Sign in to follow this  
mrlondon

Iligan famous pension house P400

mrlondon

Famous Pension house hotel 1 and hotel 2, updated after almost 2 weeks staying here.

Actually the quality of famous pension far outdoes the price. It's just 400 for a double room with en suite, or 300 for a single room. And wifi is free, available in some rooms. Famous 1 charge 50 pesos extra for the TV to be switched on, but they will include it if you don't say anything. 

The double bed is extremely comfortable. Shower is cold only, aircon works well. In famous 1, windows open onto a central area, good ventilation to the outside, but people smoke in the central area. In famous 2, half of the rooms open onto fresh outside air, the rest have inner windows. Again, good ventilation in hallways. 

Very easy to sleep, since location is a side road. An excellent, cheap, popular canteen is very close (SFR food corner - but cooked food comes out at 7am and 10:50am, and gets cold in 1 hour - no lids)

Nice size... only 3 floors... a few staff... Famous 2 is the bigger, and better of the hotels, because there is more choice, and the staff are upbeat (unlike the grumpy guts in #1 - quite a stark, noticeable difference.)

Famous 2 have the option of larger rooms containing 2 single beds. This is the only room that doesn't feel cramped, and costs 450. The smaller double and single rooms are eligible for 50 peso discount if you are a senior or regular customer, a sign behind reception says so. The grammar on the sign is so convoluted, it took me a long time, until one day I finally realised what it meant. 

The food is excellent and cheap. All meals are around 70 or 75 pesos, kitchen opens 6am to 9pm.

Special mention to my 2 favourites:

Fish Tinola (soup with boiled fish fillets, ginger, onion and green chilli) (Rice included) P75 -  9/10 for the price

Chop Suey & Rice P75 - 10/10 - Best chop suey I've ever had at this price. 

The evening chef was heavy on the salt. Morning meals were great. 

Transport to the city centre is easy - any jeep will take you in 5-10 minutes depending on traffic. Iligan does not really experience serious problems with traffic, but when passing through the city, to head south to the falls, jeepneys may park for long periods to wait for passengers. Since Taxis charge min 300 and motorbike rides will ask 150 to the falls areas, might be worth offering the jeepney 100 to pass through the city without stopping, if you have a good seat up front...

Edited by mrlondon
  • Like 1

dalek

the rooms are too small. That is what I don't like about this place. Everything else touches the buttons though. They are good staff there here, for a budget place.

• Like 1

Sonny

Looks lika a nice place  They have photos on their website.

mrlondon

Oh yeah, famous 2 has 32" LCD TV's, while famous #1 has small old ones. 

Famous 2 picture

facade.jpg

Edited by mrlondon
  • Like 1

mrlondon

The problem with larger low cost rooms is the aircon is often under powered. That and there's more walking around to do. I'm a little disabled in that way.

Picture of the tinago falls nearby (2 jeep rides and a motorbike over some rocky road)

1492038_10152698543714097_1366346346_o.j

Edited by mrlondon

dalek

I like spacious rooms if I can get them. Famous is great but when there is two of you there is a bed, and that is it. Famous 2 is the better of the two, it has a much more social atmostphere especially on weekend evenings. If you want a better room check out First Choice Pension on the corner a few steps away from Famous 2, they have bigger rooms for like 690. But when they were even giving me a discount at Famous 2 and letting me stay there for only 300 a night, there was no way I was going to move. Aircon room with cable tv and wifi for 300? Unbelievable.

like in all these pensions you can rent for 12 hours or less as well as 24. So now you should be beginning to realise how easy and affordable it is to rent two rooms at once, for different friends. If you are going to do this, make sure that the two rooms, are on different floors if not in the different buildings 1 and 2, which are only three minutes walk from each other.

• Like 1

mrlondon

Review updated.

-

the rooms are too small. That is what I don't like about this place. Everything else touches the buttons though. They are good staff there here, for a budget place.

I looked at a 400 room (double) and a 450 (2 beds) side by side and i realised the double room is a LOT smaller!!!!! 

Edited by mrlondon

dalek

the bigger rooms are still not that big though, even when you push the two beds together. But I bet they will seem it, when you have been staying in one of the smaller ones for a while. And taxis are not 'minimum 300', although they are not metered and you do have to negotiate a price. 300 pesos is a big taxi fare. I used to pay 300 for a taxi from the iligan Gaisano out to Lugait 14km away. From the port, to Famous, I paid 100.when I initally arrived from Cebu at the port in January before I picked up my motorbike. If you do have a motorbike in Iligan, it's really easy. The main highways are wide, and there is little traffic on the side roads. And that is by far the best way to reach the falls and other attractions outside of town.

Famous is still one of the best deals you will find anywhere, they have not got any branches anywhere else as far as I know, but the D'Morvie pension on the highway closer to the Gaisano (which is like Famous only the rooms are 500) and which I think could be same 7th Day Adventist ownership (staff at Famous often wear D'Morvie t-shirts), have a place in CDO.

Edited by dalek

Jason S

A taxi fare anywhere in Iligan City Proper is 100php flat rate. Outside of the city proper, Lugait or Tinago Falls is about 300php but price can be negotiated. 

• Like 1

dalek

the way I usually calculate taxi fares outside city limits i.e. what a fair price is, is about 20 pesos per km with it getting a little bit less the further the distance is, like you apply the 'flagfall principle' even though there is no meter. From the Gaisano, Linamon is a little bit closer than Lugait so i might try to get a little bit less than 300 for there. CDO, at 90km, I would say a fair price would be 1500 or 1600.

mrlondon

D'morvie in CDO is like famous, except that the room has zero (yes ZERO) space between the wall and bed, on all 3 and a quarter sides of the bed. 

The staff have seemingly no soul, on my one visit. 

There's D'morvie in Davao also. Haven't seen it, I just saw the banner from the "My Hotel" window in Davao.

dalek

there is another one a touch away from the centre, forget its name, but that was one where you paid the rent (over 500) and they gave you this card which was your key and powered the aircon, etc and the second the 12 or 24 hours ran out, so does the electricity and the room plunges into total darkness. That one had a big mirror on the wall by the bed of each room (though not on the ceiling as well like Sogo Hotels can have sometimes). Maybe that was why they reckoned they could charge more, with it being a bit more 'daring'.  I've stayed in about six places in Iligan. Famous is easily the best. Not sure if they will rent rooms for less than 12 hours in Famous. In Divisoria, CDO you can get aircon rooms at pensions for as low as 135 for 3 hours. Hardly worth changing the sheets.

another thing about Famous is that there is a booze ban (those 7th Day Adventists, again). You are not supposed to bring any into the building. Presumably you have noticed how strict they are at searching bags. But they never searched mine in the day time, though they sometimes would at night. So the solution was to nip out to the convenience store on the highway to get a couple of Grandes in the daytime. Then cool it with ice either from the sari to the left of the entrance (Jay's place) which closes at 9pm or the 24 hour store, further away. They must have guessed I was drinking in the room, but they never said anything.

mrlondon

A taxi fare anywhere in Iligan City Proper is 100php flat rate. Outside of the city proper, Lugait or Tinago Falls is about 300php but price can be negotiated.

How much from famous pension to somewhere in the city?

spydoo
dalek, on 12 Mar 2014 - 8:26 PM, said:dalek, on 12 Mar 2014 - 8:26 PM, said:

... So now you should be beginning to realise how easy and affordable it is to rent two rooms at once, for different friends. If you are going to do this, make sure that the two rooms, are on different floors if not in the different buildings 1 and 2, which are only three minutes walk from each other.

I loathe the mistreatment of Filipinas this post suggests.

Changing your name isn't enough, Whippy, you need to change your heart.

Edited by spydoo

mrlondon

Booze ban doesn't bother me since I don't drink.