Sign in to follow this  
Davaoeno

Using correct grammar and correct spelling on Linc

JamesMusslewhite

Well I am only going to spellcheck so much and being a naturally gifted inept speller and really post from a busy schedule, so there is a high probability of grammar and punctuation mistakes contained in my rantings so some folks will just have to learn to deal with disappointments.    

• Like 1

meylou

1938017_10151894818420443_1787632499_n.j

• Like 5

Topper

Gee, i ran my OP thru Grammarly.com and got the following report :

Grammarly found no writing issues in your text.

Score: 100 of 100(incredible]

grammar.pngGrammar  
  • Use of articles
  • Incorrect use of numbers
  • Incorrect use of prepositions
spellcheck.pngContextual Spelling Check  
  • Spelling
  • Ignored words
  • Commonly confused words
punctuation.pngPunctuation  
  • Punctuation within a sentence
  • Closing punctuation
  • Formal punctuation
wordchoice.pngStyle and Word Choice  
  • Writing style
  • Vocabulary use
plagiarism.pngPlagiarism  
  • Plagiarism checking is turned off. To get information on plagiarism, 

re-run the report with plagiarism detection turned on.

damn it feels good to be me !!  :evan:

Let's hear it for "THE MAN"   :clapping:  :wave:  :thumbsup:        :censor:   (there's one in every crowd.)

Paul

Dave encouraged Ian with the link to that stupid websites. Now, we will NEVER hear the end of it. Gee, thanks, Dave!

Personally, I do my best with grammar. However, I do not always read what I wrote out loud, prior to posting it. If I were to do so, I would realize more mistakes than just by reading it in my mind. I do make sure spell check is enabled. But, I make very few spelling errors without spell check. 

thebob

Gee, i ran my OP thru Grammarly.com and got the following report :      

Ha! Dream on.

• Like 1

Scruffydog

People come to the Philippines and to Cebu and to Linc  from all over the world.   Many of them speak several languages, but English is not their first language.  And sometimes people from countries whose first language is not English  use grammar that is not perfect,  or they mispell   misspel  words .

It irks me to see people being put down because their English is not perfect .  Why should only those whose grammar or spelling is perfect be allowed to post here without being ridiculed ?

I like to hear comments from people who come from a different culture or background than mine .  Such comments help to keep me from becoming too myopic . And I dont care if their grammar is grating  to those who do know the correct usage

Come on guys - give those from Europe and Asia  and Australia and the southern US states a bit of consideration  in how they post . 

I am from the deep old South. I don't type well or write well. My cultural influence are Old southern dialects from at least two races,and a lot of ain'ts taints, gits, dat dare's and etc from a collection of rural persons. I also have a bit of ADA and get ahead of my self easily.

I was reading on a college level in the third grade, and can speak eloquently or lapse into a thick southern dialect depending on my surroundings. 

Regardless I am retired at 52 and have been very successful in life. So if you want to flame me for a typo or using the occasional ain't, please go ahead. I have found in life that secure people don't feel the need to point out faults in others. on a regular basis. That is a truism without doubt. So INMHO the flame says more about the flamer than the flamee. 

Edited by Scruffydog
  • Like 6

Captainmike

I am from the deep old South. I don't type well or write well. My cultural influence are Old southern dialects from at least two races,and a lot of ain'ts taints, gits, dat dare's and etc from a collection of rural persons. I also have a bit of ADA and get ahead of my self easily.

I was reading on a college level in the third grade, and can speak eloquently or lapse into a thick southern dialect depending on my surroundings. 

Regardless I am retired at 52 and have been very successful in life. So if you want to flame me for a typo or using the occasional ain't, please go ahead. I have found in life that secure people don't feel the need to point out faults in others. on a regular basis. That is a truism without doubt. So INMHO the flame says more about the flamer than the flamee. 

so...  like I always tell people.....  I'm a pretty happy guy..."I'm 56 but I'm reading at a 58 year old level... so I've got that going for me..."  You know "I'd be a lot older but I was born at a very young age."  :cool:  

On a more serious note.  I'm a member of MENSA and it always seems that the people with the least to add to the conversation are the most concerned with how the grammar and spelling are handled. So to all you "Grammar Nazis" out there; Leave me and my "cracker" friend alone!  :evan:

• Like 4

kaloy

Ebonics anyone? Bro

Alan S

I used Grammarly dot com to analyze your post.  It found 6 critical writing issues in your text.  You scored 40 out of a possible 100 points with the verdict that the post is weak and needs revision.  Here are the salient points:

attachicon.gifSalient Points.jpg

:bobward:  :ROFLMAO:

For the last years at work, I made my living writing reports, many highly technical ones.

For those I took great care to ensure there were few (if any) mistakes. (NB, My Gates products dont give a true result.)

Now, I only write on forums, which are far less important.

Hence I really dont care what some website says, the post was intended to convey information, which is all that matters.

• Like 2

Jess Bartone

So Davo's a plagiarist. :cool:

English was one of my best subjects at school, and I find it very difficult to write anything which falls outside the rules. This shows how effective my teachers were, especially Miss Lucas in grade six. I was already genuinely interested in english, but I found that the more interest I showed, the more time she spent at my desk leaning over me, wafting her wonderful aroma, her hair brushing my face while I copped little glimpses down her blouse, as she explained how to arouse the reader's interest with better sentence construction (Miss Lucas knew a lot about arousal I think). With such encouragement in my last year of primary school, how on earth could I not be but an A student throughout secondary school? In hindsight, Miss Lucas was probably the first woman to make me aware that my loins were for other than micturating.

• Like 2

Cipro

As long as the meaning is clear then I don't see problem. Giving people a hard time over their spelling or grammar is usually an indication that an argument is being lost.

Unless it's a native speaker who consistently uses there for their or similar, in which case it's a sign of stupidity. 

Cipro

So Davo's a plagiarist. :cool:

English was one of my best subjects at school, and I find it very difficult to write anything which falls outside the rules. This shows how effective my teachers were, especially Miss Lucas in grade six. I was already genuinely interested in english, but I found that the more interest I showed, the more time she spent at my desk leaning over me, wafting her wonderful aroma, her hair brushing my face while I copped little glimpses down her blouse, as she explained how to arouse the reader's interest with better sentence construction (Miss Lucas knew a lot about arousal I think). With such encouragement in my last year of primary school, how on earth could I not be but an A student throughout secondary school? In hindsight, Miss Lucas was probably the first woman to make me aware that my loins were for other than micturating.

It wasn't my favorite subject, but shouldn't English be capitalized? Or no? Genuinely unsure here and looking to learn. 

Jess Bartone

It wasn't my favorite subject, but shouldn't English be capitalized? Or no? Genuinely unsure here and looking to learn. 

You're right, but I usually only capitalise it for an English person.

• Like 1

old biker

I would have thought draught and draft would cause more confusion.

i only get confused when i get to about 10 draught beers and by then it's a bit hard to focus while laying on the floor under the bar let alone trying to say "gibe me anuder draught beer " sounding like i'm trying to talk in braille or swahili.

Edited by old biker
  • Like 2

old biker

Unless it's a native speaker who consistently uses there for their or similar, in which case it's a sign of stupidity. 

the only native english speakers are born and breed englishmen who talk with a plum in mouth the rest of us poor souls do the best we can... that also depending on the enviroment we are raised in

• Like 1