Sign in to follow this  
4thDan

When is enough ...enough?

4thDan

Was watching TV last night, yeah the local cable company decided to bless us with service....and during one of the shows a commercial came on.  One that kind of upset me when i first saw it and subsequently has made me more upset the more i think about it.

The commercial is for Dunkin Donuts here in the Phils...and has a pudgy man with a box of "Bavarians" giving a couple of the donuts to his (per the commercial) daughter.  The daughter can only be described as maybe 8 years old and MORBIDLY OBESE.  And yet Dunkin Donuts thinks it is a good commercial to show this child who is destined to high blood pressure, heart failure and a number of other bodily malfunctions to do over consumption, stuffing her face with their product.  

Now, don't get me wrong I love donuts...and Bavarians (not the chocolate ones thank you) are one of my most fav things to treat myself with.  But because of all the wrong that this singular commercial does...i have resolved not to go into a DD again.  

Has anyone else seen this commercial and had this take on it??  Or is there another commercial that gets to you?

ellenbrook2001

well in the PHILIPPINE all commercial are a nono?they do not have a consumer affair to control the content of it so or care  no one

• Like 1

Enuff

I searched for it online and couldn't find it but found this one from 2008............... kid is a little pudgy, definitely not typical Filipino.

http://youtu.be/_Rl62x0iycs

SkyMan

glad to see fat people getting tv jobs

Yes and no. I see a fair number of obese kids on ads and it's usually with an underlying theme that if you're rich enough, if you're someone, then you should bloat your kids so you can show off your wealth through them. Disgusting on multiple levels. I also disagree with the western version of the 80 pound supermodels Can't we just have healthy people in ads? I agree with Dan that a commercial that shows an unhealthy kid being given an unhealthy product in a good light is poor form.
  • Like 3

davewe

All advertisers target their core market. In the US about 100 years ago when they had TV ads for cigarettes - who did they target? Yep - chain smoking cowboys. The only difference now is that in the West you can't get away with showing DD's actual customers. In a sick way I sort of admire the fact that in PI they are showing their true customers. Wish they would do a Walmart ad - that would be awesome!

BTW, I love DDs. Sorry to see them gradually disappear where I live.

Humboldt

Yes , I wish they would show real life  customer's ,,,, I have been hanging out at Wendy's  Hamburger's

waiting on that tall tan leggy girl wearing bikini with the sauce running down the side of her mouth ..

for 2 yrs now , no luck ,, all I see is obese teenager's  

It is a cultural mind set for sure .... 

Salty Dog

Actually that little girl is one of the hotest new stars in the Philippines. She won some major talent contest. Her movie with Kris Aquuno and her trophy child was the number one movie recently. The little girl already has her own TV show.

She is a natural comedian.

Sent from Note 3

• Like 1

Baywak

I searched for it online and couldn't find it but found this one from 2008............... kid is a little pudgy, definitely not typical Filipino.

http://youtu.be/_Rl62x0iycs

Pudgy filippino kids is now becoming common as well as there parents.

Rocketman

I had the same feeling when I watched the Virginia hotdog commercial that comes on way too often and usually interrupts another commercial.  Shows a chubby boy in the pool and a chubby girl trying to get his attention.  Neither is really fat, but fat enough that, to me, it's not a good example for a commercial.  I was told the same thing - that being chubby is viewed as coming from a successful family.  Obviously my western head doesn't agree, but it's nice to hear a reason for why they do what they do here.

• Like 2

jigsy

My Little Bossings was the movie, if true.

4thDan

I need to make a correction ...the commerical is for Mister Donuts...not Dunkin....

Skywalker

Personally when I see an obese kid, and it's happening more often, I want to beat the parents with an iron bar.

I mean seriously, isn't this child abuse in the same way that malnourished children are made to suffer?

Here's the deal, fat kids almost always grow into fat adults.  You don't often see old fat people, the heart can't take it.  Fat adults make a choice, but stupid parents stuffing their kids with food on demand - as bad as smoking in cars.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 4

shadow

Now I'm hungry, where's the donut truck?

• Like 1

That Masked Man

That's one of the things I love about the Philippines. The Health Nazis that have taken over the US haven't gotten a hold on them yet.