Sign in to follow this  
trax

Moalboal trap

shadow

I agree. People have a right to know, and you have a right to speak the truth as you see it. Even in the Philippines.

You better do some reading on the libel laws of the Philippines before you get yourself or someone else in trouble. You do NOT necessarily have the right to speak the truth in the Philippines. Believing this can result in up to 12 years in prison. One of the reasons Paul feels safe about allowing such truths to be spoken on this forum is he is not in the Philippines, so cannot be prosecuted for allowing the truth to be spoken. Other forum owners do not all have that advantage.

• Like 5

Paul

You better do some reading on the libel laws of the Philippines before you get yourself or someone else in trouble. You do NOT necessarily have the right to speak the truth in the Philippines. Believing this can result in up to 12 years in prison. One of the reasons Paul feels safe about allowing such truths to be spoken on this forum is he is not in the Philippines, so cannot be prosecuted for allowing the truth to be spoken. Other forum owners do not all have that advantage.

And the fact that I would never sell out a member of the forum (regardless of how much or how little I know about them), to the Philippine government for stating factual information, even if it were libelous. Truth about the country to be stated on my sites, has always been my primary focus. How else will people know if it is for them or not? They do not need bleached / washed information, to make informed decisions about the country they are considering retiring to.

• Like 5

Gus

Stayed at Quo Vadis this week, Sunday and Monday night ..I noticed on Agoda's reviews, some complaint about noisy motorbikes, in an area behind the resort at night, causing disturbance to guests .. I didnt experience that this week, but it gives thought to what previous posters have said, and what could possibly have happened.

Paul

It's because some of their rooms open to the little access road there. That's why they put the bamboo across it like a check point, at night. 

Sven

They do not need bleached / washed information, to make informed decisions about the country they are considering retiring to.

Just for the record, some of us move to the Philippines while we are relatively young and working full time. This fine web site is invaluable to us as well.

• Like 4

Paul

Just for the record, some of us move to the Philippines while we are relatively young and working full time. This fine web site is invaluable to us as well.

Fair enough. My apologies.

I guess I still have in mind when this site was originally started, the vast majority of members, by far, were older guys wanting to find a place to retire to.

That isn't true any longer. Well, there are still a large percentage of retirees seeking information, or who live in country already. But, there are also a growing number of active members who are younger (and a bit older) and work in country, or are seeking to do so. 

burnttoast

Was in Moalboal this weekend. There may be some other traps lying in wait there. The standbys and for hire motorcycle riders that hang out at the bus pickup area are a real nuisance. This is right around the wooden police box stand and in the afternoon, everyone crowds into a small area to cover from the sun in front of those sari sari / bread stores. Me and my girlfriend both observed several of those bike riders looking at our and other tourists bags and pockets intently. If you ever find yourself waiting for an hour for a bus like we did I would advise extreme vigilance on scanning your surroundings and protecting your belongings.

• Like 1

mrlondon

+1

bulldoggy26_cute

I am not fully surprised by this trap... I found already the teenagers very aggressive near Kawasan falls. At that time (2 years ago I was with the family of my wife and they were really insulting my wife because we were not paying the 'virtual' security in the parking near the entry...).

As the place is a peace of beauty, we will certainly come back in day time but we will be very careful...

roaddog

Was in Moalboal this weekend. There may be some other traps lying in wait there. The standbys and for hire motorcycle riders that hang out at the bus pickup area are a real nuisance. This is right around the wooden police box stand and in the afternoon, everyone crowds into a small area to cover from the sun in front of those sari sari / bread stores. Me and my girlfriend both observed several of those bike riders looking at our and other tourists bags and pockets intently. If you ever find yourself waiting for an hour for a bus like we did I would advise extreme vigilance on scanning your surroundings and protecting your belongings.

This is true words for anywhere in the PI. Badian is just up the road maybe 12 -15k. A very not feel safe place to be after the sun goes down. But very nice and safe during business hours.

burnttoast

I am not fully surprised by this trap... I found already the teenagers very aggressive near Kawasan falls. At that time (2 years ago I was with the family of my wife and they were really insulting my wife because we were not paying the 'virtual' security in the parking near the entry...).

This is very true. The standersby there a few years back mobbed us as we got out of the vhire and I told my girlfriend to walk faster one of the standby mocked me and said "run". White dudes who parked their motorbikes there were discovering mysterious tire punctures and blowouts after visiting and not opting in for someone to "watch your bike sir?". Several young men wearing tour guide shirts would walk behind you to the clearly marked and trafficed trail you wouldn't even notice them and then when you got to the falls they would ask for money for showing you where to walk. If you actually agreed to hire a "tour guide" I read insane amounts into the 1000's for just walking alongside you. Pure insanity.

DiverChrisJ

I enjoyed reading the specultaion on the cause of the unfortunate and potentally dangerous harrasment of visitors to Moalboal, however  here are the facts behind this story.

The road in question leads to 3 resorts, Magic Island, Sampaguita and Turtle Bay Dive Resort. a 60m strecth of the baranguay road passes through a private property owned by Edgar Deniega (am employee of Sampaguita). After allowing the public free use of the road that passes through his property for 24 years, the Deniega family saw an opportunity to get some extra income and for a few weeks they threatened to close their road. There planned closure was discussed with the mayor and the baranguay captain but no final resolution was found and so the three resorts decided to have the area surveyed (to confirm ownership) and to refer the matter to the Court.

Before the issue could be heard by the Court, some of tne Deniega family took unilateral action to close the road - hence the unfortuante incident experienced by the blogger.

Before the problem had a chance to escalate further, one of the resort owners had a dialogue with Deniega family and reached a compromise. There is now a written agreement that the Deniega family wil continue to allow the public to use the road passing through their property without any harrassment. Thus visitors can once again safely travel to Magic Island, Sampaguita and Turtle Bay resorts.

• Like 1

Paul

I'm curious, Chris, as to how you learned of this having been posted on this forum?

Oh, not to sound critical. But, this isn't a blog. Blogs are for people who can't afford to pay for proper forum software.

trax

Thus visitors can once again safely travel to Magic Island, Sampaguita and Turtle Bay resorts.

Thanks for the updates in the issue. But I'd only say it's safe going there once the criminal who attacked my girl and me is put in jail, not free and receiving a reward for his actions.

Bill H

Thanks for the updates in the issue. But I'd only say it's safe going there once the criminal who attacked my girl and me is put in jail, not free and receiving a reward for his actions.

This is the Philippines mate, you now have a name and a location.  You always have the option of practicing Filipino justice.....just sayin'.