Sign in to follow this  
burnttoast

Surprise Extra Charges

Bill H

I once had a taxi driver try to nearly double the fare because I had two boxes in his trunk.  He never got out of the car, all he did was pop the lid and I did the loading, so I felt no fees were due him.  He thought he had a rich foreigner to victimize and tried to bilk me for more money.  I refused to pay, so he followed me around the bus station yelling at me.  He made quite a scene, but I stood firm.  He even followed me onto the bus trying to get more money and I refused to pay.  The conductor told him to get off the bus or pay the fare and that is when it ended.  That said, there is a risk to this game.  You never know when the Pinoy will blow his stack and pull a knife of a gun.  I follow my gut, and it has served me well.  I think foreigners who give in and pay do the rest of us a disservice.  But that's just me.

• Like 1

charlest27

I know what mean, we do pawns for cell phone, We have everything in writing once pawned there is no coming back to ask for more money that is in writing they sign it. We only give 40 to 50 % of the current value . We reserve the right to not take on pawn any phone with no questions or reason giving. People that have been drinking or on Drugs no pawns will be done common sence to me but not all understand trust me. I found if it is in writing problems are greatly reduced, all contracts are in english and in Taglog. So no comm problem. We always give the contract and read it to them. The line that says by signing this you understand the terms and conductions of the contract any verbal contract will not be accepted at any time . That has helped in the few cases we have had problems with it all goes back to the contract. business is good cause it is very stright forward and user friendly. The locals like that now expecting that from outer business's good luck but we do offer bussiness basic classes free to anyone who wants to learn western bussiness basic only 1 day 4 to 5 hours long . Only 2 of the people that went to the free course are doing basic budget and customer service tracking sales, inventory guss what both pepole can now save money into SSS they could not do that before.It is about giving back to the people so they can help them self. Take care god bless.

altho slightly different from the OP's theme, in our line of work we go thru this all the time. it's not often dealers but usually the private sellers who try to pull this crap.

when a person meets up with us to sell their watch(es) the first rule of thumb we have is never give a free education. we limit our discussion to "how much do you want for your watch?" this conversation usually degenerates into "i have no idea" or "you sir", which of course 9 out of 10 times is baloney. at all times we are very careful not to answer any questions about the person's watch like "is it original?", "what model is it?" or "what do you usually pay for one like this?" as there is a good chance they are on a fishing trip and just trying to get a feel for what they have and no intention to make a deal right now. if they are adamant about refusing to name a price and the watch is indeed valuable then one of the crew (not me) will throw out a silly offer of 1000 to 5000p just to see the reaction. when they say no, then the crew members will go back and forth with them and say "what number will make you say yes?". it's this excruciating jousting match that makes buying here especially annoying, but if done correctly can net some good deals. this is also the point where we can establish whether the seller is indeed intending to sell their watch now, or just looking for free info. if the seller completely refuses to talk sensibly about prices then we just conclude the discussion at that point and leave, telling them to contact us when they have their price in mind and are prepared to make a deal. it's quite easy to see when a seller is just fishing for a free education with no intention to sell immediately, and we have learned the hard way not to divulge much info. never inform or educate a seller as to what they have, for if it's not sold right then, there's a slim chance they will be back.   

the final step in making deals for us is in line with the OP's theme of seller changing their minds, or at least pretending to. when the price negotiating is getting close and a deal looks imminent, one of us will count out the cash while another crew member, usually our watch tech "jonny ong" is still holding and examining the watch. when the seller agrees to sell at the price negotiated, we slide over the cash for him/her to pick up in their hands and accept. at that point we are in control of the sale and have multiple witnesses among our crew that the transaction is legit and we paid the seller's agreed price. we also present the seller with one of our printed receipts to sign, but even without the receipt the transaction is legit and will stand up if disputed. this dispute can happen within 30 seconds or days/weeks as we have seen it all.

cell phones are our worst enemy during deals and many times we ask the seller to please turn off their phone and we will do the same to ours during the deal. we have actually had sellers receive a phone call or text from a competing buyer right after accepting our cash and still sitting with us at a table, and try to weasel out of the sale. we also get some people texting or calling days and sometimes weeks later asking us to return "their" watch. inevitably many people here fail to realize once sold an item no longer belongs to them, and think they are entitled to simply "reverse" a deal on a whim if there happens to be a benefit to them in doing so.

this stuff may sound like an extreme of the OP's subject matter but when in the business of buying and selling it's important to be wary of how extreme things can get when dealing with locals who don't understand the basic concepts of agreements and transactions.

• Like 1

ed villas

.. My wife spots a 60 kilo baboy

whats a  BABOY ?

Knowdafish

whats a  BABOY ?

Pig

Brucewayne

whats a  BABOY ?

The opposite of a GOOBOY.

• Like 1

sjp

I agree with OP, its all about principle.

I don't care how good a deal is, an agreement must be honored & asking for extra means we will no longer do business.

unfortunately your western principles will not always do you justice over here. Some just don,t care about principles here. You just have to do whats best for you. If you are looking at two houses to rent that are pretty much the same but one is 15000 and the other is 25000 its obvious which one you will pick. What I'm saying is even if the one owner changes their mind and now wants 18000 instead of the original 15000 you will still be saving 7000. I guess you could walk away from the deal and pay 7000 more and really show them but really all your doing is hurting yourself.

That example I gave just happened to me on the house I just rented. My wife was the one who actually rented the house so it wasn't a kano tax increase. The old lady had simply made a mistake when first listing it.

Borinquen

Was looking at condos in metro manila. Found one for 25kP per month. Paid the deposit of 50kP (2months deposit) and was about to pay the first months rent, when suddenly the landlady says "oh and 7k extra per month for condo dues", took my deposit back right than and said "thanks for wasting my time". So pissed that day, cause prior to that my girl had made all the dealings, soon as i show up, the price goes up... Should've just let my girl take the deposit there herself, instead of showing my foreigner face :(

• Like 2

contraman

Been there, done that, brought the tee shirt :) :)

She who must be obeyed, does all the buying and negotiating here in Cebu.

Save money and frustration.

CebuJohn

Hopefully you get the money back you gave.

It works like this, If you feel its still a good deal after the increase, you pay, If not walk away.  I would probably bluff and pretend to walk away but if it was a good deal for me I would go back.

edit:  removed text of my reply as the OP later clarified that he has never had any trouble getting back his original money.

Edited by CebuJohn