Colon Street Snatchers

easy44

Jeepneys and the areas where they stop are well known to be the places you are most likely to be robbed.  My advice to a newbie would be to avoid riding jeepneys altogether.  Most foreigners I know are able to afford a taxi and really don't need to use jeepneys, unless they just want a cultural experience.

Jim Sibbick

I used to live permanently on Colon. And have otherwise been staying there regularly since 1995.

There is nothing new in this thread for me.

Downtown is quite safe really. In 20 years of hanging around Downtown, the worst thing that has happened to me is pimps who will not take no for an answer. It is just a goldmine for snatchers and pick pocketers because there is so many stupid people in the streets. 

As previously posted here and in other forums.

Don't make yourself a target and you are unlikely to become one. By that I mean

- Dress down, do not dress like you are worth a million dollars.

- Don’t flash your cash

- Only carry the money you think you will need and leave the rest at home.

- Do not text or talk on a mobile/cell phone while walking in the street as it can be easily snatched.

- Keep your valuables hidden. Don't wear an expensive watch or choose not to wear a watch at all. There is a clock in your mobile phone if you need one. Do not have a necklace showing on the back of your neck that can easily be snatched

- Do not wear a bum bag, fanny pack or any other type of bag around your middle that will identify you as a tourist. These can easily be sliced off. In fact do not carry any type of bag at all, in the streets, for any reason. If you must carry a bag, make sure there is nothing valuable inside such as cash or passport.

- Don't carry a wallet. Keep your cash in front pockets that are zippered, velcro or buttoned. Keep large notes P200 and above separate from small notes P100 and below, This is because you will mostly be using P20 and P50 notes with the occasional P100 note but will rarely need the larger notes except for larger purchases inside stores. Then, any potential pick pocket will not know where on your person you main stash of cash is held.

- If a person says to you that he has never seen an American wallet and can he see yours, it is so his accomplice will know where to pick your wallet from. So, if you are carrying a wallet, do not admit it.

- Avoid travelling on jeepneys unless there is another person to watch out for you. You won't be saving any money at all if you lose a few thousand pisos to a pick pocket.
  • Like 7
charlest27

Here what i learned in the Big Easy, go out buy a cheap wallet , cut up paper the size of a dollar, write on it thou shall not steal, or pics what ever you want to do on the paper . Put them in your wallet back pocket so it is easy for them to steal. I did this and the pick pocket took my wallet ran across the street dogged cars and all once across stoped went to get the cash and grap only paper. I saw him he was so pissed i just smiled at him. He could have been killed or hurt if a car hit him. Who knows the pick pocket might have sued me if he was hurt by a car hitting him or the family sued me for wrongfull death of a pickpocket. Just a little trick you can use anywherebe carefully.

4thDan

I used to live permanently on Colon. And have otherwise been staying there regularly since 1995.

There is nothing new in this thread for me.

Downtown is quite safe really. In 20 years of hanging around Downtown, the worst thing that has happened to me is pimps who will not take no for an answer. It is just a goldmine for snatchers and pick pocketers because there is so many stupid people in the streets. 

As previously posted here and in other forums.

Don't make yourself a target and you are unlikely to become one. By that I mean

- Dress down, do not dress like you are worth a million dollars.

- Don’t flash your cash

- Only carry the money you think you will need and leave the rest at home.

- Do not text or talk on a mobile/cell phone while walking in the street as it can be easily snatched.

- Keep your valuables hidden. Don't wear an expensive watch or choose not to wear a watch at all. There is a clock in your mobile phone if you need one. Do not have a necklace showing on the back of your neck that can easily be snatched

- Do not wear a bum bag, fanny pack or any other type of bag around your middle that will identify you as a tourist. These can easily be sliced off. In fact do not carry any type of bag at all, in the streets, for any reason. If you must carry a bag, make sure there is nothing valuable inside such as cash or passport.

- Don't carry a wallet. Keep your cash in front pockets that are zippered, velcro or buttoned. Keep large notes P200 and above separate from small notes P100 and below, This is because you will mostly be using P20 and P50 notes with the occasional P100 note but will rarely need the larger notes except for larger purchases inside stores. Then, any potential pick pocket will not know where on your person you main stash of cash is held.

- If a person says to you that he has never seen an American wallet and can he see yours, it is so his accomplice will know where to pick your wallet from. So, if you are carrying a wallet, do not admit it.

- Avoid travelling on jeepneys unless there is another person to watch out for you. You won't be saving any money at all if you lose a few thousand pisos to a pick pocket.

And relax and have a good time....IF you can remember all the don'ts....Not picking on that post....but stop and think about it....you have to act like a prisoner even when out from behind your bars??? Score one for the tourism board.

tokyoman

Here what i learned in the Big Easy, go out buy a cheap wallet , cut up paper the size of a dollar, write on it thou shall not steal, or pics what ever you want to do on the paper . Put them in your wallet back pocket so it is easy for them to steal. I did this and the pick pocket took my wallet ran across the street dogged cars and all once across stoped went to get the cash and grap only paper. I saw him he was so pissed i just smiled at him. He could have been killed or hurt if a car hit him. Who knows the pick pocket might have sued me if he was hurt by a car hitting him or the family sued me for wrongfull death of a pickpocket. Just a little trick you can use anywherebe carefully.

Tie your wallet up to the inside pocket of trousers with a piece of string

More fun in the Philippines 

smokey

or you can find a stray dog one with lots of skin problems and carry him or her like you would a new born baby no one will come near you

charlest27

or you can find a stray dog one with lots of skin problems and carry him or her like you would a new born baby no one will come near you

I could put the dog on a leach and go around like he is my dog people would get out of my way i am sure of that.

Humboldt

a long time expat was telling me a story ,, about the time he was riding in a jeepney

a guy seated himself  next to him w/ briefcase , he knew he was a pick pocket type as lots of other seats

vacant , so he was watching the guy very close ,, he noticed the two hands remained on the briefcase

the whole time .. But low and behold  the guy got off with the expats wallet ,,,

he figured it out later the hand on the briefcase he was watching was a dummy hand/arm

ThomsonJr

LOL. I'd rather stay home then. 

livinglife007

My good wife got her good ears rings plucked down there.. She just believes it happens only to other people ., well there you go. live and not learn.

MattFromGA

I used to walk around colon with no problems.  I would also take my bike to carbon at night for vegis.  I would sit on the bike and move along with my wife as she got various items and I would carry excess until we drove off with big bag of vegis.  Never got robbed.  We did get snatched once while walking on the sidewalk in guadalupe.  A motorcycle just drove by and ripped the purse right out of my wife's arm.

I figured most expats knew to carry a basic wallet with a few pesos that sticks out a bit more than the real load hidden more discretely.