About that Australian Accused of Rape?

contraman

Gus...thanks for taking the time to do what you have,,,,does the OZ embassy know about his plight? Im not sure if it would even work but im prepared to communicate with his family here or even Centrelink to see what can be done....its just a longshot but anything may help keep his spirits up...

I wonder if Centrelink even know.

I read where there was a case in Bali recently where an Australian was arrested and in custody.

There was an article about how he was still able to get his benefit.

I am not sure what benefit he was on though so rules may be different.

(I cannot for the life of me find the story, it may have been a TV item when I was there)

Perhaps his legal advisor could follow up

Just a thought

• Like 2
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Gus

• rbm

• contraman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday was able to visit this guy in Torledo prison.   Not able to add a lot to the excellent post above except update a little.   We did not bring anything as thought he may well be out at thi

strange you should post this comment ..  I went to visit him today .. i think my 4th visit since he was incarcerated in January, He tells me he had a hearing on June 4th , in Toledo Court . He said

Well done Gus and that's welcome news, let's hope his health condition is not to serious.   As for people that post idiotic comments about FEELING GOOD they should get off their butts and go thro

Davaoeno

I am surprised Davaoeno that you are not well versed in the almost contant refrain emanating from "Womens Charities" about the relatively ( in their opinion ) low numbers of men convicted of rape and sexual crimes against women.

my bad - somehow i didnt see the " for sexual crimes" at the end of your post !!   Personally i would like to see a lot more convictions- but only with real proof , so the threat cant be used to extort money from  innocent victims 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
contraman

Anyone have a hearing date for this guy?

I will shortly have more time availble and would be interested

In perhaps attending, not that I can do much, but would be some moral support.

• Like 3
ozboy

Yeah haven't heard from Gus yet...not sure if he lives near the jail...maybe someone else close by could check it out.....

Any of you who wish to be there at the trial for this fellow should keep in mind the old adage, "guilty by association" so if you feel he may be guilty, then it might be best to keep your distance when in a country such as the Philippines, since we stand out like a sore thumb and then might end up getting more attention to our everyday activities than needed.  I guess it is a balancing act, help and support is the right thing to do for the innocent. 

smokey

Any of you who wish to be there at the trial for this fellow should keep in mind the old adage, "guilty by association" so if you feel he may be guilty, then it might be best to keep your distance when in a country such as the Philippines, since we stand out like a sore thumb and then might end up getting more attention to our everyday activities than needed.  I guess it is a balancing act, help and support is the right thing to do for the innocent. 

sad but true if your a foreigner they might be news there and YOUR picture will be in the Freeman....  Guess we are like seals in the ocean once a shark grabs one you have to assume they are gone and life goes on

I sincerely trust we do not all subscribe to this rather selfish theory of guilty by association.

As we all know there is a reasonable possibility of innocence. If so, do we just leave him to suffer as Mr Lee seems to suggest.

I will visit him on the Friday 11 July, bring a few books and fruits. Any suggestions, advice on anything else appreciated.

Mr Lee I pray your never in this situation and left abandoned as you appear to suggest would be appropriate.

• Like 8

I sincerely trust we do not all subscribe to this rather selfish theory of guilty by association.

As we all know there is a reasonable possibility of innocence. If so, do we just leave him to suffer as Mr Lee seems to suggest.

I will visit him on the Friday 11 July, bring a few books and fruits. Any suggestions, advice on anything else appreciated.

Mr Lee I pray your never in this situation and left abandoned as you appear to suggest would be appropriate.

Unfortunately you have read my post wrong. THIS is the Philippines where we are all seen as guilty just because other westerners do crazy stuff. I did not write to not support him, read it again and get over yourself.. 

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Lee- i understand what you are trying to say, but at the same time if we are to prejudge people  ie as you say  " if you feel he may be guilty'  - then we are no better than the filipinos who think he must be guilty just because he is a foreigner

• Like 4
towboat72

I have never dated a girl that I had to worry about her age

and I would like to think that he is not guilty and not pre judge him

• Like 1
Skywalker

Sadly what Lee says is quite correct.  *IF* this guy is found guilty, then of course anybody associated with that person will fall under the umbrella of suspicion.

It's just how it is.  It really doesn't matter what your opinion is.

If the police are looking for someone, they automatically go to the persons associated with that suspect.

Just remember that people who are involved in criminal activity rarely act alone.  

Unfortunately, whilst innocence is supposed to be presumptive, it would be a foolish fellow who would rely on that maxim.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 4
ellenbrook2001

please also we liked to go there please let me know if you have transport or go by bus thanks

• Like 3
Ozbrum

I think Lee was trying to be helpful and was advising caution.

I intend to visit the guy soon.

My partner (who is mature and lived with me for 2 years, we built house together so commitment is confirmed ) also advised me to be very careful when visiting, she would not go at all and was quite scared at the idea of visiting someone in jail !  She thinks people can easily take advantage of our goodwill, god knows what she means by that .

• Like 1
Alan S

For anyone going to cover the trial, could you perhaps get a temporary acreditation from an Australian news agency / paper etc?

That would give a good reason to be there, and one that doesnt involve you as a possible accomplice of the accused.

His local (to him in Oz) paper might be happy to just wrote a letter, in return for a one page report of the trial.

• Like 3
Skywalker

His local (to him in Oz) paper might be happy to just wrote a letter, in return for a one page report of the trial.

I suspect, though I'm not certain, that the Oz chap probably wants details of any proceedings against him to remain in-Country.

• Like 1