Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

It Could Happen to Anyone - Are You Prepared?

Salty Dog

That seems rather ambiguous as there is also an out patient clinic on Guam. In my mind the VA is the VA is the VA and should provide care to any eligible any time at any of their locations. I doubt they would refuse care to a Filipino vet in the US because the facility was primarily set up for US vets.

I also found this which the way I read it says if you're registered with the OPC in Manila and eligible you can get treated. But maybe I'm interpreting wrong. Read this and give me your thoughts.

The VA Outpatient Clinic in the Philippines is the only VA healthcare facility located in a foreign country and located on US Embassy property.  Only Veterans who have a service connected disability of at least zero percent and registered with VA OPC are eligible for care and services.  VHA Directive 2012-019 and 38CFR17.35, provide the authority for delivery of certain outpatient health care services to U.S. Veterans residing or visiting in the Philippines.  Service connected U.S. Veterans who receive care through the OPC may be treated for their non-service connected disabilities within the available scope of services and resources of the OPC.   Inpatient and Non VA Care (NVC) outpatient care is limited to treatment of service-connected conditions and is provided through NVC arrangements with designated private health care providers in the community.  All costs associated with treatment from an NVC provider or medical facility for non-service connected treatment is the responsibility of the Veteran.

Guam is a US Territory. There are also military bases there, so any retired service member can go to one of these bases regardless of their VA status.

I am registered with the VA and can use many OPCs in the USA. There was a small one in my home town that also limited their care to Vets with service connected disabilities. However I could go to the Orlando VA Medical Center where I could receive care. The closest VA Hospitals were in Tampa or Gainesville .

I have to pay to use the VA though because I'm not service connected. I could also get my prescription drugs through the VA, but they cost twice as much as through TRICARE. If I got them from a military pharmacy, they would be free.

Regardless of if we think it's fair or not, the rules are different here.

The catch as I see it above is that you have to be service connected for something even if it is zero percent before you can be registered at the Manila OPC.

As for non-service connected care which is limited to those who also have a service connected disability, it says within the available scope of service and resources. Which means they can decide.

All this is irrelevant to those of us retired Veterans who don't have a service connected disability and have to depend on TRICARE.

ex231

Guam is a US Territory. There are also military bases there, so any retired service member can go to one of these bases regardless of their VA status.

Yes but your post above said "The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Manila Regional Office and Outpatient Clinic (VA) is the only VA office located outside the United States or its territories."  The VA seems to contradict themselves. Anyway, not my real concern here. I understand your issues with retired vet, tri care, etc and I agree it sucks for you guys. I have a service connected disablity so I'm in a different boat. What confuses me is that I have read on one VA website Manila will only treat direct service connected issues yet what I posted above  sounds like they will see you for anything if you are service connected .. within their scope and ability which to me means  whatever they are equipped for. So what my VA nurse in Cal said was if I go there for something they can't treat they would ship me off to a place that could, not just tell me too bad, go away. But who knows? Nothing surprises me here. I guess the best way would be for me to contact the VA and see how many different answers I can get lol

Bill H

If you are not service related for a specific condition they will not give you the time of day at the Manila Clinic, much less treat you.  Any other information you may have heard is wrong.  This is the only VA facility to follow this rule that I am aware of, but they are becoming increasingly rigid about it.  When I first came here in 2010 I could get an appointment with the VA doc and he would treat whatever needed treating, now it's almost impossible to even get an appointment and even getting medications has become increasingly difficult.  One more reason why it's more fun in the PH! 

ex231

Bill H I have heard that many times and I believe you. However I'm still going to contact VA in the US asking about Manila and have them tell me no. Maybe the OPC in Manila is making up their own rules, who knows? I know I'm just hoping and wishing though. So I guess if I have anything serious it's off I go to Guam. Checked the price and it's about $425 round trip from Manila.

Humboldt

yes I would also head to Guam or San Francisco , Ca, VA clinic .. but from what I read about his medical emergency , time was not on this side   

if I was in salty dogs shoe's, I would be dead , here in Philippines , cuz I can't pull out that amount of money for treatment here . ...

I was wondering if a vet needs to pre-register Guam ? should be the same as the states if your in the system already ?