CIE or Bright Academy

nixon1972

Forgive me please if this topic has been addressed in the forum somewhere, if so I could not find anywhere.

My wife and 2 sons (ages 10 and 15) will be relocating from the US to Cebu City so I am looking at schooling options.  I am considering CIE or Bright Academy and wanted to see if any of the forum users could provide any insight on their experiences with either school.

A little background:  My wife is from Cebu and wants to be closer to her family.  My sons have always spent their summers in Cebu with the relatives so they love Cebu and are completely fluent in Cebuano (they can even translate when I get in trouble with the Mrs and get yelled at!!).   They are good students as well so adjusting to school and life in Cebu will be no problem.  

In addition to the actual time spent at school we will be able to deploy other resources such as Kumon, tutors, etc.   My goal is to provide a good education and then be able to have them transition into a university in US or UK.

Thank you for your help.

If you want them to go to University in UK or US, then Bright Academy should not be an option. CIE, CIS or Ateneo would be better. There was a discussion on this very recently.

• Like 1
stevehann

When I looked into this matter 6 years ago, CIE made the short list. I have heard some complaints that students are encouraged to go to CIE tutoring, which kind of defeats the purpose of paying tuition. But, tutoring is quite common in private schools here, so I would not hold it against them.

samatm

look for an IB program  .. I believe that is CIS .. perhaps CIE as well.      OR  online education from your Home USA state....a much cheaper option ..giving you freedom to travel etc.. or  I hope you  have fat war chest to pay for the two lads education at CIE or CIS ... 

• Like 1
Headshot

Regardless of where the kids go to school in the Philippines, they will have to take (and score well on) the ACT and SAT in the US (they can be taken on Guam) before they can get into a decent university in the US. I don't know if the UK has a similar requirement, but I wouldn't be surprised. My short list of private schools would be CIS, CIE and SHS Ateneo de Cebu. No other private schools would make the list because their emphasis isn't enough on academics. Also, remember that there are a lot of schools masquerading as international schools...but they aren't internationally accredited.

There is a public option as well (if your kids are smart enough to pass the entrance exam and to get good enough grades stay in the school). That is the National Science High School. Any of the schools I mentioned would probably stand your children in good stead on being able to score well on any entrance exam (like the SAT). Other schools (both public and private spend too much time on entertainment and not enough time on education.

If you decide to also have your children tutored, remember to make wise choices when hiring tutors. Most of those tutoring here are either students themselves or those who were not able to pass the teacher certification exam for whatever reason. Also, make sure you track what is being taught (both in school and by tutors)...regardless of how highly rated the school or tutor is. There is a lot of misinformation taught as fact in the schools here, so you need to protect your children from it as much as possible. The only way you can do that is to be very involved in your children's education.

Edited by Headshot
arentol

Jigsy is spot-on and one of the previous discussions can be found here.

For what it's worth, we send our 6 year old to CIE and it's been a great experience -- she'll complete her first school year in a few weeks. The Administration is quite helpful/friendly and, most importantly, everyone speaks English. This goes from the top-down... when I stand in the waiting area for my daughter to come out of class, all of the kids walk by me from all different grades (Grade 1 to college)... without exception, every one of them speaks in English. I think it's quite telling that the students speak English of their own volition outside of the classroom. Many schools here desperately want to create such an environment (ever notice all the "Speak English!" signs in schools?), but cannot for numerous reasons.

Regarding the tutoring: it's run by Kumon and is located near the entrance of CIE. It's optional and if you don't want to do it, then don't, no big deal. Personally I haven't seen many kids using the Kumon facilities (I stand outside of the place every weekday), but that's just my observation.

About accreditation: CIE is internationally accredited via Cambridge and CIS is accredited by IB. The only other school in Cebu with an international accreditation is Woodbridge International -- Cambridge for pre-school only. Outside of those three, no other schools here are internationally accredited though many claim to be.

About DepEd and Tagalog: In non-international schools, the Filipino/Tagalog language is a requirement from K2 onwards. Before CIE our daughter was enrolled at non-international school and would come home crying every day... we speak only English in our home and, of course, she was frustrated because the Filipino subject was taught entirely in Filipino -- she had no idea what anyone was saying. This is a consideration for those parents who want to maintain an English-speaking environment in their home.

International schools, however, follow a variant of the DepEd regulations regarding Filipino -- language basics are taught in English and is coupled with Filipino culture (Filipiniana).

I hope this helps and best of luck.

Regards,

Aren

If you want them to go to University in UK or US, then Bright Academy should not be an option. CIE, CIS or Ateneo would be better. There was a discussion on this very recently.

Agree with arentol. We looked at CIE and would have happily sent our kids there. However, there we already in the IB programme, so opted for CIS.