Sign in to follow this  
Davaoeno

Using correct grammar and correct spelling on Linc

Davaoeno

Europeans. A contraction apostrophe, rather than a possessive apostrophe. Perfect punctuation, KID :thumbsup:

An apostrophe for a contraction of Europeans ?  I think not .  Now if you had taken the safe route and called it a possessive  apostrophe  ie what will happen to the Euro's future - then I think you would have been safe .

Or not ?

philuk

I find the only time someone is slammed for bad spelling, is when two members are having a bit of an argument,

and the bad speller is getting the better of some penis head, Grammer and spelling does not realy come into it if you can get your point accross.

• Like 2

InternetTough

As long as the meaning is clear then I don't see problem. Giving people a hard time over their spelling or grammar is usually an indication that an argument is being lost.

...I don't see A problem.

Edited by InternetTough

Davaoeno

...I don't see A problem.

small a please ! 

A_Simple_Man

I doubt if many get confused between color and colour. There will be more confusion caused by things such as bucket and pail.

I would have thought draught and draft would cause more confusion.

Davaoeno

I would have thought draught and draft would cause more confusion.

a horse by any other name ! 

• Like 1

InternetTough

small a please ! 

a

• Like 1

Fergie

Who cares about the spelling! my beef is when the comments r incoherent!

• Like 2

GoHuk

An apostrophe for a contraction of Europeans ?  I think not .  Now if you had taken the safe route and called it a possessive  apostrophe  ie what will happen to the Euro's future - then I think you would have been safe .

Or not ?

Really Ian, where's the verb in your first sentence?  I'm also surprised you omitted the full stops in the abbreviation of id est.  (For those living west of the Atlantic Ocean please substitute "periods" for the phrase "full stops" in the preceding sentence.)

English does use the device of an apostrophe to indicate one or more missing letters so, although unusual, "Euro's" can only mean "Europeans" in its context since there is no possessed noun.  As you will note the missing letters spell "pean" which is an alternative spelling of "paean."  Being an educated person you already know this means a written, spoken, or musical expression of enthusiastic praise or rapturous joy.  So all the writer has done is to take all the fun out of the Europeans! 

:tease:

• Like 5

Paul

Come on guys - give those from Europe and Asia  and Australia and the southern US states a bit of consideration  in how they post . 

AND the southern states, Ian? 

• Like 1

burnttoast

What always trips me up about spelling and grammar nazis is if the guy is on the internet correcting someone then he obviously 100% understood what was being said so it doesn't really matter how it was spelled right?  

Edited by burnttoast
  • Like 5

thebob

Or not ?

Not.

Irenicus

I thoroughly enjoy when someone starts a post on how stupid/ignorant/uneducated Filipinos are and his OP contains a crapload of spelling and grammar errors.

Good stuff, that.

• Like 6

Davaoeno

Really Ian, where's the verb in your first sentence? 

you have no doubt heard of the new math ? well in the new verb usage the verb is contained in the question mark ! 

• Like 1

mikewright

Really Ian, where's the verb in your first sentence?  I'm also surprised you omitted the full stops in the abbreviation of id est.  (For those living west of the Atlantic Ocean please substitute "periods" for the phrase "full stops" in the preceding sentence.)

English does use the device of an apostrophe to indicate one or more missing letters so, although unusual, "Euro's" can only mean "Europeans" in its context since there is no possessed noun.  As you will note the missing letters spell "pean" which is an alternative spelling of "paean."  Being an educated person you already know this means a written, spoken, or musical expression of enthusiastic praise or rapturous joy.  So all the writer has done is to take all the fun out of the Europeans! 

:tease:

Thank you GoHuk. You explained it so much better than me I.