Lost Malaysian airliner

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Maybe the plane was hijacked!.....there were supposedly 2 people travelling on stolen passports......

Apparently that is not so very rare. According to BBC news: "When an Air India plane crashed in Mangalore in 2010 en route from Dubai, with the loss of 158 lives, as many 10 fraudulent passports were recovered."

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• philuk

• contraman

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They don't necessarily wish to fly it into a building. If they did it would already have been reported by the time you made the above post.   The US isn't the only country anyone in the world thinks

I dunno flame me if you will, but there were a lot of people on that plane and all these flippant comments seem rather disrespectful to those who are missing and their families.  My view anyway.

High tech drones are flown remotely every day.   But a commercial airliner that can be taken over by remote control on demand - horseshit   They aren't talking about a specific airframe that has b

Posted Images

musicman666

One thing I haven't heard mentioned in the news is whether or not there was data being transmitted automatically from the aircraft like there was for Air France Flight 447 when it crashed into the Atlantic. I assume there was none because if there was it would have been reported on by now. I believe that the data on the AF flight was transmitted via HF at certain times during the flight and proved valuable in investigsting what happened when it vanished, prior to them finding and recovering the black boxes nearly two years after the accident.

I saw a tv report on Rolls Royce where all of their engines around the globe transmit technical data 24/7 to their monitoring centre in theUK.

I think this aircraft had their engines??

Edited by musicman666
  • Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

Why have/did many Countries already introduce, and are using BIOMETRIC Passports with a 'chip'?

Biometric passport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

biometric passport, also known as an e-passportePassport or a digital passport, is a combined paper and electronic passport that contains biometric information that can be used to authenticate the identity of travellers. It uses contactless smart card technology, including amicroprocessor chip (computer chip) and antenna (for both power to the chip and communication) embedded in the front or back cover, or center page, of the passport. Document and chip characteristics are documented in the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Doc 9303.[1][2][3] The passport's critical information is both printed on the data page of the passport and stored in the chip. Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) is used to authenticate the data stored electronically in the passport chip making it expensive and difficult to forge when all security mechanisms are fully and correctly implemented.

The currently standardized biometrics used for this type of identification system are facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, and iris recognition. These were adopted after assessment of several different kinds of biometrics including retinal scan. The ICAO defines the biometric file formats and communication protocols to be used in passports. Only the digital image (usually inJPEG or JPEG2000 format) of each biometric feature is actually stored in the chip. The comparison of biometric features is performed outside the passport chip by electronic border control systems (e-borders). To store biometric data on the contactless chip, it includes a minimum of 32 kilobytes of EEPROM storage memory, and runs on an interface in accordance with the ISO/IEC 14443 international standard, amongst others. These standards intend interoperability between different countries and different manufacturers of passport books.

Some national identity cards (e.g. in the NetherlandsAlbania and Brazil) are fully ICAO9303 compliant biometric travel documents. However others, such as the USA passport card, are not.

Inspection process

A typical workflow of an automatic border control system:[5]

Border-Control-Process.png

Malaysia[edit]
See also: Malaysian passport
Malaysia was the first country in the world to issue biometric passports in 1998, after a local company, IRIS Corporation, developed the technology. Malaysia is however not a member of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and its biometric passport does not conform to the same standards as the VWP biometric document because the Malaysian biometric passport was issued ahead of the VWP requirement. The difference lies in the storage of fingerprint template instead of fingerprint image in the chip, the rest of the technologies are the same. Also the biometric passport was designed to be read only if the receiving country has the authorization from the Malaysian Immigration Department.[citation needed] Malaysia started issuing ICAO compliant passports from February 2010.

Philippines[edit]

On 11 August 2009, the first biometric passport was released for President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. The new e-passport has various security features, including a hidden encoded image; an ultra-thin, holographic laminate; and a tamper-proof electronic microchip costing at around 950 pesos.[81][82]

European Union[edit]

European passports planned to have digital imaging and fingerprint scan biometrics placed on the RFID chip.[24] This combination of the biometricsaims to create an unrivaled level of security and protection against fraudulent identification papers. Technical specifications for the new passports has been established by the European Commission.[25] The specifications are binding for the Schengen agreement parties, i.e. the EU countries, except Ireland and UK, and three of the four European Free Trade Association countries – Iceland, Norway and Switzerland.[26] These countries are obliged to implement machine readable facial images in the passports by 28 August 2006, and fingerprints by 29 June 2009.[citation needed] The European Data Protection Supervisor has stated that the current legal framework fails to "address all the possible and relevant issues triggered by the inherent imperfections of biometric systems".[27] Currently, the British biometric passport only uses a digital image and not fingerprinting, however this is being considered by HM Passport Office. The German passports printed after 1 November 2007 contain two fingerprints, one from each hand, in addition to a digital photograph. The Romanian passports will also contain two fingerprints, one from each hand. The Netherlands also takes fingerprints and is the only EU member that plans to store these fingerprints centrally.[28] According to EU requirements, only nations that are signatories to the Schengen Acquis are required to add fingerprint biometrics.[29] 

• Austria (available since 16 June 2006) An adult passport costs €69.90, while a chip-free child's version costs €26. As of March 2009 all newly issued passports contain fingerprints.[30]

• Italy (available since 26 October 2006): €42.50,[43] valid for 10 years, plus tax stamps of €40.29 per year (first is mandatory; an unexpired tax stamp is only required when travelling outside the European Union). As of January 2010 newly issued passports contain fingerprints.[44]

• UK (introduced March 2006): £72.50 for adults and £46[53] for children under the age of 16.[54] (Not Signatory to Schengen Acquis, no obligation to fingerprint biometrics.)
Unless otherwise noted, none of the issued biometric passports mentioned above include fingerprints as of 5 May 2010.

• Like 1

Even with the stolen passports, I highly doubt terrorism. Funny thing about them there terrorists is that they like to take credit for their deeds, otherwise how else would it matter to whatever cause they are promoting, if no one knew why it was done. As far as I know, no one claimed responsibility yet. I suspect another Air France flight 447 situation, where the pilots are too busy fecking up the situation to radio in a distress call. But I guess its to early to tell. RIP to everyone on board.

I don't think it is terrorism either but terrorists do not always claim responsibility for outrages. Think about it. Who claimed responsibilty for Lockerbie? Nobody, even now 25 years later. And even 9/11, Osama Bin Laden waited for three years before claiming responsibilty for it - not that it matters particularly seeing as everyone knew it was him anyway. Even Hamas, do not always claim responsibility for incidents immeadiately. I remember the first ever British suicide bombers (who attacked a bar called Mike's Place in Tel Aviv in April 2003) were handled by Hamas, although another group initially claimed responsibility. It took a year for Hamas to say publicly that it was them. It is not always in the interest of terrorist groups to admit responsibility, certainly not straight away like a few days later.

OrmocArse

I don't think it is terrorism either but terrorists do not always claim responsibility for outrages. Think about it. Who claimed responsibilty for Lockerbie? Nobody, even now 25 years later. And even 9/11, Osama Bin Laden waited for three years before claiming responsibilty for it - not that it matters particularly seeing as everyone knew it was him anyway. Even Hamas, do not always claim responsibility for incidents immeadiately. I remember the first ever British suicide bombers (who attacked a bar called Mike's Place in Tel Aviv in April 2003) were handled by Hamas, although another group initially claimed responsibility. It took a year for Hamas to say publicly that it was them. It is not always in the interest of terrorist groups to admit responsibility, certainly not straight away like a few days later.

What? No one claimed responsibility for Lockerbie? The Gaddafi regime admitted responsibility in 2002 and even paid compensation. Granted that's 14 years later, so you have a point.

Not everyone knows it was Osama Bin Laden, including me. But I digress...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Libya did not 'claim' responsibility for Lockerbie. They 'admitted' it (see the difference?) under foreign pressure years later and offered up a couple of sacrificial lambs for slaughter, one of whom was aquitted in the joke court the pair of them stood trial in, at great expense. Of course I don't know for sure but out of all them, least of all 9/11 which is a total slam dunk, Lockerbie is the one that adds up the least if you want to point the finger at Qadaffi.  To me it looks like it was likelier Palestinians together with Syria and Iran, in a Sunni-Shia crossover in revenge for the USA shooting down an Iranian civilian airliner with a couple of hundred people on board, who pulled off Lockerbie, and that was the initial line of enquiry. Libya was nowhere.  But when the United States badly needed Syria as an ally, in the first Gulf War only months after Lockerbie, they conveniently forgot all that.

OrmocArse

OK, 9/11 is a total slam dunk and Lockerbie is a conspiracy. Whatever you say. I think we should get back on topic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Jess Bartone

I personally really hate flying, i've had numerous nightmares about me being on an airplane which crashed. This only makes it even scarier for me to fly. 

Statistically you're far safer in a plane than a car, but tragedies like this one are far more shocking for the sheer numbers killed simultaneously. It really hit home for me when I saw the photo of the lady crying, and I thought of all the people feeling the same way.

Edited by Jess Bartone
  • Like 3
Steve and Myrlita

Statistically you're far safer in a plane than a car, but tragedies like this one are far more shocking for the sheer numbers killed simultaneously. It really hit home for me when I saw the photo of the lady crying, and I thought of all the people feeling the same way.

Yes after I saw the photo and if I was there, I probably would have reached out and hugged her.

• Like 1
ozboy

The door that was found is not from the MAL flight....so it seems the mystery remains....

samatm

Wonder if it was shot down by accident and no one is fessin up.   

• Like 2
cebubird

From the "experts" I have heard so far, seems like the likelihood of in-air explosion(or the shoot-down theory)is sort of bein ruled out as this would leave a vast debris field. Their speculation is nose first into ocean which would not.

For instance when Columbia exploded, debris was scattered from west Texas into Louisiana.

There has been couple instances where it seems pilots crashed plane on purpose, tho' they still aren't 100% sure.

Granted it surely can take days to find anything, but at this point, seems like this could possibly remain a mystery.

• Like 1
samatm

I think we need Rod Serling to splain this one. 

Edited by samatm
  • Like 1
Bill H

I'm still astounded by the passport SNAFU.  In this day and age authorities can't manage to build a database that has the passport and the issuing picture on the passport?  Are you serious?  How hard can that be?  My faith in the system is no at an all time low, not that it was ever high, but this information is just astounding.  What kind of fools do we have running these organizations? 

• Like 1