shadow

The whole JS motor would fit in a B-box--- but then again so would an outboard if it was taken apart--- used outboards are cheap here in the states-- my cousin picked up a couple 10hp for $25 a piece last summer--- I bought a 14 ft v--- with trailer and 10 hp Evenrude for for $250

I've been looking on ebay at outboards, they seem to start at $500 or so for an ancient one that may or may not run. I would certainly be willing to buy one and have it dismantled and shipped over if the price was right, but a little difficult for me to do personally from here.

Have you got a mast and any sails?

Nope, have centerboard but nothing else not seen in pic.

I've been looking on ebay at outboards

Craigslist.org

classifiedadsnationwide.com will allow you to search craislist nation wide with 1 search

Of course you will need a friend for the buy-dismantle and shipping

Edited by KID
shadow

This looks pretty close

http://www.ghboats.com/boats/14-to-17-feet/17-jersey-skiff/

You'd really only need a 4-6 hp Outboard, at most.     

Is the centerboard working and intact?  No tiller and rudder survived?        

That's it! And correct again, the centerboard is working and intact, but no tiller or rudder.

contraman

Looks like a great project or should I rephrase that and say

Looks like a great challenge

Scottiev

Craigslist.org

classifiedadsnationwide.com will allow you to search craislist nation wide with 1 search

Kid thank you .. I have been wishing for something like this link..

• Like 1
Bill H

Tillers and rudder easy to fabricate, but the hardware is a bitch to find.  You'll end up bringing it in from the States or Europe or having a local welder make it for you.  Of course finding 316 stainless is no easy task either.  They will tell you it's all the same but that is very untrue.  There is a big difference between 304 stainless and 316.  304 will rust, 316 will not. 

You could also fabricate a mast easy enough.  An oblong cross section will be stronger than a round one.

shadow

Tillers and rudder easy to fabricate, but the hardware is a bitch to find.  You'll end up bringing it in from the States or Europe or having a local welder make it for you.  Of course finding 316 stainless is no easy task either.  They will tell you it's all the same but that is very untrue.  There is a big difference between 304 stainless and 316.  304 will rust, 316 will not. 

You could also fabricate a mast easy enough.  An oblong cross section will be stronger than a round one.

Considering I spent the first two thirds of my life around boats and rebuilding/repairing the same, and the half of the last ten years supporting myself in the Philippines in a welding/repair/fabrication shop, this boat is child's play, hardware or no hardware.

• Like 1
Jeepney

There are plenty of rocks, But i doubt one could hit them hard enough to break open 8 airtight compartments from stem to stern and sink a WOODEN boat!

Certainly looks a nice project, and hope you will have many nice hours relaxing on it after the work, and costs, you are going to put into it!

I do see a number of compartments, as you call them airtight, maybe after fixing the boat up they will be like airtight.

Do never under estimate the brute force of nature, with a bit of a swell, after hitting rocks, I have seen quite a few boats in pieces, including one of my own boats. (Not locally here)

A few things to bear in mind are safety aspects for later, like a second emergency anchor is a very handy thing to have.

Avoid making the boat to heavy with putting unnecessary stuff in it. 

Go out for sailing, fishing, swimming diving whatever, have a drink later on the shore.

If possible, think about a small homegoer second outboard, I do not know if they have them here, but a twostroke seagull orso would be ideal for that type of boat.

Good luck!

• Like 1
shadow

I do see a number of compartments, as you call them airtight, maybe after fixing the boat up they will be like airtight.

Do never under estimate the brute force of nature, with a bit of a swell, after hitting rocks, I have seen quite a few boats in pieces, including one of my own boats. (Not locally here)

A few things to bear in mind are safety aspects for later, like a second emergency anchor is a very handy thing to have.

Avoid making the boat to heavy with putting unnecessary stuff in it. 

Go out for sailing, fishing, swimming diving whatever, have a drink later on the shore.

If possible, think about a small homegoer second outboard, I do not know if they have them here, but a twostroke seagull orso would be ideal for that type of boat.

Good luck!

The only compartments that are not airtight are the center and the compartment where the mast mounted. The rest are all perfect, and need only the deck plates, which I'm sure if the builder does not have them he can tell me where to get them. Most of my boating experience was gained off the coast of Oregon, which is known for adverse conditions. Although sailboats are not my forte, I am no beginner to boats and/or boat ownership, boat repairs, or boating in adverse conditions. Thanks for the tips, this is going to be a fun project.

• Like 2