Sign in to follow this  
lamoe

This mask could make me take up snorkling

lamoe

Phobia regarding water in face. Almost drowning can do that. But this I think I could handle.I use a full mask (nose / mouth CPAP) so would be no problem.

http://www.swaggest.com/easybreath-snorkeling-mask/

For anyone who has gone snorkeling before, you know that the snorkels can be difficult to use. First of all, only breathing through your mouth is a bit weird and the whole snorkel contraption is uncomfortable with water coming down the tube at times. EasyBreath | Snorkeling Mask gets rid of all that because the air comes in and goes through the mask! This way you won’t have to struggle with a mouthpiece and instead breathe comfortably. Also the structure of the mask and the breathing tube is meant to stop water from entering the entire thing. The top of the snorkel has a plug mechanism that doesn’t allow water to enter when the entire mask is immersed in water. [Purchase] ( $55 )

easybreath-snorkeling-mask-11.jpg

• Like 2

Irenicus

I never trust those "plug" type snorkels - never seem to work right, especially when inverting underwater.

I didn't see any user reviews - might want to wait for those.

The hardest part about snorkeling is clearing your snorkel when you come up, and that's not too hard.  Once someone gets that, it's smooth sailing.  It's like scuba and getting over initial buoyancy issues.  

Edited by Irenicus
  • Like 2

lamoe

For me it's more psychological then physical.

I'm very accumulated to wearing a breathing mask 

Never learned to swim with face in water.

Passed Marine drown proofing (that was a real test of will power for me) and was able to swim a mile - only thing I had to to it backward like a frog on it;s back.

Tried several times with conventional rig - no go.- I guess it has to do with something sticking in my mouth.

Several too easy straight lines here. 

Not sold in US - Europe only. Have contacted them for delivery price.

Edited by lamoe

SkyMan

I wonder how successful it will be to form a seal to your face without being at depth but good luck.  Dry suit divers have a similar mask but it seals to their hood, not their face.

lamoe

I wonder how successful it will be to form a seal to your face without being at depth but good luck.  Dry suit divers have a similar mask but it seals to their hood, not their face.

My CPAP does a very good job - nose / mouth - with constant positive pressure, very playable silicon.

Davaoeno
very playable silicon.

I highly recommend playable silicon !!!  [ especially Nicole ! ]

I find that the snorkels with valves to seal them sometimes let in some water. Of course clearing your snorkel is not that big a problem because the snorkel isnt that big, but i wonder how hard it would be to clear the whole mask ?

Edited by Davaoeno

lamoe

I highly recommend playable silicon !!!  [ especially Nicole ! ]

I find that the snorkels with valves to seal them sometimes let in some water. Of course clearing your snorkel is not that big a problem because the snorkel isnt that big, but i wonder how hard it would be to clear the whole mask ?

Sure  you didn't mean Nick?

Hope for reply today  - but it is France - If they don't try to charge an exorbitant amount for S&H may just buy it and see.

Hy H
You Can Finally Breathe Underwater With This Groundbreaking Device

triton4.jpg
GOODS • ANTHONY SELDEN • JAN 17, 2014 - 2:45PM

Swimming. Wouldn’t it be more fun if you didn’t have to hold your breath to do it? Well, that might actually be possible with this groundbreaking mask that has been developed by Yanko Design. It’s called the “Triton Oxygen Mask”. The mask works as an artificial gill like the ones fish have. Apparently, it has the ability to be able to separate oxygen from the water while diving. According to TIP News, a strip of tiny fabrics features nearly microscopic holes, which are much smaller than water molecules. The mask is said to have been developed by a Korean scientist who’s always wanted to be able to breathe underwater.

“Using a very small but powerful micro compressor, it compresses oxygen and stores the extracted oxygen in storage tank. The micro compressor operates through micro battery.” – Yanko Design

In terms of pricing and availability, there has been no word yet. Check out the photos below for a closer look at the Triton Oxygen Mask.

triton.jpg

triton2.jpg
triton3.jpg
triton5.jpg
triton6.jpg
triton7.jpg
triton8.jpgpin_it_button.png
H/T: TIP News, Photos courtesy of Yanko Design

Headshot

triton4.jpg
GOODS • ANTHONY SELDEN •  JAN 17, 2014 - 2:45PM

Swimming. Wouldn’t it be more fun if you didn’t have to hold your breath to do it? Well, that might actually be possible with this groundbreaking mask that has been developed by Yanko Design. It’s called the “Triton Oxygen Mask”. The mask works as an artificial gill like the ones fish have. Apparently, it has the ability to be able to separate oxygen from the water while diving. According to TIP News, a strip of tiny fabrics features nearly microscopic holes, which are much smaller than water molecules. The mask is said to have been developed by a Korean scientist who’s always wanted to be able to breathe underwater.

In terms of pricing and availability, there has been no word yet. Check out the photos below for a closer look at the Triton Oxygen Mask.

“Using a very small but powerful micro compressor, it compresses oxygen and stores the extracted oxygen in storage tank. The micro compressor operates through micro battery.” – Yanko Design

Hmmm...if it works, I want one of those. The only question I would have though is that it has always been my impression that pure oxygen breathed under pressure is actually toxic to humans. Fish get away with gills because they don't actually breathe because their gills put the oxygen directly into the bloodstream without the aid of lungs. There must be something more going on in this process for it to actually work.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

miles-high

This thing is much easier to breath and safer…

http://www.seawalker.com.au/

Available (rental) elsewhere in Mactan (Yahoo! It), the limitation is only down to 6ft or so… need an airduct connected to the compressor on the boat… :)

lamoe

Hmmm...if it works, I want one of those. The only question I would have though is that it has always been my impression that pure oxygen breathed under pressure is actually poisonous. Fish get away with gills because they don't actually breathe because their gills put the oxygen directly into the bloodstream without the aid of lungs. There must be something more going on in this process for it to actually work.

Got my reply from the NFG - Easybreath not available until after spring and will not ship to US. Only Europe.

As for triton - it's only a design concept - very photorealistic renderings

http://deepseanews.com/2014/01/triton-not-dive-or-dive-not-there-is-no-triton/

K, I hate gearing up for a dive as much as anyone, but unfortunately there’s a bit of physics and physiology that means the Triton concept just ain’t gonna happen.  On Earth at least.  Naboo, maybe… Let me break it down for you.

• The average human breathes about 500mls of air per breath as their standard tidal volume
  • Of that 500 mls, 21% is oxygen going in, and 16% is oxygen coming out, meaning that we strip about 5% of the volume of every breath as pure oxygen, or about 25mls (0.025 liters)
  • Using Avagadro’s Law (1 mole of any gas occupies 22.4 liters) we see:
  • V1/n1 = V2/n2 –> 22.4L/1mol = 0.025L/Xmol –> X = 0.00111mol.  Each breath consumes 0.00111 moles of oxygen gas
  • From the molar weight of di-molecular oxygen gas (16g x 2 = 32g/mol), we can calculate that each breath is:
  • 32g * 0.00111mol = 0.03552g of oxygen, or 35.52 milligrams (mg)
  • Now, well-oxygenated surface ocean waters (on Earth of course, I have no idea about Naboo) contain about 6mg/L of oxygen.
  • So, to supply one breath’s worth of oxygen, the Triton would need to filter 35.52mg/6mgL = 5.92L of water.  Let’s call it 6L for convenience.  And it would need to do so with 100% extraction efficiency, which is not realistic under any diffusion or adsorption scenario, but let’s give Mr Yeon the benefit of the doubt.
  • The average person breathes around 15 times per minute at rest.  Lets assume we’re diving in a restful fashion, and not chasing Gungans into the underwaterways to escape Colo Clawfish
  • Therefore, to supply you with oxygen at normal resting breathing rates, the Triton would need to filter 15 x 6L = 90L per minute, or about 24 gallons.  For scale, 25 gallons a minute is about as much as a 1/4 horsepower sump pump pushes out, depending on static head. Without any kind of pump in the Triton to move water through the device, it relies on swimming (and presumably breathe suction?) to create the flow of water.  There’s too many variables in that, but let’s just say you’d certainly have to swim so fast to supply the needs of 15bpm that you wouldn’t be breathing 15bpm anymore.

All of this assumes the device is only stripping oxygen from the water, but if you think about it, that wouldn’t work very well.  You’ll get your 25mls of pure oxygen, but nothing else.  The human mouth holds over 75mls alone (don’t ask how I know this, let’s just say that I learned at college), with at least that much again in the trachea (it was a rough night), so you’re 6 breaths in just to get the gas to your bronchi, let alone the alveoli where the magic happens.

So I’m sorry Jeabyun Yeon, there’s not much future for the Triton.  You have an awesome name though. Very Jedi.

Edited by lamoe

Pman

triton4.jpg
GOODS • ANTHONY SELDEN •  JAN 17, 2014 - 2:45PM

Would be so awesome if it were real, but sadly like the recent hoverboard ad... this is a hoax.

That mask looks interesting OP. I just would be afraid to swim in the ocean any more. I been stung by too many jellies!!!!!