Lost Malaysian airliner

Missing Malaysia Airlines plane 'may have turned back'

_73462091_021462550-1.jpgFriends and relatives expecting to meet passengers from the flight in Beijing were taken to a nearby hotel

Radar signals show a Malaysia Airlines plane that has been missing for more than 24 hours may have turned back, Malaysian officials have said.

Rescue teams looking for the plane have now widened their search area.

Investigators are also checking CCTV footage of two passengers who are believed to have boarded the plane using stolen passports.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• philuk

• contraman

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They don't necessarily wish to fly it into a building. If they did it would already have been reported by the time you made the above post.   The US isn't the only country anyone in the world thinks

I dunno flame me if you will, but there were a lot of people on that plane and all these flippant comments seem rather disrespectful to those who are missing and their families.  My view anyway.

High tech drones are flown remotely every day.   But a commercial airliner that can be taken over by remote control on demand - horseshit   They aren't talking about a specific airframe that has b

Posted Images

spydoo

_73462091_021462550-1.jpg

I'd beat those cameramen if I was there, just like one good bloke did.

• Like 3
ThomsonJr

If they can't find that "black box' then they will never know the reason why the airplane crashed, they can't prevent any future crashes.

Edited by ThomsonJr
cebubird

Just read news report that said 4 passengers are now being investigated.

ozboy

:cold: Dalek is a new member with 11 posts n he is from Mother England....not USA....

spydoo

:cold: Dalek is a new member with 11 posts n he is from Mother England....not USA....

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sorry for wrongly assuming Dalek was from the US.

• Like 2
Jess Bartone

The picture of the woman crying is at the guts of it, I had to scroll down before I joined her... almost did when I saw it.

• Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26498628

blq-blocks_grey_alpha.png

NEWS ASIA

Missing Malaysia airliner: Hunt for clues begins

By Chris YatesAviation expert

_73454215_014cb32e-429d-425a-b291-404321
The search has involved several nations and agencies, including the Vietnamese Air Force

Although it has not been stated explicitly yet, there seems little doubt that Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has crashed and probably with great loss of life.

Rescue will inevitably turn into recovery - of wreckage and bodies - and the search for clues will begin.

What happened aboard the Boeing B777-200 twinjet has already become the subject of much speculation, but it is important to recognise that answers will only emerge after a detailed investigation.

A team from the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will already be on its way to provide technical assistance to the Department of Civil Aviation of Malaysia (DCA), which will probably lead the investigation.

So what might they look for?

Weather can almost certainly be ruled out as a cause. Conditions have been described in different ways, but the consensus is that the aircraft was airborne in near-perfect flying conditions.

This leaves just two main possibilities - catastrophic mechanical failure or an act of terrorism.

_73456509_321fa4b7-d955-47a9-a819-84ba76
One of the first clues: Slicks on the sea in an area being searched by the Vietnamese Air Force
_73456506_7b907c67-fb18-4b4f-8d42-a32e8f
Relatives of the 239 people on board must now have little doubt about the plane's fate

Aircraft are complex machines, which require regular maintenance.

Investigators will undoubtedly examine the maintenance record of this aircraft to determine whether all the requisite checks were fully completed, on-schedule, and attempt to glean whether there were any recent unaddressed issues.

They will do so knowing that Malaysia Airlines has been battling financial uncertainty. The state airline has been losing ground to ferociously competitive low-cost carriers, which may have implications for aviation safety.

The airline is regarded as having a strong safety record, however. It last witnessed a major incident in 1995, after one of its aircraft crashed in the Malaysian city of Tawua.

The second and perhaps more frightening possibility is that an act of terrorism downed the airliner.

This incident comes just a week after 29 people were killed in a mass-stabbing in south-western China that authorities blamed on Uighur militants, and security has again been stepped up at transport hubs in China.

It is important to stress, though, that no-one has admitted carrying out an attack.

Until some clues appear, everything is just speculation and the loss of the airliner remains a mystery waiting to be unravelled.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

I was watching Channel News Asia a couple of hours ago and there was a clip of an official of the Chinese civil aviation administration and what he said was very interesting.  He claimed that "using all technical means" (or words to that effect) debris had been spotted and he even gave the coordinates and claimed that this was awaiting verification by search vessels.  What is very strange is that this has not been reported elsewhere.  I guess a satellite could pick up clear images of debris given the resolution they now have available.  All very puzzling but tragic for all those involved and affected.

CebuKano

The picture of the woman crying is at the guts of it, I had to scroll down before I joined her... almost did when I saw it.

Same here. Sad is not a strong enough word. I really feel for the people involved.

CebuKano

One thing I haven't heard mentioned in the news is whether or not there was data being transmitted automatically from the aircraft like there was for Air France Flight 447 when it crashed into the Atlantic. I assume there was none because if there was it would have been reported on by now. I believe that the data on the AF flight was transmitted via HF at certain times during the flight and proved valuable in investigsting what happened when it vanished, prior to them finding and recovering the black boxes nearly two years after the accident.

Edited by Motörhead
spooks

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sorry for wrongly assuming Dalek was from the US.

He is based in Sheffield a million miles away from this tragedy.

This endless speculationbearing in mind the reasons is not surprising even if unhelpful, rampant theorizing will take place

Edited by spooks
Bill H

I personally really hate flying, i've had numerous nightmares about me being on an airplane which crashed. This only makes it even scarier for me to fly. 

Did you know you can get to the PH on a freighter as a paying passenger?  It takes about a month give or take and you have to depart from LA or Seattle on the west cost and NYC/NJ on the east coast in the USA.  The price is about 50% more than flying.

• Like 1
Bill H

What concerns me at this point (and shocks me) is that apparently there is no system to check the validity of passports when you go through customs and board an airplane.  One of the pp was stolen two years ago?  Apparently no one bothered to check if any of the passports being used on this flight were valid.  How can this be?  Can someone tell me?  Are there no data bases in place that can be checked?  Really scary a passport stolen two years ago could be used to board a international flight today, ya' know?

My heart goes out to all the lost souls on board particularly the two babies.  So sad.

• Like 5