Sign in to follow this  
comingtocebu

alona beach

comingtocebu

so whats this place like?

is there much western food around?

any malls?

where are good places to eat/grocery shop?

any good month to month places to rent you would recommend with internet?

will i be able to find a BDO atm there? if not what bank should i open before?

what else might i want to know before going?

thanks for any help

Fred M

It's like Seoul.

• Like 3

Dragon

so whats this place like?

wide white sand beach, touristy (mostly Koreans), friendly enough.

is there much western food around?

Yup, plenty

any malls?

nope, 15 minute drive to Tagbilaran for BQ mall add another 5 minutes to ICM (bigger and better).

where are good places to eat/grocery shop?

Best resto is Guiseppe but pricey, hungry and on budget is a chinese place Paraiso Chino not far from Guiseppe.

any good month to month places to rent you would recommend with internet?

expect to pay Cebu City prices at Alona for rentals.

will i be able to find a BDO atm there? if not what bank should i open before?

Only ATM is BPI

what else might i want to know before going?

Go Bohol Bee Farm, we go often just to get ice cream.  Enjoy

thanks for any help

• Like 5

Enuff
comingtocebu, on 15 Mar 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

so whats this place like? nice place, great atmosphere and lots of Koreans

is there much western food around? all beach restaurants have western menus but prices are same as in the west. eat local, venture out & save

any malls? Bohol Quality & Island City malls both in Tagbilaran, only a 15-20 min scooter ride away

where are good places to eat/grocery shop? grocery shopping is best at IC & BQ malls, fair pricing  eats: Naty & Henry BBQ, Shawarma Bar ?? (on main drag in town)

any good month to month places to rent you would recommend with internet? there is a nice apartment near Giuseppe Pizzeria also found this one online: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/36415363/One+bedroom+tranquil+garden+apartment+in+Alona+%28with+generator%29?referralKeywords=alona&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-10,10#advertisementDetails

will i be able to find a BDO atm there? if not what bank should i open before? BPI right in Alona Beach (only one on Panglao Island I think) Just about every bank in Tagbilaran

what else might i want to know before going? Many beach bars & much fun to have. Wonder around all day long, stay close at night. I have heard of road hazards set up during late night hours getting drivers to stop or break down, then being robbed. Just like anywhere else.............. nothing good happens after 10pm, hehehehehe.

Bohol Bee Farm is a nice trip. Riding all around Panglao Island seemed a bit fun & interesting to see the history and the natural cavern. I wasn't much for Sagbayan Peak, Tasier or Chocolate Hills tours but you may enjoy. I did enjoy the Lobooc River Dinner cruise and the sea tour.

If you are going with your girl please have her negotiate for everything. They aren't many posted prices, especially for trips, and the 1st price quoted will never be the final price.

thanks for any help

• Like 1

AlooGobi

A few clicks from Alona Beach is Botanika Tarsier which has some quite nice gardens and a small zoo.There is also a restaurant with fantastic ocean views on the property, i think its called Paprika  from memory,the food when i was there bout 8 months ago was very good ,the service quite noticeably better than

i have experienced in many places in the Philippines.

The is a small cafe with in The Sun Apartelle complex beside their Bbq set up which i also found to serve consistently good food at reasonable prices and friendly efficient staff.I would also concur with the previous poster re Guiseppe,reaaly good food.

I personally think Alona Beach is over rated and i would not go near the place in high season but that's just me.

• Like 1

Monsoon

It has been a awhile since I have been there, but these types of places typically get worse with time, not better. I wouldn't stay at Alona if it were free accommodation. It is not much of a beach to begin with. There is nothing relaxing or peaceful about it, which for me is the whole point of spending time at a beach. The last thing I want is to be bothered by people trying to sell me something, ask me if I want a massage or get bumped into by Koreans who pretend they can't see where they are going when they walk. 

Davaoeno

I actually like Alona Beach.  I have met many Europeans there- especially for some reason scandinavians.  There are many places that have great food. Of course Alona is a tourist destination and pricey .  I quite like the beach - lots to see, especially if you are into people watching.  I have stayed there maybe 4 times and I was never aware of great numbers of Koreans, but then again I tend not to worry about where people are from .  I find that after the first day or two the vendors leave you alone - or become quite friendly .

• Like 3

Headshot

I find that after the first day or two the vendors leave you alone - or become quite friendly .

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

Just what kind of "vendors" are you talking about?

• Like 1

Enuff
Headshot, on 15 Mar 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:Headshot, on 15 Mar 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

Just what kind of "vendors" are you talking about?

they have MANY vendors walking through the beach area selling items such as sunglasses, water shoes, fresh fruits, nuts........... damn near everything.

there are also flocks of locals that ask about trips, just say no thanks and keep walking. they aren't that persistent. I guess they are accustomed to rejection. must be married.

Edited by bigmook

comingtocebu

thanks guys good info

just to be clear there is a BDO in tagbilaran where the malls are? or BDO atm? jeepneys go that way?

Bonjon

What beach?  They concreted it.  Most of the photos on the net are pre 1985.

• Like 1

Enuff

BDO Tagbilaran - C.P. Garcia Ave.

C.P. Garcia Avenue near corner Vissara St., Bohol, Tagbilaran City
Monday to Friday   9:00AM - 6:00PM
Telephone: (038) 411-0080; 411-0901; 411-0902

dalek

went once, in 2006 and once was enough. However I would not write off Panglao island. Only that bit.

Davaoeno

thanks guys good info

just to be clear there is a BDO in tagbilaran where the malls are? or BDO atm? jeepneys go that way?

I have used a BPI  ATM   to withdraw money using my BDO  ATM card

[ also other banks ATMs but I cant remember the name - maybe RSBC ?

Edited by Davaoeno

Enuff
dalek, on 15 Mar 2014 - 6:51 PM, said:

went once, in 2006 and once was enough. However I would not write off Panglao island. Only that bit.

I rather enjoy it there. We go 3 or 4 times a year for a few days. Alona beach, if you walk a km in either direction has some great local eateries. At night we wonder down to the beach and enjoy live music as usually 2 or 3 bars have bands. We usually walk around during the day, sometimes 10 - 15 kms, take a quick nap then off to the beaches to enjoy the nightlife. Its not for everyone but we rather enjoy it.

• Like 2