Sign in to follow this  
Tinbum

So what is this Health and Safety thing?

Tinbum

You may need to zoom in on the crane tip. Sorry for quality but used the phone on zoom. Seen lunchtime from the office window.

No harness, not even over an adjoining buildings roof, just 9 - 10 story's up.

post-13865-0-25396100-1395466002_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

Jump, Jump, jump!

Mikala

Hey! That looks like me in 1996 above Salt Lake City! Except I was wearing a safety harness since I was at eye level with the downtown OSHA office...  

Brings back memories of how I was scared of heights before I took the gig...   :crazy:

Paul

OSHA would have a field day in most countries in Asia. :)

• Like 2

Skywalker

Health and Safety legislation was brought in to stop the Darwin theory of natural selection performing it's natural duty.

DYSFUNCTION CAN BE ASPIRATIONAL after all!   :yahoo: 

• Like 2

roaddog

Damn OSHA won't even let you fix your cut in half extention cord. I even used high quality electrical tape.

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

Riding the hook was only banned 1975 in Oz. "Those were the days"

ozboy

Dog-man????

Fred M

I wonder what the current crowd of Health and Safety people think of the famous photos taken in NYC in the twenties of steel fixers having lunch sat on a steel girder?

Jess Bartone

Dog-man????

Yeah.

Alan S

H & S is yet another money making racket foisted on us by governments.

We managed for many years with common sense.

• Like 1

Tinbum

Among the many hats i have worn is that of a H & S professional. Now i do agree that very often it does go too far (hard hats on the roof of a 27 story building??? Dangerous seagulls i guess!!!)

However, if a rule, or set of rules saves a life, then it is worth it, no denying that!

Yes, common sense should prevail, but it doesnt. Read the threads on here about this here in the PI. The good old ways are not necessarily the best. An awful lot of older buildings/ structures have memorial plaques fixed to them somewhere." This is to commemorate those workers who gave their lives in the construction of this........"

Find a similiar plaque on a new building.

H & S does work... it just needs tempering and not going too far.

Maybe Durham will chip in, he is vastly more experienced than me on this subject.

• Like 2

Durham

Before the Health & Safety Act 1974 came into force there was on average 600 plus people killed at work every year, with new regulations added since   then the annual death rate is now less than 150 per year and reducing.

Some of the regulations apply to ECC member states as well

All accidents at work can be prevented if safe working practises are followed,however people will take shortcuts to get the job done more quickly resulting in accidents.

I remember when the Nissan car factory was been commissioned in NE England and in the press shop the japs were amazed at the safety devices that were put in place, apparently the jap workforce were told keep away from dangerous equipment they did just that.....but not the British worker.

Of course common sense is easy to say but unfortunately does not always prevail for everybody.

Looking at what goes on here in the Phils I would imagine the accident/incident rates to be very high.

It should be noted that in the UK prosecutions in a court of law not only apples to employers but also employees for breaches of Health & Safety Legislation and individuals suffer fines or in some cases prison time.

Edited by Durham
  • Like 1

Alan S

And H & S is one of the reasons that we in the UK no longer have much of the industry with which we led the world.

Everyone just lie in bed all day wrapped in cotton wool.

Wont make anything, but it will be safe!

• Like 2

Jess Bartone

H & S is yet another money making racket foisted on us by governments.

We managed for many years with common sense.

These days it is UNcommon sense, and the more people are ritualised into being mollycoddled the less common their sense becomes.

Find a similiar plaque on a new building.

H & S does work... it just needs tempering and not going too far.

Perhaps the powers that be stopped placing plaques in order to justify safety regimes which took the onus off the employer.

Construction is the second most dangerous job after farming, based on percentages, but this is because farmers usually work alone, and are always doing things which strictly should be done by two people. If they are injured or entangled in a machine there is no one their to save them. But H&S has reduced construction deaths, mainly because it has weeded out the so-called "cowboys", or brought them to heel. In my experience, H&S is selectively enforced by management to appear to be "doing the right thing", but the rules are often tossed aside for the sake of meeting deadlines. If apprentices were trained properly, safety would not be such and issue, but unfortunately a lot of employers treat apprentices as cheap labour.

I loved being a dogman because of the challenge to be safe, not by following rules, but by thinking twice (or ten times) and acting once. I treated every lift as unique and approached it with the fervour of a dedicated newbie. I often had leading hands or crane drivers say that I didn't need to do things a certain way because it took too long, but the dogman is the lift master and has the final word (at least H&S never revoked that power). I would say "ah, so you want me to risk not only my life and the workers around me, but the civilians below?" which has sometimes led to arguments and power struggles. An "experienced" dogman (read: "cowboy") once showed me "the proper way to do it", and promptly dropped a 4 metre double glazed window panel six floors onto to the courtyard below, which of course was a no-go "drop zone", but the panel literally exploded (sounded like a cannon going off) and shot shards of glass out in a hundred metre radius. There was a small and unobtrusive in-house enquiry (since nobody was hurt) and it was decided there was an equipment failure. The equipment "failed" because some idiot tried to save 15 seconds by hooking it up incorrectly, twisting the hook coupling unnaturally and making a 500kg panel put 5 tons lateral strain on a 2 ton hook (this was on a one-ton crawler crane which could move from floor to floor via the Alimak). The industry is riddled with incidents like that, but H&S doesn't want to know about stupidity, they just bring in heavier equipment.

Hanging steel with a tower crane was the biggest challenge, and here H&S actually created jobs. Since riding the hook was banned, it was decreed that every crane must have 2 dogmen, one to launch and one to receive.