Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Snakes in the Garden?

hyaku

Its unavoidable we have snakes. The neighborhood keeps pigs and chickens. Few keep food in containers. Rats and mice and everything else's come for chicken/pig food. In turn come the snakes.

Cobra in the garden last week. My fault as I gave it a home by not pulling up a dead tree to live in. I shoot em or throw a cleaver. Have not missed yet. They don't usually attack unless threatened. A neighbour died last year. She was picking lemon grass for cooking and was bit in the ankle. Some big monitor lizards here too.

Mikala

i am curious now as to what you were actually killing.

Your curiosity piqued my curiosity. Of course, as a youngster, I went along with whatever my father told us. Looks like we killed all kinds of non-venomous snakes. Even the Northern water snakes were misidentified as water moccasins (venomous). I never knew that water moccasins don't live in Michigan. I'd scold my father, but he's already passed on to the Great Beyond.

Seems a good number of snakes in Michigan are now endangered. Probably due to poorly educated farmers and their ill-educated sons killing them!

I guess I'm guilty of mass murder of non-venomous snakes. I'd drink away my sorrows at Mango Square, but I'm too afraid of internal organ damage from the volume levels of the music!

Thanks for increasing my education though!

Lee

Just for information, Spitting Cobras are something to be aware of Cobras Spit Venom at Eyes With Nearly Perfect Aim

Another thing to be cautious of for the children is rear fanged snakes, which while some may be very small such as tree snakes, if they get a child's finger in their mouth they could possibly harm them by injecting venom,  probably best to teach children to give all snakes a wide distance. 

quit_yume

Your curiosity piqued my curiosity. Of course, as a youngster, I went along with whatever my father told us. Looks like we killed all kinds of non-venomous snakes. Even the Northern water snakes were misidentified as water moccasins (venomous). I never knew that water moccasins don't live in Michigan. I'd scold my father, but he's already passed on to the Great Beyond.

Seems a good number of snakes in Michigan are now endangered. Probably due to poorly educated farmers and their ill-educated sons killing them!

I guess I'm guilty of mass murder of non-venomous snakes. I'd drink away my sorrows at Mango Square, but I'm too afraid of internal organ damage from the volume levels of the music!

Thanks for increasing my education though!

i appreciate your honesty about it. .  down south i seen tons of harmless snakes killed by rednecks insisting they just saved their families lives.    no reasoning with them..

quit_yume

Didn't know, so ran a Google image search.

Says it's a California red sided garter snake.

There seem to be many different variations in color though.

They have discovered that garter snakes are venomous, though not dangerous to humans.

there are a lot of different subspecies of garter snake...  just like there are different colors of people in different places, those garter snakes are colored differently in different locations.   some of the prettiest ones are captive bred where they take pretty animals from different locations and breed them to combine the colors.  they get the blues from northern florida.. the lime greens from southern florida and combine those 2 with the reds from california.. and when they are lucky they get offspring that have all the pretty colors combined.   however, there are some truly outstandingly pretty wild populations in various places.  one of the prettiest is the rarest as its habitat has been almost completely wiped out.   a remnant population exist on the grounds of LAX and is protected.   big fines if you are found with that particular subspecies.   but there are other subspecies in the vicinity that are nearly as pretty and those are more commonly used in the breeding programs

hyaku

I kept snakes when I was a kid. But I have to draw the line at a venomous one living meters away from the house. Most I see are just traveling through. Once I had one come down the roof to force his way through the bars in a hanging birdcage. With the bird in his mouth he couldn't get back out. One cobra here killed my doberman.