• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Puerto man

• smokey

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't take pictures right after the 2010 remodel, but in early 2011, we added a water tower (to increase water pressure) above the back storage room and added anapog to the side yard to create a go

It is not completely done (hardscaping and landscaping still ongoing), but here is what the exterior of the house looks like now...          

In this thread, I will attempt to take you through the process of performing a major remodel on my house. When we first purchased the property in 2010, I was looking for potential more than for finish

Posted Images

Headshot

This is a fairly good video explaining the construction and strength of steel-reinforced foam panels like I used for my second floor walls...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
PhilsFan

Is this method cheaper than hollow block too?  (after install w/labor, etc.)  

My thoughts currently are using earth-bag tech on the 1st floor followed by rice hull-filled bag for 2nd floor as it's much lighter.  This ancient tech has excellent fire/insect/compression and earthquake resistance.

I am planning to build a smaller home in the Province for visiting relatives, etc and will not build Nipa.

SRC sounds like a great way to go...but at what expense in the Province? Hmm. Looks like I need to review your previous posts on this tech again, Lol. Thanks for the video.

Edited by PhilsFan
Headshot
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

4:00  You can build up to 3 floors without traditional posts. ð

Yeah, that's what they say. Being a bit conservative, I wanted more of a safety factor than they offer. Plus, with no vertical columns, you really have nothing to solidly anchor the steel roof framing. Yeah, you could run some rebar up through the panels and anchor the roof framing to that, but how effective will it be in a super typhoon? I used the foam panels between my steel framing, which, to me, had little downside other than a little additional cost (not much in relation to the total costs of the construction. They also said the foam panels can be use for floor and roof panels. As much as I like the panels, I don't see them as a good solution in anything but a vertical application. The structure of my house was designed and signed off on by a licensed structural engineer. I used the structure he recommended.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Headshot said:

Yeah, that's what they say. Being a bit conservative, I wanted more of a safety factor than they offer. Plus, with no vertical columns, you really have nothing to solidly anchor the steel roof framing. Yeah, you could run some rebar up through the panels and anchor the roof framing to that, but how effective will it be in a super typhoon? I used the foam panels between my steel framing, which, to me, had little downside other than a little additional cost (not much in relation to the total costs of the construction. They also said the foam panels can be use for floor and roof panels. As much as I like the panels, I don't see them as a good solution in anything but a vertical application. The structure of my house was designed and signed off on by a licensed structural engineer. I used the structure he recommended.

This post in it's entirety is wise and correct , and the path you chose with the engineering of your structure was absolutely the best way to go , I agree wholeheartedly that a vertical application is the only practical use for this product , although I have seen it used under a poured concrete roof for the insulation value ...as far as a stand alone for roof and floor no freaking way ....

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Headshot, can you tell me where you purchased your steel reinforced styrofoam SRC panels? I've only been able to find them shipped from the Manila area... (shipping costs make them quite expensive).

• Like 1
Headshot
2 hours ago, zonie100 said:

Headshot, can you tell me where you purchased your steel reinforced styrofoam SRC panels? I've only been able to find them shipped from the Manila area... (shipping costs make them quite expensive).

My contractor (Ben Simbajon) got the panels from one of his suppliers, but I have seen them locally. I just don't remember where. You might want to just contact them at SRC Panels, and ask them where their nearest dealer is in your area. They are getting more common in the Cebu, so they have to sell them here someplace. Try Wilcon. If they don't have them, then contact SRC directly, and find out where you can get them. Then again, since you are in Dumaguete, it might be easier to just ask SRC if there is a dealer in the Dumaguete area.

BTW, if I had it to do over again, I would double up the panels, so they were twice as thick. That way, they would be flush to both sides of the four-inch steel structural members I used. It would make it much easier (and more structurally sound) to weld the rebar to the posts and beams if everything was flush.

Edited by Headshot
  • 4 weeks later...
Puerto man

Headshot, were your steel beams, and roof trusses lifted into place using a crane or other lift? I like what you did and would also use steel beams and columns, but don't think a lift can access my building site.

Thanks

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Puerto man said:

Headshot, were your steel beams, and roof trusses lifted into place using a crane or other lift? I like what you did and would also use steel beams and columns, but don't think a lift can access my building site.

Thanks

I'm not @Headshot but for small enough I-beams they can be lifted into place with grunt force and ropes depending on how high you want to build.  I imagine the roof truss work was built in situ.  For my house design I'm working on I'm considering using an I-beam for the roof ridge but that would only be a 2"X4" I-Beam which I believe is the smallest made.

Edited by SkyMan
Headshot
7 hours ago, Puerto man said:

Thanks

It is amazing what a bunch of motivated Filipinos can move into place. We never had a crane on-site, and the roof trusses were built on-site and placed using manual labor.

Woolf

No crane used

image.thumb.png.213849bb96a4d8dec80b57399bf57fad.png

Puerto man

Headshot, Woolf and Skyman, thanks for the info. You have re-assured me that I can build with steel beams and columns on my building site which on the side of a mountain with many trees, accessed by a road consisting of two cement tracks.

SkyMan
On 12/20/2019 at 7:25 PM, zonie100 said:

An engineer at my church mentioned that one mistake sometimes made using those panels is butting them together.  You can see from Headshot's  pictures an inch or so gap between the panels.

• Thanks 1