Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Nice DIY project, Murphy Picnic Table

Jeepney

I don't think it will have a long live after a visit from a few heavy bodied guys!

Skywalker

It's cute, if you don't have kids,and you don't weight too much, or have a predilection to over indulging in Red Horse.

mikejwoodnz

I'm a scotch drinker it does no look iike a very sturdy platform for dancing the highland fling

• Like 3

Paul

Saw this on fb and thought some here might be interested.

TJ, are the plans included on that site?

SkyMan

It's supposed to have come from http://www.farmerspal.com/

but I couldn't find any plans there.  Looks like you could just use some CAD software to come up with one on your own however large you want.  As for sturdiness it depends on the designer and materials.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

by the looks of the X legs- with what seems like no lateral support, I would expect the legs to break off quite quickly 

Paul

That was what I was thinking, when I asked about the plans. For bigger guys, I don't think this would work out very well. 

Ozbrum

Bigger guys =. Bigger timber, bigger fixings , bigger hinges... All is Relative

• Like 1

thebob

I think it is great. My only problem is that I don't have a wall!

• Like 2

Headshot

I haven't figured out how the table hinges on (or hooks to) the wall. The end of the table starts out at the base of the wall but seems to hinge a few feet up the wall. Come to think of it, the benches don't end up where they start either, but they have two sets of legs for greater stability. They would still have to be anchored to the wall though.

SkyMan

I haven't figured out how the table hinges on (or hooks to) the wall. The end of the table starts out at the base of the wall but seems to hinge a few feet up the wall.
Right, probably the biggest difficulty in duplicating this design.  Must be some sort of pegs sliding up the rails or something.

Come to think of it, the benches don't end up where they start either, but they have two sets of legs for greater stability. They would still have to be anchored to the wall though.
O was thinking it might be better on the benches to have a way to lock the legs down and not attach to the wall so they could move closer or farther from the table for comfort?
  • Like 1

Mr. Mike

Nice idea...one could paint "ivy" vines on the underside so when not in use it would look like a garden trellis...just sayin.

thebob

I haven't figured out how the table hinges on (or hooks to) the wall. The end of the table starts out at the base of the wall but seems to hinge a few feet up the wall.

Must be some sort of pegs sliding up the rails or something.

I was thinking of heavy duty draw slides.

D_D

Right, probably the biggest difficulty in duplicating this design.  

I have built 3 murphy beds at my condos so far. 2 King and 1 queen.

I used solid mahogany frames,  flex and memory foam mattresses and big mirrors on the front with in up position They weigh a lot, but a small Filipina could raise it up and down with ease. 

A table is easy ! If I have time I can show you how to do it.