Colon Street Snatchers

burnttoast

Goes without saying but there are presently many thieves and pick pockets active in the Colon Street area, Downtown, Cebu City. Today I met my girlfriend for lunch. After our meal we split up at the 7 Eleven across from Colonade Mall and she had some errands to attend to. A few minutes later she had made it to Unitop  and felt a tug on her bag, she immediately checked it and saw a teenage boy behind her had unzipped it and was about to stick his hand inside when she yelled and the guy ran off. Nothing taken. Undoubtedly, the snatcher saw her with a foreigner, followed and targeted her. She said the guy was clean cut with hair gel and clothes. Just be advised when walking around downtown.

• Like 1

Undoubtedly, the snatcher saw her with a foreigner, followed and targeted her.

may I ask how you know that. Young women in Cebu get their phones and bags snatched all the time. I would have thought that whether a foreigner is there or not, is pretty much irrelevant. 

• Like 3
ThomsonJr

Undoubtedly, the snatcher saw her with a foreigner, followed and targeted her.

may I ask how you know that. Young women in Cebu get their phones and bags snatched all the time. I would have thought that whether a foreigner is there or not, is pretty much irrelevant. 

exactly, she could have indeed been targeted if she was alone, but the fact that she WAS with a foreigner, might make her a much better target than most other women in that area. 

I wonder why it is that members have to pick on whatever another member posts and especially when that member is trying to help others. :(

My wife and I were down at Colon the other day with another couple who just happen to be of Filipino descent and I could hear the kids talking about my wife being with me and eyeing her pocketbook whereas the other couple never got even a look, so it is possible that a lady with a foreigner does attract a lot more attention than two people who appear to be Filipinos, so they MIGHT be more of a target than just any lady. How many puti people do we see down in Colon in the first place.

• Like 7
Humboldt

We try and stay away from walking around colon / carbon mkt area,, Sure there are good deals there but not for me once they see I'm a foreigner I get the special price

I feel like Tom Cruise and wife Penelope Cruz. Way to much attention for me nothing good can happen only bad ...

we let the more low profile family members to do  business /shopping that area .

Paul

It is true. When a woman is seen with a foreigner, especially in areas like downtown, they can become more of a target. They will think the woman has more money, naturally. 

• Like 1

perhaps, but surely a thief would be better off robbing the foreigner, who almost certainly will have more cash on him than the average Filipino does, rather than robbing the girl who may not. Most times (and while I don't know for sure, not being in the habit of looking inside women's purses) when I am walking around with a girl in Cebu city, while I will almost always have thousands of pesos on me, she is likely to have only a few hundred at most. But then I am not in the habit of giving women large amounts of money.

I know numerous Filipinas that have been the victims of this kind of crime over the years and not one of them as far as I know was with a foreigner at the time.

• Like 1
tokyoman

Goes without saying but there are presently many thieves and pick pockets active in the Colon Street area, Downtown, Cebu City. Today I met my girlfriend for lunch. After our meal we split up at the 7 Eleven across from Colonade Mall and she had some errands to attend to. A few minutes later she had made it to Unitop  and felt a tug on her bag, she immediately checked it and saw a teenage boy behind her had unzipped it and was about to stick his hand inside when she yelled and the guy ran off. Nothing taken. Undoubtedly, the snatcher saw her with a foreigner, followed and targeted her. She said the guy was clean cut with hair gel and clothes. Just be advised when walking around downtown.

Add to that the area across from Robinsons near Mango square after 11 pm where street kids will target the pockets of drunk foreigners and their girls

The OP is right in that Pinoys know that girlfriends of Kanos generally have a better phone 

I won't allow my GF to go to work with her iphone not because I worry about the iphone getting snatched but her getting hurt in the process. Smart snatchers travel

on public transport and quickly spot then target girls (after they get off) using smart phones

My missus had her nice golden chain snatched down town while she was sitting in a jeepney. Kid was just walking past on street. Reached inside, got hold of it, ripped it off her neck and bolted. 

Brucewayne

Colon Street Snatchers

So that explains what happened to the streets there.

I agree, my wife won't go to that area with me because she feels safer with one of her non/foreigner family members.

woodchopper

This is "vague heresay" but I was told that in very recent times,,1 pnp fella and a security guard had a young fils fella handcuffed just inside the doors of 711,,the concerned store?

ThomsonJr

I've seen a young guy snatch a telephone from what appeared to be an overweight middle-aged Filipino man in Colon, the guy tried to run behind the snatcher but wasn't fast enough so he started screaming and screaming, then others managed to get the snatcher to the ground, nice team work I have to say, even they didn't know eachother. In just seconds the whole street was standing around the snatcher who was on the ground.

Actually i've been to Colon many times, and yes, foreigners get looked at but from what I remember it really isn't that bad. The main key is to dress down and pretend like you know where you are going (maybe that's why I didn't notice too many people looking at me, because I was busy going somewhere, not really looking at what others might be thinking of me or if they are looking towards me).

Edited by ThomsonJr
  • Like 2
quit_yume

but surely a thief would be better off robbing the foreigner, who almost certainly will have more cash on him than the average Filipino does, rather than robbing the girl who may not.

these thieves are cowards.. that's why the prefer to rob the women..  less likely to have a victim tell them "feck you" or punch them out.

oh come on. The kanos are likely to be between 2 and 3 times the robber's age and they can't even run - especially not when they are wearing flip flops. The robber will likely be a youth under 25, and probably more like 22 years of age. And you know what. If he's robbing people for a living, then he will have invested in a pair of trainers. They know they have to run.

Edited by dalek

I have noticed that many foreigners let their wives hold their wallets for them. Maybe the snatchers have noticed too.