Sign in to follow this  
Tinbum

So what is this Health and Safety thing?

lamoe

American vs German H&S

Did a design job when with Heller Machine tools for Ford. Had to be to their specs not Heller's.

I had to spend 7 weeks there trying to explain why things had to be done differently. 

Such as an emergency stop button every 6 feet ON THE OUTSIDE of the cage which totally enclosed the machine. The one they just could not understand was the mechanical and electrical interlock cage doors that would automatically put the machine into complete shutdown - which had a tendency to do very bad things to the drive, tools, carriage, etc, if someone tried to get in while the machine was operating.

Their attitude was if someone was that stupid to go inside while the machine was running - feck'em.

About a year after installation I had to go testify at a Worker's Comp trail. You guessed it, a worker knew enough to bypass the safeties, not a maintenance guy. The only thing that saved us big money was that I'd buried some logic in the programmable controller (PC back then) that logged with date and time when any disconnecting of the safeties was done. Maintenance had a log with  the date and time they disconnected and reconnected interlocks.

He wanted to sue Ford for big bucks so purposely injured himself.

• Like 1

rfm010

health and safety, or osha, was implemented to prevent companies from maintaining unsafe work conditions.  without a strong union it is very hard for a worker to stand up against a company that is happy to put health at risk for the sake of profit.  you don't like your conditions?  find another job.  there are plenty more people who need work.  and yes i know unions can go too far in making petty demands but the point is there is a good reason for organizations like osha.

as far as common sense in individual behavior goes, you might think that a little applied darwinism would be enough to ensure that common sense works over time but then consider the painters at my house, and their approach to providing a firm foundation for their scaffolding:  the closeup picture is for the scaffold leg on the left.

de65ad.jpg

5mq3c.jpg

it is a father and son team which means the genes have been passed on. 

• Like 1

manly4eva

You may need to zoom in on the crane tip.

If you look close enough he has on regulation thongs/slippers..As far as I can see he is covered for any onsite mishaps.I'm more surprised that the boom hasn't been extended using bamboo and fishing nylon..

philuk

I was talking to a fireman about this the other day, and he was telling me how the fire servise go around fitting smoke alarms in pensioners homes for free,

they need to use a small three rung step lader to fit them,

then a health and safety guy comes allong and tells them they cant use the steps,

"but we climb 40 ft laders as part of our job"           "Yes but you have not been trained or have the certificates to use the steps"

Tinbum

then a health and safety guy comes allong and tells them they cant use the steps,   "but we climb 40 ft laders as part of our job"           "Yes but you have not been trained or have the certificates to use the steps"

H & S does work... it just needs tempering and not going too far.

See a great example of all things in moderation. There are zealots in every aspect of life even H&S!!

• Like 1

Kuting

Oh my goodness, that is quite a skill being up there without any harness at all! Skillful but utterly stupid.