Sign in to follow this  
CaptRonn

Looking for a boat (yacht)

CaptRonn

I owned a few boats back in the US, the last was a Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse.

I've started looking around here for another boat, perhaps a sportfish.   I've also considered buying a hull with engines and doing the finishing and outfitting myself.

Another idea is to buy a utility type boat and convert to a yacht.

If anyone has any leads or contacts on boat builders I would like to hear from you.

Thanks.

jtmwatchbiz

since you're already in lapu-lapu i guess there's nothing to be had at the yacht club there. about the only place i've seen anything resembling the sport fisher type stuff we are used to in the USA is at the manila yacht club. 

spritsail

I dont know if you can PM me, but I know of a very nice ironwood/teak liveaboard phinisi - two masted, gaff rigged ketch available altough it might be going to Ko Samui in Thailand next month, also a nice trawler yacht (steel) for sale lying samal Island (Davao). 62 ft, been used for carrying aid to remote islands, owner now has 38 meter schooner

Bill H

You don't see many sport fishers because they are very thirsty boats and few can afford to feed them.

Labor is very cheap here, but almost everything else is more expensive and many things not available at all.  So if you build here, you end up importing a lot of stuff from the States or if you are willing to settle for low quality, China.  That erodes much of the labor savings quickly.  The other problem with building here now is the lack of quality plywood.  There is a general logging ban throughout the PH; so legitimate plywood companies find it very difficult to purchase the logs they need to keep the plant working.  Most plywood you find here, even the plywood labeled "marine" is junk not worthy of building a shipping crate, much less a yacht.  I've had some of the local plys delaminate in less than an hour in a standard boil test.  A quality ply should go in excess of 72 hours without any delamination.

Epoxy rosin is now available, as is mat and roving, but it's costly.  The quality seems acceptable though.  All in all, it is a myth that boats can be built cheaper here for all of the above stated reasons.  There are some deals to be had in the used boat market here, but they are not easy to find, since there are few marinas and fewer yacht brokers.  You might try Yachtworld.com  That will bring up boats in Thailand and all of Asia and the world.

Best of luck to you. 

• Like 1

Gus

Theres a decent looking yacht on Ayosdito today, funnily enough, in the Automobile section, spare parts, and other ..looks like it might be at that marina at Liloan, which isnt far from Lapu x 2, would be worth a look around that area, looks to be a boatyard there ..

Ozepete

Bill is right, fit outs in the Philippines can be very expensive and frustrating. We export equipment for yachts and the Phils has to be among the worst and most expensive countries we ship into, as far as import costs go. We have had small parts cost more to get them into the country than the item including express courier was worth. Many of our clients are refurbishing in Malaysia where the government has a welcoming policy for boaties, instead of short sighted rip offs! Sad because the Philippines is missing out on potential employment and income from boat owners as they wait out their repairs. Just another example of a beurocracy totally out of touch with the real world today.

• Like 1

miles-high

Many of our clients are refurbishing in Malaysia where the government has a welcoming policy for boaties, instead of short sighted rip offs!

Another reason why I am looking into the details of using a Subic “free port” base for those items, or even possibility of moving there… Things are cheaper in their duty free stores… There are at least a few Australian/British/Filipino guys who seem to be knowledgeable in boat repairing/electronics and their business appear to be expanding… There are at least 2 secure yacht clubs that are close to those large malls/super markets/duty free stores...

It is my understanding that Subic Bay is the safest place in the Philippines to keep your boat during the typhoon season... and there are many boats for sale there, using the major search engines...

The downside of living in Subic Bay would be that it is in the middle of nowhere and unless you own a boat and/or an airplane, I would think that it would be extremely boring to live there (there are night clubs in the next town, Olangapo, but I don’t know if they are up to par with those in Angeles… ;)). You would also need to drive at least 4, 5 hours to get to Manila to fly to major international destinations... :(

Bill H

Bill is right, fit outs in the Philippines can be very expensive and frustrating. We export equipment for yachts and the Phils has to be among the worst and most expensive countries we ship into, as far as import costs go. We have had small parts cost more to get them into the country than the item including express courier was worth. Many of our clients are refurbishing in Malaysia where the government has a welcoming policy for boaties, instead of short sighted rip offs! Sad because the Philippines is missing out on potential employment and income from boat owners as they wait out their repairs. Just another example of a beurocracy totally out of touch with the real world today.

I've tried to work with local officials to establish facilities for yachts here, but it's worse than beating one's head into a titanium wall.  Bottom line if officials don't see big bucks in their pockets on an ongoing basis they are not interested.  The simply could care less about helping the people or building the local economy.  A very sad situation in deed, because there are some tremendous cruising grounds here and if developed even a little bit there would be thousands of yachties cruising these waters and spending $$ in the local economy.

• Like 2