Woolf

Speed limits in The Philippines

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1964/ra_4136_1964.html

CHAPTER IV
TRAFFIC RULES

ARTICLE I
Speed Limit and Keeping to the Right

Section 35. Restriction as to speed. -

(a) Any person driving a motor vehicle on a highway shall drive the same at a careful and prudent speed, not greater nor less than is reasonable and proper, having due regard for the traffic, the width of the highway, and of any other condition then and there existing; and no person shall drive any motor vehicle upon a highway at such a speed as to endanger the life, limb and property of any person, nor at a speed greater than will permit him to bring the vehicle to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.

( B) Subject to the provisions of the preceding paragraph, the rate of speed of any motor vehicle shall not exceed the following:

post-6705-0-17832400-1393455207_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Jim Sibbick

There will not be too many places you can travel 80kph then.

Salty Dog

Buses never allowed to go over 50, that's a joke. Hell they pass on blind curves going that fast.

Topper

They forgot to mention the dogs and kids that are laying or playing around those open country roads. And don't forget the rice that is drying along the side of the road. You don't want to blow that stuff away when you zoom by on that narrow road at 80 km per hour.

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

"On open country roads... trucks and buses 50 km/h" ... I have to laugh or else I'll cry, considering all the fatal bus and truck crashes.

• Like 2

Headshot

Pinned.

Paul

There are speed limits in the Philippines? :D :D

• Like 1

D_D

And don't forget the rice that is drying along the side of the road.

I like to run drying rice over to spread it all over so everyone can share it.

• Like 1

Alan S

Like most laws in the Philippines, it will be rare that it is enforced,

cvgtpc1

Good thing they haven't considered the lost revenue stream of not enforcing them!  Surprised they haven't now that I think of it.  All those poor little brgys in the sticks would be flush.

• Like 1

Hogan1950

Hmmmmm.  I for the most part follow those guidelines in the driving I do while in Southern Leyte,.  Too many hazards on the roads to be in a hurry, and too big a price to pay if there is an incident.  In Canada though, I am fairly heavy-footed. 

Headshot

Hmmmmm.  I for the most part follow those guidelines in the driving I do while in Southern Leyte,.  Too many hazards on the roads to be in a hurry, and too big a price to pay if there is an incident.  In Canada though, I am fairly heavy-footed. 

People and things jump out in front of you all the time in the Philippines, which keeps speeds slower. Not so much in the US and Canada, which allows higher speeds. However, if something jumps out in front of you in Canada, it's probably a moose, so make sure your breaks are good.

• Like 1

riklynbor

These rules can have lots of different interpretations.

Headshot

There are speed limits in the Philippines? :D :D

More like guidelines, I think.

It is interesting that there were two accidents in the SRP in the last two days (one of them fatal), and neither was caused by speed. Both were caused by drivers who made turns directly in front of oncoming traffic, not allowing the other drivers enough space to stop or otherwise avoid an accident. A cement truck turns left directly in front of an oncoming motorcycle, and a taxi makes a U-turn directly in front of an oncoming pickup truck. There aren't any winners in those situations. You have to be aware of every possible hazard when driving here...and there are a lot more hazards here than back in the home country. People just do stupid things all the time...without ever thinking of the possible consequences.

• Like 3

Woolf

More like guidelines, I think.

It is interesting that there were two accidents in the SRP in the last two days (one of them fatal), and neither was caused by speed. Both were caused by drivers who made turns directly in front of oncoming traffic, not allowing the other drivers enough space to stop or otherwise avoid an accident. A cement truck turns left directly in front of an oncoming motorcycle, and a taxi makes a U-turn directly in front of an oncoming pickup truck. There aren't any winners in those situations. You have to be aware of every possible hazard when driving here...and there are a lot more hazards here than back in the home country. People just do stupid things all the time...without ever thinking of the possible consequences.

As far as I remember it is not possible to make a U-turn where that accident happened

see this post http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/79705-another-accident-brings-into-question-road-safety-in-srp/?p=988667