I shrieked like a little girl when i seen what was on me

Wrye83

Yeah, kill the harmless (even though venomous) spider. Personally, I'd rather have a spider that rarely, if ever (likely only when you try to pick one up or disturb it's eggs), bites around than a bunch of disease carrying mosquitoes, cockroaches and other common house pests (their food). I have a rule that no spiders or lizards will be killed in my house......no matter how big they and scary they are. Far too beneficial in my mind. Snakes are to be killed on site though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Wrye83

• KID

• Siuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At least it wasn't a ladyboy's hand.

I have a two-year-old running around the house who is extremely curious about anything that moves (or doesn't). I kill pretty much ALL venomous creatures that decide to make our home their home...and

You deserved everything you got.   Huntsman spider. Harmless and won't bite unless provoked (i.e you squeeze its body).  I have handled dozens of large one's over the years here, always take them ou

Posted Images

Wrye83

Well don't the little lizards scurrying up the walls eat them ?

Some of the spiders are big enough to eat the lizards.

• Like 2

Some of the spiders are big enough to eat the lizards.

The Filipino's must have eaten them all around Manila. Never seen any giant spiders or even any snakes. Only cockroaches you could put a saddle on :)

Wrye83

The Filipino's must have eaten them all around Manila. Never seen any giant spiders or even any snakes. Only cockroaches you could put a saddle on :)

A lack of wildlife in Manila, who would have thunk it?

I remember seeing quite a few when living in Olongapo and Angeles. Harmless buggers that eat cockroaches, I always felt better when I saw a big one run across the floor.

Never had one act aggressive towards me even if I was pestering it, they just ran away.

Oh, BTW, gotta watch out for those Philippine Cobras up in Luzon. One of the most venomous Cobras in the world.

I am a pretty serious arachnaphobe.  I moved to Dauin, south of Dumaguete, six weeks ago and have seen about six of those bad boys scurrying about the house.  The first couple of times was pretty scary, but I seem to be getting better with them. (Exposure therapy seems to actually work.)  The first one was missing four of it's legs.  Something - probably a tuko -  ate a bit of him, but it didn't seem to slow him down much.  Like Headshot noted, they get BIG.

If ya don't have screens and your place is in a rural area, you don't need to watch National Geographic anymore.  You're living it.

The massive wasps also take a bit getting used to.

Don't let the Jurassic nature of the local wildlife dissuade you.  It's frikken awesome living here.

Good to know since I am visiting Dumaguete (and maybe Dauin) in a couple weeks. I managed to get used to the giant cockroaches in NYC (known as water bugs) when I was in college, so I assume I will adjust. Between my wife who I joke with will end up killing me in bed and the bugs/snakes it seems clear that dying of the standard Western retirement boredom is no longer in the cards for me.

• Like 1
Wrye83

Good to know since I am visiting Dumaguete (and maybe Dauin) in a couple weeks. I managed to get used to the giant cockroaches in NYC (known as water bugs) when I was in college, so I assume I will adjust. Between my wife who I joke with will end up killing me in bed and the bugs/snakes it seems clear that dying of the standard Western retirement boredom is no longer in the cards for me.

Your much more likely to be seriously injured or killed in a vehicle accident than by any wildlife here. I wouldn't fret it much.

Though, I about had a heart attack first time I heard a gecko here. Thought for a second some of those filipino monsters might not be the BS I had passed them off to be. The thing was a monster tuko with a crazy deep voice hanging on the ceiling in a pitch black room.

Edited by Wrye83
  • Like 1
I <3 Cebu

Yeah looks like a huntsman ~ variant, scary looking bastards. Once in a blue moon ill find about 100 babies on the ceiling of my place plus occasional adult. KILL EM ALL, ill catch snakes, dive with sharks & rays the size of my living room but will not do spiders... fark that bo

• Like 2
agent17

Keep them around.  They control the roach population.

• Like 1
Paul

If there is ever a question as to whether this forum has some cold-hearted f#ckers as members, just bookmark this thread as reference material.

It will confirm that, yes, this forum does have some cold-hearted f#ckers as members.

• Like 3
manly4eva

Spiders are so misunderstood..ha ha

post-15949-0-54543000-1397000866_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
throttleplate

after the guy flicked it off me i caught it and went and got camera and took pictures and then some guy picked it up and squeezed it to hard and killed it.Set it down and the red ants by a thousand showed up in a few minutes and feasted on the spider.

Humboldt

If there is ever a question as to whether this forum has some cold-hearted f#ckers as members, just bookmark this thread as reference material.

It will confirm that, yes, this forum does have some cold-hearted f#ckers as members.

post-15417-0-88814300-1397007167_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
I <3 Cebu

this forum does have some cold-hearted f#ckers as members.

Ouch, they are only spiders. Their relatives will not attend a tiny church & have a tiny little funeral service.

I love animals, for example, my dog gets 1kg of fresh ground beef & kangaoo a day. Theres people here that feed their kids 2 minute noodles & 60c cans of baked beans for dinner because they spend their welfare money on cigarettes & alcohol, thats what i call cold hearted!

• Like 1
rfm010

The Filipino's must have eaten them all around Manila. Never seen any giant spiders ...

if you see a mango tree check it for golden orb weavers.  they get to be about the size of your hand if they survive long enough and they have a beautiful golden yellow web that can be large enough to entangle a bird. 

a few pics of my pet boris:

still a youngster, wouldn't hold still for a good picture so the colors don't show:

2sbocx0.jpg

back in the tree:

vx0n86.jpg

with three smaller spiders, maybe the males?

2i6gwpl.jpg

• Like 1