Sign in to follow this  
mrlondon

"My Hotel" Davao P250 - P950

mrlondon

This is regarding my visit many months ago, details might not be up to day. 

The best mid-budget hotel in Davao is called "My Hotel".  It's downtown (central). A meter taxi from the airport takes about 25 minutes. It's located on a main street. The best rooms are 950 and have TV, phone, CR, Aircon. The rooms are really big for the price (the small aircon is under powered on hot days).

Sometimes stuff does not work (TV, or phone). I changed rooms many times during my 10 days there. 

Other rooms include double bed P400 (fan, shared CR) and single bed P250. Smaller TV. 

All the rooms are a fair deal for the price. 

The restaurant on ground floor has decent food, 95 to 140 pesos per meal. A lunch buffet is served (Davao folk seem to like buffets) - but it's not that great of a deal unless you're really hungry, because the food seems to get served cold. It's a shame because things like the non working phone, or cold buffet and others stop My Hotel from being really good. Like a lot of hotels in philippines, the management could be a lot better.

As for Davao, I was not impressed by the city, but did get a chance to visit Samal island, which is a not bad. There are a few beach huts at the very south west of the island, where one ferry will drop off (ferry takes 45 minutes, and has a really pretty view and fresh air). The prices for a hut are 300 (shared CR) or 800 (aircon and CR) overnight. Zero activites, except swimming in the sea, and looking at the pretty view. If you get easily bored, better to go early and come back at night. 

There is an expensive resort, which is pretty good, in the middle of samal, I stayed there one night, and took 2 friends. Paradise Island resort I think.  They have their own private boat, which costs 120 to rent from outside the city (it holds 12 people and they charge you 10 pesos for just a seat). Or bus access from the city, then the bus goes on a barge, and you can get a motorbike down to the resort. 

My Hotel, Davao.

myhotel4.jpg

Edit: removed the word "charter" to stop all the time wasting jokes. 

Edited by mrlondon
  • Like 2

bkkmarlowe

I pretty much agree with Mr L's take on the situation at My Hotel in downtown Davao. I have stayed there a few times, the location is good and the rooms are ok for the price, The security is first class wiith TV cameras in the hallway and "electronic" card entry for your room door.

BUT the aircon was noisy in my room(s), even though it was fairly new.... and the buffet downstairs, I would not recommend it. Tried it once and never again...

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

They have their own private boat, which costs 120 to charter from outside the city (it holds 12 people and they charge you 10 pesos for just a seat).

The hotel sounds like good value but the boat charter is incredible value.

Davaoeno

The hotel sounds like good value but the boat charter is incredible value.

You " charter" the boat in the same way that you " charter" a bus to go across town !!!!!!   :bashtroll:    It only goes to the resort   lol        [ The Pearl Farm - which is by far the most expensive place in Davao ]

There are many hotels just as good as My Hotel . The area around My Hotel is very similar to Colon in Cebu .   Certainly not my favourite part of the city .

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

What about pension house Davaoeno  :yahoo:

Jess Bartone

You " charter" the boat in the same way that you " charter" a bus to go somewhere !!!!!!   :bashtroll:    It only goes to the resort   lol        [ The Pearl Farm - which is by far the most expensive place in Davao ]

There are many hotels just as good as My Hotel . The area around My Hotel is very similar to Colon in Cebu .   Certainly not my favourite part of the city .

Johnny on the spot.

Davaoeno

What about pension house Davaoeno  :yahoo:

Probably the best deal in Davao !!  Ocean view, pool, and your choice of Nicole or Candy for the night !   

One thing My Hotel excels in is advertising !!  They plastered Davao with ads . 

• Like 1

mrlondon

You " charter" the boat in the same way that you " charter" a bus to go across town !!!!!    It only goes to the resort   lol        [ The Pearl Farm - which is by far the most expensive place in Davao ]

It's not really respectful when someone makes the effort to write a review and you pick out one 

mistake and make a mockery of it. And you are a long standing member. Not a welcomed post. 

Skywalker
And you are a long standing member.

Don't confuse 'long standing' with 'respectful'.  

Remember the idiot ice cream vendor, who is back under yet another pseudonym.  Easily spotted by inability to understand capitalisation and punctuation, and the writing style of a 12 year old.

I recently stayed at Hotel Uno in Davao, managed 4 nights before moving to the club floor at Marco Polo, still my favourite hotel!

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 1

Davaoeno

It's not really respectful when someone makes the effort to write a review and you pick out one 

mistake and make a mockery of it. And you are a long standing member. Not a welcomed post. 

Actually you posted several things which I consider to be wrong, but I did not respond to your OP at all and let it be .     Only when Jess made a wrong assumption based on your mistake did I  set him straight . 

Even I made a wrong assumption based on what you posted when I thought [ wrongly ] that you were referring to the Pear Farm and not Paradise Resort [ which you have now cleared up- thank you for that ]

I think we do members a disservice if we post wrong or confusing information - knowing that they might very well rely on what we post .

You obviously didnt enjoy Davao City and its good for people to get a balanced opinion and not just hear good things about a place, however I think that even the negative things should be accurate .

ThomsonJr

I once stayed at Ponce Suites in Davao City, the location of his hotel is perfect, but for some reason, the owner who sits daily around the lobby area and in the hotel restaurant, doesn't want to change the furniture or fix the wi-fi problems. I just don't understand why, she could actually charge almost double if she would just do that.

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

Remember the idiot ice cream vendor, who is back under yet another pseudonym. 

(in screeching electronic voice) "exterminate, exterminate"

• Like 1

Kodiak570

I pretty much agree with Mr L's take on the situation at My Hotel in downtown Davao. I have stayed there a few times, the location is good and the rooms are ok for the price, The security is first class wiith TV cameras in the hallway and "electronic" card entry for your room door.

BUT the aircon was noisy in my room(s), even though it was fairly new.... and the buffet downstairs, I would not recommend it. Tried it once and never again...

I agree that food is not that great at My Hotel, but Kusina Dabaw is right across the street. Cheap and good fried chicken, lumpia, etc. IIRC:DSCF0782.jpg

• Like 1

Kim_

I am one of them staying in "My Hotel", I have no complaints.. stay was good....

But to add to this I have been working in Davao and thus stay in a "better" hotel such as Marco Polo for a month.

I like Davao, though after lots of reading here I would settle for Manila.

oscarpears

Thanks for the information on My Hotel, like you I stayed in Davao and did not bond with the city like I have with many other cities in the Philippines.

One thing that I am timid about is Cockroaches and Bed Bugs, it would be great if those kind enough to review hotels, could mention these creatures in their appraisal.