Sign in to follow this  
burnttoast

Surprise Extra Charges

burnttoast

This scenario continues to present itself in my life here: foreigner agrees to pay a price for a good or service. Once price is agreed to money is paid in full. Filipino holds the money but before the item or service is relinquished or executed at the last minute they decide they want more. Do you agree to pay more or just walk away? My default position now is just to walk away immediately no excpetions every time. For me it's not the amount it's the principle. I believe people giving in and paying the extra fees is how prices for everything have gotten out of control here.

• Like 8

sjp

Hopefully you get the money back you gave.

It works like this, If you feel its still a good deal after the increase, you pay, If not walk away.  I would probably bluff and pretend to walk away but if it was a good deal for me I would go back.

• Like 2

Enuff

I agree with OP, its all about principle.

I don't care how good a deal is, an agreement must be honored & asking for extra means we will no longer do business.

• Like 4

lopburi3

Recall being astonished with this by taxi drivers when first arrived there from Thailand where once an agreement was made it was never changed.  In the Philippines it seemed to happen every time.  Agree that any such action would get a negative reaction from me but suspect would just haggle if living there again.  Every place has something that we don't like so likely best to just try to understand and if that is not possible try to ignore our displeasure. 

• Like 1

burnttoast

Hopefully you get the money back you gave.

Yes, of course. And I've never had a problem getting my money back if I want to walk away. I can't edit OP now.

BossHog

Do you agree to pay more or just walk away?

I say something like "Yeah,okay, nice try...but, yeah, no."

We have a laugh about it and proceed with the original deal.

• Like 1

dalek

well I have almost never managed to get my money back from a Filipino. It has probably happened, but it is something I would not rely on.

they have already spent it. That is the reason they are asking for more.

I met this Euro guy from Sweden on an island who had rented a motorbike that turned out to be pretty shit. He hadn't tested it properly and one on a little test drive which you should always do when you rent bikes, before he handed over the five day rental money (for 2 bikes, the other one which two Euro girls used, was OK) and it turned out to be heap of neo-garbage. It did not start reliably. And I saw him when he'd got some problem with the chain, and I knew it would cost him 200-300 pesos in a shop to get it sorted. He was saying, just wait I'll get my money back.

but he didn't. The Filipino knew he would not have the nerve, to steal the bike, so he just did not respond to any calls or texts from him and waited for when the renter to leave the island.

Filipinos are really quick, to approach you when it's you that owes them money. But when it's them that owe you, well it's like the Malaysian Airlines mystery. You do not see them, for days.

• Like 5

Brucewayne

Yes, of course. And I've never had a problem getting my money back if I want to walk away. I can't edit OP now.

Then I would take my money and walk.

• Like 1

Brucewayne

This scenario continues to present itself in my life here: foreigner agrees to pay a price for a good or service. Once price is agreed to money is paid in full. Filipino holds the money but before the item or service is relinquished or executed at the last minute they decide they want more. Do you agree to pay more or just walk away? My default position now is just to walk away immediately no excpetions every time. For me it's not the amount it's the principle. I believe people giving in and paying the extra fees is how prices for everything have gotten out of control here.

Why on Earth would you pay money before receiving any product or service in the Philippines?

Even at McDogfood where we all have to pay in advance, if they get the order wrong, they expect you to keep what they gave you (unless they gave you more than what you paid for), then they insist that you pay extra for the item you originally asked for and refuse to take back the item you didn't order, but received.

At least in the fast food dumps, we aren't talking much money, but most places that want money down are usually selling higher end items.

I only go with COD  here as much as I possibly can and only because I have been burned before.

• Like 3

MattFromGA

I've never had that experience except for situations when the deal is changing.  I ask for one thing, but after deal is done discover something else is getting done.  This was always for a service, not for an item.  Every time I bought an item, the price we agreed to was the price paid.  Can you imagine going to Carbon at night to get vegis and they say the given vegi is one price per kilo and you give them that but as they load the bad they say the price is different?  I never saw such dealings.

However, if I ask for the price of a cell phone and they say 1500 pesos, then I notice no charger and they say that is extra 900, then that is different.

• Like 1

easy44

I try to never pay for any service or product up front.  I will offer a 50% deposit and if that isn't good enough will find another vendor.  Sometimes though, you don't have an alternate source and have no choice, but that is rare.

• Like 1

sugbu777

My wife and I must be very fortunate. We have never had any problems with something we have agreed upon as to price (construction work, buying vehicles, land purchases etc.) in the Philippines. That is in three different provinces. Now lending money is another issue. Have never lent a large amount, but we know if lent in the Philippines, don't count on getting it back. I think relatives, friends in the Philippines like to call it a loan i.e " can you loan me some money" usually followed by the description of whatever "problem" they are going through, because calling it a loan makes them feel better. Even though they know they can't pay it back, the implied promise of possibly paying it back is an exercise in face-saving.

• Like 1

BossHog

I think relatives, friends in the Philippines like to call it a loan i.e " can you loan me some money"

Yeah, what he said.

The difference here between a loan and a gift is something called 'collateral'.

If I gift you some money and you spend it on drugs, liquor and chocolate cookies...I don't care because it was a gift.

If you want a loan from me be prepared to sign over the use of some copra-producing land.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 5

nameg1111

Why on Earth would you pay money before receiving any product or service in the Philippines?

Even at McDogfood where we all have to pay in advance, if they get the order wrong, they expect you to keep what they gave you (unless they gave you more than what you paid for), then they insist that you pay extra for the item you originally asked for and refuse to take back the item you didn't order, but received.

At least in the fast food dumps, we aren't talking much money, but most places that want money down are usually selling higher end items.

I only go with COD  here as much as I possibly can and only because I have been burned before.

cdo   is it cash on delevirey

• Like 1

burnttoast

Here's a recent example. Find a decent pension room for 500 per night. We pay for a night and get a receipt that morning. Checkout of the other place we were staying at round noon and show up at the lobby with our bags ready to move in. Receptionist says she made a "mistake" and the room wasn't 500 but 600 per night. Maybe so but I stayed in the same room just a few months before for 500 a night for 2 weeks so I know the price and disputed it.

• Like 2