Sign in to follow this  
fivestarph

Cocktail Party?

fivestarph

I understand that the British Ambassador was in Cebu last Friday hosting a cocktail party for the new Hon British Consul at the Cebu Country Club.

As a matter of interest how many British Citizens were invited to the event?

contraman

Maybe your invitation is in the mail :)

fivestarph

Given the speed of the local post system more than likely.

• Like 1

4thDan

Hell you couldn't have gone in shorts and flip flops anyway.    :unknw:

• Like 1

fivestarph

True but somewhere I do have a clean collared shirt.

Edited by fivestarph

Fred M

I was. Excellent night and the canapés were divine.

• Like 1

Kuting

do all brits suppose to get invites to events like this?

jigsy

Definitely not all Brits. Maybe if you are registered with the Embassy, that's a start.

Kuting

Definitely not all Brits. Maybe if you are registered with the Embassy, that's a start.

I didn't think so but asked anyway as i got the impression someone was expecting it and disappointed for not being invited.. but that's only an impression, not putting words into their mouth.

jigsy

I didn't think so but asked anyway as i got the impression someone was expecting it and disappointed for not being invited.. but that's only an impression, not putting words into their mouth.

More a case of who you know I think. Must be 1000+ Brits in Cebu so no way all could be invited anyhow. I never register with the Embassy, but I suppose it's one way to give yourself a chance of an invite.

fivestarph

ha, surprised there's so many Brits in Cebu. Maybe i should register with the Embassy for a start and buy some long pants and shoes just in case. 

Ricky

For funding justification, these kind of embassy organised events normally have to involve local business people, government officials etc. A few Brits come much further down the list and tend to be personal friends of embassy staff or involved in trade in the country. They don't just open up to random expats..

lopburi3

As said diplomatic receptions are to mingle with local officials and business people so some Embassy staff, other foreign officials, some NGO and foreign business leaders would be a normal mix.  Unless you are a former high diplomat registered with your Embassy it is unlikely the invitation was mailed on basis of Embassy registration.  It is mostly an unofficial gathering to exchange ideas and make contracts for all involved - not exactly something most of us would be wanting to attend so don't believe we are missing much by being homebodies. 

sperry

so who is the honorary british consul?

jigsy

Tamsin Booth right?