Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Old House to New House

JohnSurrey

Very nice

• Like 1

Headshot

This is a fairly good video explaining the construction and strength of steel-reinforced foam panels like I used for my second floor walls...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PhilsFan

Is this method cheaper than hollow block too?  (after install w/labor, etc.)  

My thoughts currently are using earth-bag tech on the 1st floor followed by rice hull-filled bag for 2nd floor as it's much lighter.  This ancient tech has excellent fire/insect/compression and earthquake resistance.

I am planning to build a smaller home in the Province for visiting relatives, etc and will not build Nipa.

SRC sounds like a great way to go...but at what expense in the Province? Hmm. Looks like I need to review your previous posts on this tech again, Lol. Thanks for the video.

Edited by PhilsFan

SkyMan

4:00  You can build up to 3 floors without traditional posts. ð

Headshot
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

4:00  You can build up to 3 floors without traditional posts. ð

Yeah, that's what they say. Being a bit conservative, I wanted more of a safety factor than they offer. Plus, with no vertical columns, you really have nothing to solidly anchor the steel roof framing. Yeah, you could run some rebar up through the panels and anchor the roof framing to that, but how effective will it be in a super typhoon? I used the foam panels between my steel framing, which, to me, had little downside other than a little additional cost (not much in relation to the total costs of the construction. They also said the foam panels can be use for floor and roof panels. As much as I like the panels, I don't see them as a good solution in anything but a vertical application. The structure of my house was designed and signed off on by a licensed structural engineer. I used the structure he recommended.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

oztony
9 hours ago, Headshot said:

Yeah, that's what they say. Being a bit conservative, I wanted more of a safety factor than they offer. Plus, with no vertical columns, you really have nothing to solidly anchor the steel roof framing. Yeah, you could run some rebar up through the panels and anchor the roof framing to that, but how effective will it be in a super typhoon? I used the foam panels between my steel framing, which, to me, had little downside other than a little additional cost (not much in relation to the total costs of the construction. They also said the foam panels can be use for floor and roof panels. As much as I like the panels, I don't see them as a good solution in anything but a vertical application. The structure of my house was designed and signed off on by a licensed structural engineer. I used the structure he recommended.

This post in it's entirety is wise and correct , and the path you chose with the engineering of your structure was absolutely the best way to go , I agree wholeheartedly that a vertical application is the only practical use for this product , although I have seen it used under a poured concrete roof for the insulation value ...as far as a stand alone for roof and floor no freaking way ....

• Like 3