Sign in to follow this  
Woolf

Speed limits in The Philippines

colemanlee

I frequently drive from Tacloban to Ormoc, usually about 80kph when I can, always passed by other suvs, buses etc...especially Vans Vans and other van company's like Dupree...When my partner drives (Filipino) its more like 100kph...I never understood having the balls to drive that fast with all the pedecabs, kids, trikes etc pulling out in front of you....when I come upon rice drying I try to not run over it, when he does its straight over it....conclusion is Filipino's have a lot less respect for others than most forgn.'s do....

• Like 1

sugbu777

I remember in Zambales, the farmers used to put big rocks in front of the drying rice so that you couldn't run over it.

Headshot

As far as I remember it is not possible to make a U-turn where that accident happened

see this post http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/79705-another-accident-brings-into-question-road-safety-in-srp/?p=988667

Do you see all of those white lines going across the road? They are there because there is a break in the median. It isn't for vehicles, but I've seen them use it before. I went past the accident just a minute or so after it happened (I was going from Cebu City to Talisay, and the accident was on the Talisay to Cebu City side). No emergency vehicles had arrived.

Woolf

Well I was not there

As far as I know those lines across the road are wake up noise lines

they are there going to talisay and also coming from talisay at the Kawit island bends

loy

Seems to me that it is prestigious thing to go fast here. See how fast i am going, i am better than you cause you are slow.

I live in the Province close to the national highway. These buses pass through at well over 100 KPH. also the SUVs and motor cycles.

Hy H

As far as I know those lines across the road are wake up noise lines they are there going to talisay and also coming from talisay at the Kawit island bends

Yeah and drivers get a fright when they drive over them and hit brakes for fear of their vehicle falling apart.  SRP is getting very uncomfortable to ride on these past weeks,  seem getting worst by the day.  At least new white lane markings look still good towards southern end and gives taxi drivers guidance. 

Woolf

The white lines going across the road can be seen here at center cross of the maps

coming from talisay  http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=10.267506&lon=123.878389&z=19

Going to talisay   http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=10.274175&lon=123.879524&z=19

Edited by Woolf

Pman

Seems to me the speed limit here is dictatated by the chickens, dogs, pedestrians, tricycles and school road blocks...

Hy H

Seems to me the speed limit here is dictatated by the chickens, dogs, pedestrians, tricycles and school road blocks...

Forgot to mention the coconut cart.. :twocents:

• Like 1

Monsoon

That reads somewhat similar to the basic speed law that is on the books in most states. It's the catch all for accidents in inclement weather. If you lost control, obviously you were going too fast.

Oh by the way, there are roads in Luzon where exceeding the posted speed limit is very easy. And they have radar guns. And you can't even out run them or refuse to stop because they radio ahead and wait for you at the toll booth. Been there, done that.

Headshot

The white lines going across the road can be seen here at center cross of the maps

coming from talisay  http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=10.267506&lon=123.878389&z=19

Going to talisay   http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=10.274175&lon=123.879524&z=19

I've always thought the lines on the road coming from Talisay were because of the entrance to the Lantaw Restaurant just past the rumble strip. There are a lot of vehicles exiting and entering the highway there. The same kind of rumble strips are used in many places on the national highway...both north and south of the center of Cebu City. Almost always, they are to warn you of possible cross-traffic or a crosswalk ahead.

to_dave007

when I come upon rice drying I try to not run over it, when he does its straight over it....conclusion is Filipino's have a lot less respect for others than most forgn.'s do....

Sadly, respect for others is sadly missing in so many aspects of life.

• Like 2

maximian

Like most laws in the Philippines, it will be rare that it is enforced,

You obviously dont use NLEX and SLEX highways

The speed limit of 100kmph is enforced and speed cameras used on a regular basis. I have been caught twice, fined 1,500 each time and made to suffer a 4 hour seminar. Certainly worked, as i dont break the speed limit no more.

• Like 1

Sven

.. Both were caused by drivers who made turns directly in front of oncoming traffic, not allowing the other drivers enough space to stop or otherwise avoid an accident. A cement truck turns left directly in front of an oncoming motorcycle, and a taxi makes a U-turn directly in front of an oncoming pickup truck... People just do stupid things all the time...without ever thinking of the possible consequences.

This reminds me of something I'm observing every day when driving here in Cebu, and it never ceases to amaze me: People will wander out in the road right in front of moving vehicles... and the amazing part is, many will not even bother to look in the direction of the approaching vehicle - their focus will be elsewhere, as if they have rock solid confidence that drivers will see them and stop as required.

I'm guessing, the art of paying attention to oncoming vehicles is something that has to be learned (from an early age).

cvgtpc1

You obviously dont use NLEX and SLEX highways

The speed limit of 100kmph is enforced and speed cameras used on a regular basis. I have been caught twice, fined 1,500 each time and made to suffer a 4 hour seminar. Certainly worked, as i dont break the speed limit no more.

I usually have a car drive me to AC from Manila and I know all those guys do the speed limit and always explain it's because of the strict enforcement to show they're not afraid to drive fast I guess lol