Sign in to follow this  
Chas

St Joseph's Rest House, Sagada

Chas

St Joseph's Guest House is in a great location in the centre of Sagada.  Unfortunately Fawlty Towers (UK comedy from 1970s, if you have not seen it find episodes on Youtube) is a better run hotel.  Despite booking some months in advance and confirming a couple of days before arrival our booking was not as made.

After initially trying to get us to take one large ‘cottage’ we were given the large and a small at small cottage prices.  The small cottage, ‘Laperal’ was subsiding down the hillside, had a sloping floor and was becoming detached from its chimneybreast.  The shower in 'Laperal' was never going to work, it was a dead shower.  The manageress assured us that we just needed to control the flow of water for it to become hot.  Not a chance.

post-7781-0-74376100-1394712907_thumb.jpg

post-7781-0-36909200-1394712950_thumb.jpg

post-7781-0-33703700-1394712983_thumb.jpg

The shower in the large cottage, 'Staunton', also did not work until I removed the shower head and chipped out the encrusted limescale.  After that it gave a parsimonious trickle of warm water.  In the cold temperatures found in Sagada a warm shower is essential unless you were brought up in a sado-masochistic English public school that eschewed the use of hot water.

The restaurant produced excellent tasty meals at a glacial speed.  One person would receive their meal and then after about 15 minutes the next person would receive their meal.  It was if they were only working with one pan or gas burner.  Not a major problem as two excellent establishments were within a short walk downhill in the town.  The nearest was Masferre, the best was Sagada Brew.

St Joseph's Rest House has huge potential and could be transformed into a moneyspinner for the church if the management was improved.  The manageress appeared totally unaware of what was going on.

I liked Sagada, it is much nicer than Banaue.  The hanging coffins left me distinctly underwhelmed, but as always the rice terraces and waterfalls were awesome.  There are at least two large hotels being built in Sagada, St Joseph’s will suffer from the competition unless it improves.

Sunrise at Kiltepan Tower

post-7781-0-16480900-1394712801_thumb.jpg

Rice Terrace

post-7781-0-33681100-1394712848_thumb.jpg

Waterfall

post-7781-0-40546800-1394712876_thumb.jpg

Hanging Coffins in a cave

post-7781-0-74639300-1394713075_thumb.jpg

Hanging coffins on the side of a cliff

post-7781-0-42297100-1394713114_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Chas

I forgot to include a general view of Sagada

post-7781-0-60687300-1394713600_thumb.jpg

dalek

Despite booking some months in advance and confirming a couple of days before arrival our booking was not as made.

though they do sound like a slapdash operation, just sending them an email and then perhaps ringing them up a couple of days before does not in itself count as making a real reservation. Particularly at the budget end of the market, the number of no-shows they have that do this can be very considerable - up to 50%. You need to give them a deposit to really make sure that a reservation will be honoured. Though many will honour it on the strength of an email and a phone call, many will not when an actual paying customer turns up offering money for the room.

Chas

Despite booking some months in advance and confirming a couple of days before arrival our booking was not as made.

though they do sound like a slapdash operation, just sending them an email and then perhaps ringing them up a couple of days before does not in itself count as making a real reservation. Particularly at the budget end of the market, the number of no-shows they have that do this can be very considerable - up to 50%. You need to give them a deposit to really make sure that a reservation will be honoured. Though many will honour it on the strength of an email and a phone call, many will not when an actual paying customer turns up offering money for the room.

I agree with you, though in this case I did try to offer a deposit.  In fact I was happy to pay in full in advance to be certain of getting what I wanted.  The manageress declined and said pay on arrival.   I am guessing that the main purpose of the Rest House is for church conferences and the additional income from other guests is a bonus to offset running costs.  Certainly the restaurant had the capacity to seat many people.

The room bookings were written up on a whiteboard in reception and there appeared to be no real thought given to room allocations.  It is a shame as the Rest House is in a prime position and the grounds are lovely.  I think if I go again I might try and stay at Masferre, I think it had rooms.