Sign in to follow this  
Irenicus

Bootleg products? Say it ain't so!

Irenicus

Well, you well-travled explorers of South East Asia already know all about this, but being new to the area this is all fresh to me.

The number of counterfeit goods here is simply amazing.  And it isn't just the usual mish mash of usual suspects - cell phones, watches, tablets, computer products, DVDs, software, games and what not, it also includes bootleg construction equipment (mainly electrical home components - cabling, breakers, etc. -  and even cigarettes and - most likely - booze (got offered some a suspicious bottle of Tanduay for sale by a baijao).

I was in Tops and Bottoms in Dumaguete yesterday and snapped some obvious counterfeit goods:

post-14529-0-74146500-1394152194_thumb.jpg

$1.50 for Beats?  Dre's gonna be pissed!

post-14529-0-76883500-1394152215_thumb.jpg

Uh-huh.

post-14529-0-97019700-1394152197_thumb.jpg

Seems legit.

Then, when I got home, I realized some Marlboros that I had purchased the other day were also bootleg - the draw on them was horrible, they tasted flat, and they would burn horribly ("canoeing" as we used to call it).  I bought another pack from Robinsons and they were fine.

The packaging was actually pretty durn close - the font was correct but the thickness of the labeling was off:

The actual fakes were thicker than real Marlboros but the font (and thickness) on the cigarettes were spot on.

post-14529-0-80764600-1394152202_thumb.jpg

Slightly thicker printing on left (fake Marlboros)

post-14529-0-42243700-1394152209_thumb.jpg

Reversed on this one - Thicker printing on right (real Marlboros)

• Like 1

Davaoeno

By bootleg I am assuming that you mean counterfeit- and not produced under license from the original manufacturer ?

I think you might find that you are mistaken about some products.  Sometimes the manufacturer makes more than one quality of the same item - top of the line for western consumption at high prices, and lower quality meant for sale at lower prices in other markets [ such as the Philippines].  I understand that some factories have production lines side by side - each producing an item which differs only in quality .

I have been in Vietnam and bought running shoes from an official Nike store - for half the price in Canada, and about half the quality .  The same thing happens here in the Phil 

rfm010

$1.50 for Beats? Dre's gonna be pissed!

let him be pissed.  the real things aren't worth that much.

• Like 3

Irenicus

I think you might find that you are mistaken about some products.

I could be mistaken on the $2.80 mice from Dell and HP - didn't have anything to go by.  The Beats (Dolby and surround sound?) and iPhone are definite fakes as are the Marlboro's. 

There are also a bunch of Samsung Galaxy fakes going around - seriously bad fakes.

Just saying, is all.

samatm

pissed me off .. in retail outlet in the NEW Ayala.. they were selling CF products..    I thought I got a good deal on a Samsung  charger for my cell phone... burned out in 2 days.   only cost 180 pesos..but i thought it was legit on sale since it was from nice place in a nice mall.... Also same story with "samsung" ear buds ...  one ear quit in two weeks.   the wernt give away cheap.. 450 pesos... crap.

The junk is every where... and it can be fatal    see counterfeit meds and  equipment.   Don't ya know there must be counterfeit  aircraft parts  flying on budget carriers?   scary. 

• Like 1

SkyMan

I'm told some of the higher end smokes here often taste like arse because they sit on the shelf a looooong time.

Are you saying my wife's Gucci bag is a fake?  I want my p250 back!!!   I've been robbed!!!  :oldtimer:

• Like 4

Irenicus

I'm told some of the higher end smokes here often taste like arse because they sit on the shelf a looooong time.

I gave the fake Marlboro's to my yard guy.  He smokes the cheapest he can get but couldn't even smoke the "Marlboro's"  They just kept canoeing/elvising.  

Someone mentioned the fake meds - yeah, that's scary stuff when your life depends on it.

roadking

well its the old adage isn't it.

If it seems to be to good to be true, well....... :db:

Sven

Don't forget also, that the profits on some products can be insane, when sold through a shop in the West.

Consider a pair of Ray-Ban shades, for example. I guess they cost maybe $1 to produce... They will then pass through several hands, official distributors etc, until they are sold for maybe $200 in Europe or the US. The profits go towards marketing, floor space, staff, etc.

It may be perfectly possible to distribute the same item in a poorer market for, say, $20, and still make a profit there.

It may well be the exact same thing from the same factory.

Yet another possibility is, finished products may be sorted into several quality categories ("buckets"), then priced and distributed accordingly. I know this takes place with some electronic components.

GoHuk

Don't forget also, that the profits on some products can be insane, when sold through a shop in the West.

Consider a pair of Ray-Ban shades, for example. I guess they cost maybe $1 to produce... They will then pass through several hands, official distributors etc, until they are sold for maybe $200 in Europe or the US. The profits go towards marketing, floor space, staff, etc.

It may be perfectly possible to distribute the same item in a poorer market for, say, $20, and still make a profit there.

It may well be the exact same thing from the same factory.

Yet another possibility is, finished products may be sorted into several quality categories ("buckets"), then priced and distributed accordingly. I know this takes place with some electronic components.

True enough.  Don't forget overruns, either sanctioned or 'accidental' which find their way onto local markets.