Sign in to follow this  
billy

Condos starting to faulter

HeyMike

I believe a condo could be called a home, but it is not a house. And a horse is a horse, of course, of course...

• Like 3

smokey

I believe a condo could be called a home, but it is not a house. And a horse is a horse, of course, of course...

seems like you have been talking to Mr. ED

bkkmarlowe

Noah ark can fit really big things

And dont forget the case of Tanduay! Noah would never leave port and sail the high seas without a toddy of rum before bed.

• Like 1

Oasis Monarch

Oh Bill, you forgot to mention, you'll carry on enjoying living on land you don't own, and you never will.  

Good luck in your sweet nirvana.  And don't forget you enjoy that privilege, because my title is far more secure than no title!  :rose:

Well, yes, if you are single. However, if you are married, or even cohabitating, your title is no more secure than a land title. Do you remember the case a few years ago on Camiguin? A foreigner bought land in his girlfriend's name and built a fancy house on it. Virtually the day the builder handed over the keys, the girlfriend kicked him out, but the gentleman took it to court and showed the judge that he had paid for everything. The judge ruled that the property must be sold and the profits divided equally between the former couple... exactly the same as would happen in your country or my country. But if you're single and plan to stay single, then of course you have no worries at all, do you?

1. In the "Camiguin" case, from what information I can gather from your post, it involved a Lot/Land bought by the "foreigner" in his girlfriend's name. It is not clear who had the title to the house that was built on the land. Let us assume the house was in the girlfriend's name also.

2. We have now a case of a "foreigner" going to court to seek redress for the unfair/unjust way in which the "girlfriend kicked him out" of a house/lot which was solely paid for by the "foreigner".

3. In the case of a condo, assuming a "foreigner" solely pays for and has sole title to the condo, it is the girlfriend/spouse (who did not pay a single Peso) who has to initiate court action to seek any share in the condo's title; that is assuming the "foreigner" has behaved in a similarly unjust/unfair way to his girlfriend/spouse and the latter has an actionable claim. 

4. Which situation would one rather be in? Furthermore, in the condo case it is unlikely that the girlfriend/spouse would have any incentive to behave in the blatantly unfair manner as in the "Camiguin" case.

• Like 1

I <3 Cebu

I have never understood the fascination with Condos.  Unless there have been major changes and upgrades; the Cebu fire department is unable to do much of anything past the 7th story.  How tall are these new buildings?  Who wants to live in a building where there is little chance of help for the residents on the upper floors?  Just a disaster waiting to happen I think.

I don't get it either. A stupid investment & average place to live.. sure you might have stone benchtops & a tiny balcony with a veiw, but it's basically a flash prison cell in my opinion. My idea of a relaxed life in the Philippines is not living in a city condo with speeding cars/bikes,beeping horns,beggars,theives,raw sewage.. list goes on, at street level.

Edited by I <3 Cebu
  • Like 1

Skywalker

My condo title is the same as my immediate neighbours title, and he is a Singaporean National.  

My Filipono neighbour a couple of floors below mine, also has a title deed for his condo, which is exactly the same legal instrument as all the other condo owners.

Titles are registered with the Republic of the Philippines Department of Justice, Land Registry Authority, Quezon City, Registry of Deeds for Cebu City.  There is a title number and a full description of what I own.  Legally own as a foreigner.  It is clear cut, unambiguous and straightforward.

The land is subject to a separate title deed, known as a Master Deed.  This covers ownership of the land that the condominium building stands on.  Because as has been repeatedly pointed out - FOREIGNERS CANNOT OWN LAND.  It is encompassed in the constitution.

So, being married to a person who owns land here is almost meaningless as far as ownership of that land is concerned.

Don't shoot the messenger!

• Like 1

Salty Dog

speeding cars/bikes,beeping horns,beggars,theives,raw sewage.. list goes on, at street level.

Everyone has their reasons for or against condos and/or city living, but the things you mentioned above are hardly unique to just city living in the Philippines.

I've lived in small towns and even spent some time living in the mountains in a one-room hut. I've seen all those things you mentioned there as well. 

• Like 5

Skywalker

Perhaps some of you married guys who live in houses in the Countryside should be reminded how precarious your legal position is, instead of glibly pointing and sniggering at us condo owners.

You own no land.  If you annoy your wife, she can dispossess you in a New York minute.

I've lived in SEA for many years and I have seen this happen many times.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Jess Bartone

Yes Jess, I am stupid.  Happy now?

Billy started the thread by basically saying don't buy a condo, because prices are going to crash.  I don't agree.

He then said I shouldn't talk, because he's got more money than me.

And I am the nasty one?

Our moderator Bill said he couldn't understand the idea of condo ownership, so I explained that foreigners can't own land, and therefore a condo is a viable purchase.

Bruce Wayne then indicates that having title to a condo may be foolish, since someone could just come along and demolish the building.  Lovely thing to say!

If fact, you even berated me for being single.  Hypocrisy rears it's ugly head.

I don't understand where you think I have been nasty, and if I have I apologise.   :yahoo:  Perhaps a re-read might be in order, since I have been tackled off the ball a few times also!

Berated? Your thoughts might make perfect sense to yourself, but to my mind this convoluted explanation defines your personality. Remember, we are in cyber space, not real life.

isn't a condo a persons house ?  Maybe he forgot himself and did not say MY CONDO instead of my house my house could also be a condo

I always admire loyalty to one's peers, bravo Smokey, but in this particular case you are splitting hairs when in fact a precise distinction between a house and a condo is at the core of the discussion.

In the case of a condo, assuming a "foreigner" solely pays for and has sole title to the condo, it is the girlfriend/spouse (who did not pay a single Peso) who has to initiate court action to seek any share in the condo's title; that is assuming the "foreigner" has behaved in a similarly unjust/unfair way to his girlfriend/spouse and the latter has an actionable claim.

Precisely. Philippines law recognises De Facto relationships, and therein may lie a warning to anyone considering moving a girlfriend into the condo they personally own.

But what is your point?

Lee

It amazes me how judgmental some members tend to be. :shocked:  Do we who live in condos attack those that choose to live in houses. 

Well I can tell you that we had decided that we like living in a condo so much after living in our condo in Cebu, that we sold our house in Florida and now live in a condo there as well. To each his own and while it would never be my wish to try to tell those that live in houses that they should move to a condo, I cannot understand why it is some of your wishes to try to tell me how I and others should live, and then to top that off, by insulting our way of life.  Live and let live, didn't your parents ever teach you that if you do not have something good to say that, you should not say anything at all. :( 

Condo life is not for everyone and all your insults and attacks will not make those of us who enjoy living in condos decide to sell them cheap, so get on with your lives and let us enjoy ours.

Will the prices fall, time will tell. 

• Like 8

NOSOCALPINOY

The topic was about condos faltering whether in price or sales, but also concerning of g/fs and or wives rights vs the foreigner husband's rights;

http://nreaphilippines.com/question-on-philippine-real-estate/property-relations-between-husband-and-wife/

• Like 1

Skywalker

NOSOCALPINOY, I just speed read that webpage, and it appears to concern Pinoy marriages.

sperry

Sprinklers are of little use if a fire starts far enough below them, too much like peeing on a forest fire in my opinion.

um wont the sprinklers start up as the fire mounts

and wont they tend to stop the fire starting in the first place?

Edited by sperry

sperry

I don't get it either. A stupid investment & average place to live.. sure you might have stone benchtops & a tiny balcony with a veiw, but it's basically a flash prison cell in my opinion. My idea of a relaxed life in the Philippines is not living in a city condo with speeding cars/bikes,beeping horns,beggars,theives,raw sewage.. list goes on, at street level.

are you you love Cebu?   time to chnage your nickname

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

It amazes me how judgmental some members tend to be. :shocked:  Do we who live in condos attack those that choose to live in houses. 

Well I can tell you that we had decided that we like living in a condo so much after living in our condo in Cebu, that we sold our house in Florida and now live in a condo there as well. To each his own and while it would never be my wish to try to tell those that live in houses that they should move to a condo, I cannot understand why it is some of your wishes to try to tell me how I and others should live, and then to top that off, by insulting our way of life.  Live and let live, didn't your parents ever teach you that if you do not have something good to say that, you should not say anything at all. :(

Condo life is not for everyone and all your insults and attacks will not make those of us who enjoy living in condos decide to sell them cheap, so get on with your lives and let us enjoy ours.

Will the prices fall, time will tell. 

post-2331-0-91046500-1396089909.jpg