Sign in to follow this  
4thDan

When is enough ...enough?

bkkmarlowe

Donuts are cooked in oil and full of sugar. No thanks.

• Like 1

easy44

Donuts are cooked in oil and full of sugar. No thanks.

Of course they are.  They wouldn't be any good otherwise!

• Like 3

Headshot

TV commercials in the Philippines are stuck in 1950's America. While commercials in the rest of the world have evolved to what we see on TV elsewhere, the Philippines somehow got stuck in a time warp. The fat kids in the commercials is just one sign of this. Flowers and bubbles coming out of laundry and supposed surveys and scientific tests to show the superiority of products are another. Yes, they are stupid. The early techniques used in TV evolved from the age of radio and used many of the same gimmicks. I guess the marketing majors in Philippine universities are still learning their craft using surplus 1950's textbooks...long ago discarded in the West.

Commercial content is only one thing that bugs me about TV commercials here. Do you remember how back in the 1950's, the volume on your TV would go up when a commercial played? Well, they literally double the volume for commercials here. In the US, the FCC long ago banned this practice, here they think it is a really good idea. It has changed the way I watch TV. In the US, I would change the channel, and then I would set the remote down on a table. Here, I keep the remote in my hand, so I can mute the TV every time a commercial plays.

It's really too bad. There are so many really funny aspects of Philippine life, that they would never run out of material. Just last night, I was listening to the frogs in the pond by our house and realized that male Filipino frogs are henpecked by there wives. You can't really hear the wives talking, but from what the male frogs are saying, it is obvious their wives are telling them about all of their shortcomings. What are the male frogs saying? Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Do you remember the Budweiser frog commercials? There has to be a good theme for a commercial in the sounds you hear at night here. I'm sure that the geckos here could get involved too. I just hope they don't start selling insurance.

Imagine how many other everyday Philippine occurrences would make great advertising themes...if Filipino marketers could just get unstuck from 1950's thinking. A society that laughs at itself progresses. A society that refuses to be mocked from within (or without) will not progress. The things that make us laugh eventually make us think seriously about how to change the ridiculous aspects of life. However, you must forget about "face" if you are to see the humor in your own eccentricities.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

bkkmarlowe

Just last night, I was listening to the frogs in the pond by our house and realized that male Filipino frogs are henpecked by there wives. You can't really hear the wives talking, but from what the male frogs are saying, it is obvious their wives are telling them about all of their shortcomings.

Hmmm ... so that's what the frogs are saying eh? Can I have some of that weed you are smoking? LOL  :thumbs_up: 

That Masked Man

TV commercials in the Philippines are stuck in 1950's America. While commercials in the rest of the world have evolved to what we see on TV elsewhere, the Philippines somehow got stuck in a time warp.

You say that as if it were a BAD thing. I can't speak for anyone else but to me the commercials in the Philippines, like so much else are a relic of a Golden Age that has been lost in America and that I for one miss very badly. Nearly everything there reminds me of a better time in America. Depending on what it is it could be anywhere from the 50s to the 80s. Cebu 2014 is a whole lot like Florida 1980 complete with growing pains. I don't understand why the marketing people gave up on the much nicer commercials of the 50s to go to the crap that is produced these days anyway. It certainly doesn't make ME want to purchase their products! I could say much the same about the programming content as well.

Rocketman

Commercial content is only one thing that bugs me about TV commercials here. Do you remember how back in the 1950's, the volume on your TV would go up when a commercial played? Well, they literally double the volume for commercials here. In the US, the FCC long ago banned this practice, here they think it is a really good idea. It has changed the way I watch TV. In the US, I would change the channel, and then I would set the remote down on a table. Here, I keep the remote in my hand, so I can mute the TV every time a commercial plays.

I just HATE this and can't for the life of me, understand why it's accepted here.  I know most Filipinos aren't bothered by noise, but come on!  It's SO loud!

roadking

I remember that SKY Sat TV in the UK were doing this , Until they were taken to court & ordered to  stop this practise. I notice that Cignal don't do it here amazingly enough ! :thumbsup: 

hyaku

I'm sure a good attorney could make a fortune here suing companies that make false claims for skin whitening creams on TV. What a load of BS.