A legal warning for forum posters

• Admin (Retired)
broden

So, writing in a forum, "Marcos was a bad president" is actually a jailable offence, technically at least. While that's hyperbole it shows how strict the law is.

if they come to get you tell them, or have your lawyer tell them.. you meant bad good

dig

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Wrye83

• Kim_

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You shouldn't blacken the reputation of dead software.   I wonder if you could just phrase everything as a question and skip all this libel nonsense.   "Paul was seen walking out of Mango Square

It will take a lot of resources to properly enforce this law. What a top priority for  country who has so many hungry children running around in the streets! 

We have made this point before, but it is good to bring it up again. Paul can attest that this site is monitored at times by some government officials so don't get mad at us when we deem it necessary

Does this apply to Internet/forum names as well? If someone blackened my LinC user name (if it didn't happen to actually be my name) could I get them on this law? I think this law leaves too much up for interpretation.

If I quoted someone saying something that blackened their own image and simple posted a "lol" after it could I be hit up? I would still be hurting their image just by reposting it and not saying anything about the quote.

It seems like the only person who can talk in a negative light about you is.....yourself.......wait, could I bring a lawsuit against myself if I tarnished my own name?

Where the feck does it stop?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So, under this law if a poster posts about a negative experience he had with a local company, even if all the poster posts is true, he is still liable under this law and could even go to jail?  Do I have this right?

Thats about right.

Freedom of speach doesnt come into it!

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

So, under this law if a poster posts about a negative experience he had with a local company, even if all the poster posts is true, he is still liable under this law and could even go to jail?  Do I have this right?

The Philippine legal system is not too bothered about the truth. 

Davaoeno

The Philippine legal system is not too bothered about the truth. 

I filed a large estafa case against someone here. The persons attorney - who is very well known and very respected - filed a defense absolutely full of lies about me, and told many lies to the court. I was really amazed, because what they said would have caused them to be disbarred in  Canada .  It turns out that that attorney and his wife live right next door to my new gf, and I have spent several evenings with him.  He told me that that is the way things are done here, and that the judge who looked at that case never grants estafa cases for the person bringing the case !! hehe   

In Canada- and i think in most of the west- a lawyer is an officer of the court and has an obligation to always tell the court the truth .  Such does not seem to be the case here

Another question, if the forum is located on a server outside of the Philippines does this law still apply? Really?

Another question, if the forum is located on a server outside of the Philippines does this law still apply? Really?

First, they would have to have proof of who you are. I am one of not-so-many people on this forum, whom people actually can put a face to. 

Secondly, they would have to have my assistance in order to gather further information on the member in question - not gonna happen.

Thirdly, I'm not sure about the answer to your question. I know that, personally (if I knew that I never wanted to return to the Philippines), I could slander pretty much whomever I wanted. This is regardless of where the site is hosted.

Think Facebook, here. I doubt very seriously, they have any servers in the Philippines. However, if they have proven who people were online, I imagine they would be able to press charges against those persons. (People, unfortunately, do exist who say whatever (negative) comments they wish about others in the Philippines, then wonder why they are in "hot water".)

I honestly do not recall specific cases where this has been an actual issue to come up. But, knowing that it can would be enough for me to hold my tongue. Trust me, there is at least one official that, if he and I were in the US together, at the same time, I would beat his ass like it has never been beaten in his life. He is a (much lower) Philippine government official - as far as I know, today. 

First, they would have to have proof of who you are. I am one of not-so-many people on this forum, whom people actually can put a face to. 

Secondly, they would have to have my assistance in order to gather further information on the member in question - not gonna happen.

Thirdly, I'm not sure about the answer to your question. I know that, personally (if I knew that I never wanted to return to the Philippines), I could slander pretty much whomever I wanted. This is regardless of where the site is hosted.

Think Facebook, here. I doubt very seriously, they have any servers in the Philippines. However, if they have proven who people were online, I imagine they would be able to press charges against those persons. (People, unfortunately, do exist who say whatever (negative) comments they wish about others in the Philippines, then wonder why they are in "hot water".)

I honestly do not recall specific cases where this has been an actual issue to come up. But, knowing that it can would be enough for me to hold my tongue. Trust me, there is at least one official that, if he and I were in the US together, at the same time, I would beat his ass like it has never been beaten in his life. He is a (much lower) Philippine government official - as far as I know, today. 

I wrote quite an response to be me, then I reread your above reply and read the bold part again.... that answered what I was going to ask...

Anyway, much of those servers are located in northern Sweden..... Swedish FRA (similar to NSA) are recording everything.

I wrote quite an response to be me, then I reread your above reply and read the bold part again.... that answered what I was going to ask...

Anyway, much of those servers are located in northern Sweden..... Swedish FRA (similar to NSA) are recording everything.

I tell ya, as people around the globe, we had better keep a hand on our governments, or they will keep a hand on us. 

The main reason I am stopping with Facebook in the next month (waiting still, for some old friends to contact me), is too much bullshit and drama. Too many people posting every feckin' detail of their lives on there. I assure you, it wouldn't be difficult for the Philippine government to find out who said what, and about whom, there. 

Not that they would get anything out of me, except my bills. 

The question is---- Will Paul be filing a case against certain expat who slander him and LINC on his website ?

The question is---- Will Paul be filing a case against certain expat who slander him and LINC on his website ?

Is this regarding Philippine jurisdiction? Or, are you talking about Evan? I don't give him the time of day man. I do not know of another "expat" who slanders me on his site. If you do, please let me know. 

Edited by Paul

First, they would have to have proof of who you are. I am one of not-so-many people on this forum, whom people actually can put a face to.    Secondly, they would have to have my assistance in order to gather further information on the member in question - not gonna happen.  

Easy, just report all questions from the authorities, as the person posting the questionable statements was done by  Evan ... :yahoo:  :yahoo:

• Like 2

Is this regarding Philippine jurisdiction? Or, are you talking about Evan? I don't give him the time of day man. I do not know of another "expat" who slanders me on his site. If you do, please let me know. 

yep-- that's who I am talking about--- wont these laws now force him to either shut up or pay up ?

Will Paul be filing a case against certain expat who slander him and LINC on his website ?

I don't have a website, so I just slander Paul here on his website... I don't think he minds that much...at least not as much as a normal pervert... :yahoo:

• Like 2

yep-- that's who I am talking about--- wont these laws now force him to either shut up or pay up ?

I'm not in the Philippines.

He's not in the Philippines, nor can he ever return to the Philippines. 

He only has one thing to worry about. That is me contracting a deadly disease and having enough time to see him before I die. 

So, no. This would not be under Philippine jurisdiction. 

• Like 2