Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Snakes in the Garden?

Mikala

Having read numerous comments about King Cobras (unrelated to Elvis), sea snakes, pit vipers, coral snakes, pythons, etc..., what is the recommendation when encountering such reptiles?

Growing up on a farm in Michigan, USA, we killed the venomous snakes and left the other snakes alone.

I've read where Filipinos go out and kill King Cobras to prevent them spreading into towns.

Is the general consensus to kill any and all venomous snakes (and pythons) seen, found, run across, aware of, etc.??

Are there ANY snakes in the Philippines that are NOT hazardous to my health?

sjp

Two houses being built near mine. 3 cobras found on one property and 1 found on the other. The 3 on the one property were killed while the other one escaped. I didn,t realize there were so many snakes in populated areas.  Does any one know if most hospitals here are capable to handle cobra bites and how long do you have to seek help after being bitten

sperry

Two houses being built near mine. 3 cobras found on one property and 1 found on the other. The 3 on the one property were killed while the other one escaped. I didn,t realize there were so many snakes in populated areas.  Does any one know if most hospitals here are capable to handle cobra bites and how long do you have to seek help after being bitten

i was told on camiguin that if you were bitten by a snake you dies. 

no anti-venom and no-one could afford it even if there was.  i suspect it was true.   

• Like 1

Bill H

For a country with so many venomous snakes, there is a surprising lack of anti-venom here.  What, two years or so ago, a guy was bit by a cobra at the Cebu zoo and there was no anti-venom to be had.  It had to be flown in to save his life.  So, the moral of the story is....don't get bit!

Headshot

Having read numerous comments about King Cobras (unrelated to Elvis), sea snakes, pit vipers, coral snakes, pythons, etc..., what is the recommendation when encountering such reptiles?

Growing up on a farm in Michigan, USA, we killed the venomous snakes and left the other snakes alone.

I've read where Filipinos go out and kill King Cobras to prevent them spreading into towns.

Is the general consensus to kill any and all venomous snakes (and pythons) seen, found, run across, aware of, etc.??

Don't get close to any snake here unless you can absolutely, positively identify it as non-venomous. There are lots of non-venomous snakes here, but there are also cobras (which can be pretty non-descript), vipers (that have a triangular head) and some other venomous snakes as well. Don't mess with any snake that is dark gray or has any green or yellow on its body. I would never kill any python. I might capture it, and move it someplace where it won't cause problems, but I wouldn't kill them. Snakes keep the rats, mice and other little critters under control. If you kill them, then the things they prey on will multiply and take over.

Does any one know if most hospitals here are capable to handle cobra bites and how long do you have to seek help after being bitten

For the most part...no. Anti-venom has to be shipped in from other locations...even in the Cebu Metro area. How long do you have to be treated? What kind of snake? How much venom was injected? Where on your body were you bitten?

hookedtothenet

There are more non-venomous snakes here than venomous ones. King cobra's are very rarely encountered in the Philippines, hard to find. They are more commonly seen down south in Bukidnon and surrounding area's although they do occur on other islands. The other Philippine cobra's are more common are spitters so be careful when approaching.

Best advice is to stay away from them and not try to kill them. If they pose a immediate risk, try to coax them to move away from the area with a long stick and wear eye protection.

There are other venomous species here that you have to worry about, but to be honest they are also not commonly encountered, snakes by nature are usually more scared of us and they will try to escape if they see us, just don't corner them.

A friend here has been bitten by a cobra and was treated symptomatically, he didn't receive antivenin and is fine today, but everyone reacts differently and it depends on how much venom is injected also. Generally though Cobra and coral snake bites would normally need antivenin, however there isn't much available here in the Philippines apparently, so it would be a matter of 'Hope & Pray'.

Vipers here are generally not life threatening but they can cause muscle and nerve damage, necrosis of the bite area is common, leading to long term recovery and probably skin grafts also.

All that being said, I have actively sought out to find reptile species here and they are hard to find, usually the case of when your not looking you find! LOL! ;)

I have a PDF of Venomous snakes of the Philippines I downloaded if anyone wants a copy message me.

• Like 2

sjp

I googled it and there are around 5000 snake bites a year in the Philippines ( those are the reported cases ) and 300 resulting deaths. In the case of surviving bites the venom causes nerve damage of all different types causing different disabilities. Mostly young children and older people die from a bite. I read where one 6 year old died in the Philippines 3 hours after the bite.

Headshot

I have had a seven-foot python in my yard (which my neighbors killed before I could stop them), a small racer (that my maid killed as soon as she saw it) that was also non-venomous, and several worm snakes (that I released into a wilder area) that are actually somewhat venomous. The reason I know the worm snakes are venomous is that I caught one using a folded paper towel, and the snake turned and bit the towel, quickly soaking the spot on the towel where it bit with a pretty large quantity of venom (for the size of the snake). Even though they are somewhat venomous, I don't see the worm snakes as much of a threat to people, since they are so small. About the only place they could bite you would be between your fingers or between your toes. Besides, worm snakes are good because they eat termites and ants and their larvae. Nevertheless, I have to release them outside of my property to make sure they don't get killed. ALL snakes are identified by the locals as cobras.

post-6379-0-17863400-1396852363_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

roaddog

I haven't seen a snake one. Did see one of those big lizards out past Badian one time. Hard to spot a bird. It's sad, almost no wild life left and soon none. 

thebob

We often have house snakes. They like to live in drawers. As soon as you open the draw they slitter off. No drama.

Kreole

I googled it and there are around 5000 snake bites a year in the Philippines ( those are the reported cases ) and 300 resulting deaths. In the case of surviving bites the venom causes nerve damage of all different types causing different disabilities. Mostly young children and older people die from a bite. I read where one 6 year old died in the Philippines 3 hours after the bite.

the title is An Overview of the Venomous Snakes of the Philippines, and it is a Power Point Presentation.  Excellent resource if you are interested in reptiles, which I am.  Snakes are some of the most beautiful animals in the world.  The variety of colors and patterns is just stunning, and their ability to do things that you could not imagine, like climb tall trees with vertical trunks and no limbs to hang onto.  Also there is a variety of snake that can glide, like a flying squirrel.  I would love to see more live snakes here, but have only encountered several dead ones in the road, one of which was a Philippine cobra.  

I am on Siquijor island, and recently, when I was in Cebu, my neighbor texted me that several cobras had been encountered on his property, one of which was in the storage room.  He personally did not see them and does not know what happened to them.  Since most people find snakes revolting and terrifying, they think that the only good snake is a dead one.  Of course they are ignorant of the fact that the snakes serve a vital ecological function by keeping  pests under control.  As an example, there is a community in India where the locals had hunted and killed most of the snakes in the area.  Not long thereafter their crops were destroyed by rats and other vermin.  This scenario has occurred in different places and different times, with the same result.  

Admittedly no one wants to encounter a snake in the dark or hidden close to a path, and certainly not in their garden or home.  The only snake that is actively aggressive when molested is the Black Mamba, but it does not occur in the RP.  Otherwise snakes take every opportunity to escape or avoid contact with humans, and only bite in defense.  Interestingly, some bites do not envenomate the person, and that may be why some people survive without anti-venom.  Venom is a precious commodity, and snakes will consciously not inject it.  It is my hope to encounter snakes in the wild for observation purposes only, especially the Reticulated Python, which is the longest snake in the world with the Green Anaconda following a close second.  But the anaconda can weigh close to over 500 pounds and have the girth of a man's waist.  Unfortunately in the RP, snakes are killed indiscriminately and the python is actually killed for its meat.

Certainly living in an environment with venomous snakes can be risky, but the odds of encountering one are slim, and the odds of being bitten are even slimmer.  The majority of snake bites in the RP happen in rice fields or other agricultural areas where the snakes hunt rats and other vermin.  And they do live near populated areas because rats also live there.  Being cautious should become second nature to those of us living in the proximity of venomous snakes or anything venomous for that matter.  Since the majority of people live close to these beautiful creatures without incident, so, I feel that it would be a privilege to see them on occasion.  

quit_yume

there is only 1 rather small and timid venomous snake in Michigan..  the Massasauga..  i believe it is also rather rare and protected by law.    known to be shy and sluggish..     they also dont typically inhabit farmland..    i am curious now as to what you were actually killing.

Salty Dog

Snakes are some of the most beautiful animals in the world.  The variety of colors and patterns is just stunning

download (2).jpg

Headshot

post-6379-0-59398700-1396885765_thumb.jpg

That is a gorgeous snake. What is it and where is it found?

Salty Dog

That is a gorgeous snake. What is it and where is it found?

Didn't know, so ran a Google image search.

Says it's a California red sided garter snake.

There seem to be many different variations in color though.

They have discovered that garter snakes are venomous, though not dangerous to humans.