About that Australian Accused of Rape?

rfm010

he, has been charged with 3 charges ..abuse of a minor, attempted rape, and rape . ... He tells me he can be released if he posts surety bond of 180,000 peso,s

does this fellow have any kind of legal representation?  i had thought that these types of charges were non-bailable.  at least in the not-a-bribe sense of bail.  but i certainly don't know for sure.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Gus

• rbm

• contraman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday was able to visit this guy in Torledo prison.   Not able to add a lot to the excellent post above except update a little.   We did not bring anything as thought he may well be out at thi

strange you should post this comment ..  I went to visit him today .. i think my 4th visit since he was incarcerated in January, He tells me he had a hearing on June 4th , in Toledo Court . He said

Well done Gus and that's welcome news, let's hope his health condition is not to serious.   As for people that post idiotic comments about FEELING GOOD they should get off their butts and go thro

does this fellow have any kind of legal representation?  i had thought that these types of charges were non-bailable.  at least in the not-a-bribe sense of bail.  but i certainly don't know for sure.

he told me he has an attorney representing him Atty Labrado, based in Toledo City .. Im sorry I dont know about the non-bailable issue, but I was a little surprised when he mentioned it ..he had a file with documents inc , the charges, her statement, the medical report etc ..a lot of it in cebuano, but he had them partly translated . I asked him if there was anything I could do for him ( gulp ! ), however he did not ask for money, or for me to contact anyone in particular, just appreciated my visit, and was pleased when I said I would try to get him some more visitors ..

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...
contraman

Does anyone have an update on this ?

• Like 1

He is in a cell with 20 guys, 1 toilet, in the cell. Each day gets 3 cups of rice ..breakfast, lunch and dinner. With lunch and dinner gets a small cup of fish flavoured water they call soup.

Note that, always remember where we are!

• Like 1
oscarpears

That's a great service you're done there Gus, i admire you and without hesitation i would do the same myself if i was in Cebu.

As you say, to be a white man or indeed a black man in a Philippine prison adds much misery to an already shitty situation.

What's your gut feeling about the man ? Do you get the impression that he is the victim of a set up, or just the victim of his own idiocy?

There is a British charity for those locked up abroad. They provide things like bottled water and anti-biotics when needed, perhaps they can help too ?

Apparently his next hearing is in September, so I might try to make an effort to be there .. he tells me lots of stuff that is supposed to be happening, and I guess you could not blame him for losing his sense of reality in there, which is why i dont really want to repeat all our conversations. And I will be the first to aplogise to him if what I doubt are proved to be correct.

His health is not great , wears a neck brace as a result of a motor accident in Australia, was on a disability pension, which has now been stopped, due to his inability to return to Oz in the required time frame...

so, its not a happy picture ...

Will continue to report as info becomes available

• Like 1

Firstly , just want to say ..even though I lived in Toledo at the same time as this guy, I did not know him, and do not recall ever even seeing him. He certainly did not mix in the expat community that I did.

My gut feeling ? Probably every adjective associated with foolishness could be applied ..but I feel, a well meaning fool who thought he was doing the right thing to help a lass thru college, and ended up making the ultimate mistake !

He tells me that he became the victim of a set up , or at least, when he refused to comply with the request for "extra funding" was when the police became involved.

• Like 2
quit_yume

We have had some threads on LinC discussing what a Christian is....   I think your actions pretty well define it.  I appreciate you Gus.

-quito

• Like 6
newbster

Jeez, bad situation it sounds like - glad to hear that someone is at least visiting the fellow. He may or may not be guilty of anything, but the conditions sound rough and the justice system in PI seems a bit dodgy to say the least. Scary.

ozboy

Gus...thanks for taking the time to do what you have,,,,does the OZ embassy know about his plight? Im not sure if it would even work but im prepared to communicate with his family here or even Centrelink to see what can be done....its just a longshot but anything may help keep his spirits up...

• Like 7
smokey

i knew a guy once in the same sort of spot his word againt her word and he invited her to visit to discuss how to solve the problem and she quoted a price and keep hammering about how no one would take his work over a fine upstanding college student and she blasted him like a truck driver and screamed very unlady like things and left... not knowing he was recording ... it helped him a great deal on resetting the price of settlement as it was not possible to tell if the judge was going to allow the recording to be heard

Edited by smokey
  • Like 5
oscarpears

i knew a guy once in the same sort of spot his word againt her word and he invited her to visit to discuss how to solve the problem and she quoted a price and keep hammering about how no one would take his work over a fine upstanding college student and she blasted him like a truck driver and screamed very unlady like things and left... not knowing he was recording ... it helped him a great deal on resetting the price of settlement as it was not possible to tell if the judge was going to allow the recording to be heard

I heard the leader of the Taxi drivers federation in Dublin saying something similar. Many drivers now have recording equipment in their cars, as some girls will refuse to pay their fare and threaten to report the driver for attemped rape.

Men, especially in the Philippines need to be very careful in their behaviour and attitute. The courts are constently been exhorted to increase their conviction rates for sexual crimes, don't do them a favour by adding to their statictics and don't do anything stupid that can be used to blackmail or frame you.

Davaoeno

The courts are constently been exhorted to increase their conviction rates for sexual crimes

By whom?  and how do you know this ?

oscarpears

I am surprised Davaoeno that you are not well versed in the almost contant refrain emanating from "Womens Charities" about the relatively ( in their opinion ) low numbers of men convicted of rape and sexual crimes against women.

I hold absolutely no candle for rapists or the groping animalistic behaviour of some men.

But we have a trial by jury system, it is a flawed system in the sense that some guilty people are freed and some innocent people get locked up; but it is the best system we have and should be left to itself to persue justice without recourse to sex, race or wealth.

This is an extract from a reacent newspaper article, i am sure you are better versed in finding stuff on the internet than i am, so i am sorry, but this is the best i can do.

Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, said: “It is alarming that convictions for sex offences are falling at a time when the number of recorded offences is rising sharply.

“We have warned David Cameron and Theresa May for some time that there is a growing justice gap and more serious criminals are getting away with the their crimes without facing prosecution or the courts - let alone conviction.

“It’s time the Home Secretary took action to make sure victims get the justice they deserve.”

Alison Saunders, the Director of Public Prosecutions, and Martin Hewitt, Association of Chief Police Officers’ (Acpo) lead for adult sex offences, said earlier this month that juries should be given advice about the common misconceptions of rape at the start of trials to help avoid confusion.

They are heading a task force to investigate the fall in numbers of successful rape prosecutions and what can be done to reverse the trend.

The Devil is as ever in the detail. When they speak of the rise in sexual crime, that has been caused by "Operation Yewtree" which has yielded 500 charges alone against one dead rapist Jimmy Saville, that individual alone has pushed up the figures for sexual crime in the UK.

To be accused of a sexual offence is such a serious crime that i am strongly of the view that the facts alone should be put before the jury and neither Judge or Jury be they in the Philippines or the UK should not have any pressure on them to convict or to exonerate, but simply to follow the facts and make up their minds accordingly.