't mean to appear confrontational, but I consider this practice to be outdated, barbaric and unnecessary.

• Like 1

taiko

The reason for missions and Tuli operations Israel that the cultural push is so strong that boys whose parents didn't or couldn't pay manunuli have been known to cut themselves. It was even a sub plot of sn Ai Ai movie

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

RogerDuMond

Male circumcision reduces the risk that a man will acquire HIV from an infected female partner,

Anyone that is having unprotected sex with someone that they know is infected with HIV has more serious things to worry about than whether they are circumcised or not.

• Like 2