Sign in to follow this  
throttleplate

I shrieked like a little girl when i seen what was on me

throttleplate

i was having a beer with an expat at a outdoor bar and i left to go home and i stopped to talk to the guys working in a shop next to my place when a woman sitting down said to me ,hey you have a spider on your leg.I was at the gym earlier and was wearing basketball shorts and long black socks up to me knees and so i looked at my legs and shrieked and said GET IT OFF ME,the lady got up and moved away from me and the spider was on my calf and it had full acess to my groin if it wanted to take move on up.

A guy flicked it off and said it was poisonous,another said it is a house spider,its the biggest spider i ever had on me as it had long legs.I took close up pics of it and will try to upload them.post-7942-0-39763500-1396957431_thumb.jpgpost-7942-0-13781800-1396957474_thumb.jpgpost-7942-0-81680100-1396957522_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Britishandproud

Eugh lol, I despise spiders and insects!

• Like 1

KID

They usually don't eat much

• Like 3

Fred M

At least it wasn't a ladyboy's hand.

• Like 7

contraman

"I shrieked like a little girl when i seen what was on me"

How brave of you.

If that was me, you wouldn't have heard a thing.

Not because I am big brave and hairy.

Its because I would have fainted :)

• Like 4

Humboldt

We get those spider's in our house , they are very fast and large , Scare's  the hell out of our baby

wife said they harmless ,

building our guest  house on the  mountain side , I felt something crawling on my neck , brushed  it off worker said very poisonous

brown rock spider  he said it could kill you , as he stepped on it fast .

lamoe

Don't blame you one bit.

Had nightmares about spiders for years after being covered by them. Still overreact when surprised by them.

Headshot

It's a huntsman spider. They do get very big here, and this is the time of year they go "walk about" (as the Aussies say) looking for a mate. They are venomous, but they seldom bite. Supposedly, their bite is like a very bad wasp sting, but won't likely kill you unless you are allergic to the venom. Nevertheless, it isn't something you want on you. I kill them whenever I see them in the house, but as long as they stay outside (and off my body), they can live a long and happy life as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

JamesMusslewhite

the local kids play with them. They are a tree spider and I have never know them to bite anyone.

Siuk

and was wearing basketball shorts and long black socks up to me knees

You deserved everything you got.

Huntsman spider. Harmless and won't bite unless provoked (i.e you squeeze its body).  I have handled dozens of large one's over the years here, always take them outside if I find them in the house.  And I hope anyone who kills them wakes up one morning with one pooping on his forehead.

• Like 5

Headshot

You deserved everything you got.

I hope anyone who kills them wakes up one morning with one pooping on his forehead.

I have a two-year-old running around the house who is extremely curious about anything that moves (or doesn't). I kill pretty much ALL venomous creatures that decide to make our home their home...and I really don't care what anybody else thinks about that.

• Like 6

jigsy

Problem is, how many of us can take a chance? How many can take time consider with any knowledge whether they are venomous or not? If we grew up here we would recognize most critters, but most of us 'new' to the place just do not have the knowledge.

With kids in the house, I tend to attempt to isolate first and think later. If I kill in my attempt to isolate, then so be it.

• Like 2

davewe

The more I read these stories about spiders and snakes the more I think I have to have my head examined for wanting to move to PI.

As to the question of kill it or capture and take outside, I am reminded of the scene with the spider in Annie Hall, when Alvy yells, "What do you want me to do? Rehabilitate it!"

• Like 4

Irenicus

The more I read these stories about spiders and snakes the more I think I have to have my head examined for wanting to move to PI.

I am a pretty serious arachnaphobe.  I moved to Dauin, south of Dumaguete, six weeks ago and have seen about six of those bad boys scurrying about the house.  The first couple of times was pretty scary, but I seem to be getting better with them. (Exposure therapy seems to actually work.)  The first one was missing four of it's legs.  Something - probably a tuko -  ate a bit of him, but it didn't seem to slow him down much.  Like Headshot noted, they get BIG.

If ya don't have screens and your place is in a rural area, you don't need to watch National Geographic anymore.  You're living it.

The massive wasps also take a bit getting used to.

Don't let the Jurassic nature of the local wildlife dissuade you.  It's frikken awesome living here.

• Like 4

KID

I moved to Dauin, south of Dumaguete, six weeks ago and have seen about six of those bad boys scurrying about the house.

Well don't the little lizards scurrying up the walls eat them ?