Sign in to follow this  
cebubird

5000 Americans in Cebu?

cebubird

Reading a report about meeting at Cebu Consulate with Ambassador and it was said that of the 300,000+ Americans, 5000 are in Cebu.

Wonder if he meant maybe 5000, in central/southern Philippines. I don't live in the city, but 5000 seems really high. Not even that many around Clark/Angeles area from all the estimates I have seen.

Anybody else have thoughts/estimates

Not trying to start an argument, just curious.

Paul

Some years back, I was informed that there were about 10,000 Americans living in and around the Angeles area. Whether that is true or not, I have no idea. At that time, they certainly catered to western meals. So, the population couldn't have been something to sneeze at. 

I doubt there would be 5,000 in and around Cebu. Maybe so, but that figure seems high to me.

ThomsonJr

I think there might be many Fil-Am's included in those numbers, maybe? Because there are quite a few Fil-Am's in the world.

Half Baked

We need an ACCURATE count. Ok... I'll start... 1. :hi:

• Like 2

LastManStanding

5000 is probably pretty accurate.  There are just so many here just in Lapu 2x.  

A_Simple_Man

Easy enough to count them.  Throw a free party but US passport must be shown and then count them at the door.

:cool:

SkyMan

I think there might be many Fil-Am's included in those numbers, maybe? Because there are quite a few Fil-Am's in the world.

That's true.  Quite a few pinoy running around with US passports that would otherwise not be noticed as Americans.  Then there are a lot of us that don't typically cruise the malls, bars, etc.

ThomsonJr

That's true.  Quite a few pinoy running around with US passports that would otherwise not be noticed as Americans.  Then there are a lot of us that don't typically cruise the malls, bars, etc.

300,000 Americans in the Philippines seems alot to me.

Raven

300,000 Americans in the Philippines seems alot to me.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/news/press-release/56-january-2014-press-releases/372-mison-to-foreigners-avoid-rush-in-filing-annual-report

....there are about 209, 000 registered foreigners who must report in person to select BI offices in the country.

and they are not all Americanos!!

Gus

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/news/press-release/56-january-2014-press-releases/372-mison-to-foreigners-avoid-rush-in-filing-annual-report

....there are about 209, 000 registered foreigners who must report in person to select BI offices in the country.[/size]

and they are not all Americanos!![/size]

that 209,000 may not include those who do not have to annual report, like Tourist Visa, Balikbayan, Retirement, Business, etc.

smokey

those with duel passports would be counted as American

tomaw

Some years back, I was informed that there were about 10,000 Americans living in and around the Angeles area. Whether that is true or not, I have no idea. At that time, they certainly catered to western meals. So, the population couldn't have been something to sneeze at.

I doubt there would be 5,000 in and around Cebu. Maybe so, but that figure seems high to me.

Some years ago we had military bases near there and other parts of The Philippines and now we have none. That should make a big difference.

Paul

Some years ago we had military bases near there and other parts of The Philippines and now we have none. That should make a big difference.

Well, it was my understanding that, rather than going, a number of those who were at the base back then, had a choice, maybe due to being about to renew their next x years for the military. Supposedly, a number of them had the choice and chose not to, in order to stay in country.