University of Cebu

The boss is trying to graduate from UCLM in April - I say trying, because she has passed all the subjects, but is mow trying to pass the requirements (oh how I hate that term now)

The latest source of my high blood pressure in a piece of paper called a Form 137 - her high school transcript.

They decided to tell her about a month ago, that they didn't have it, they didn't tell her when she enrolled this semester, or last semester, or the one before that.

But then, she couldn't get a request form from them, until they had checked her grades.

So they then wait another few weeks and give her the request form on 10th, application deadline is 20th. All good, except she is from Davao - so she has to send the request form to her sister, who goes to her school, where the person who does 137s is away for a week, then luckily she knows a teacher and gets it and LBCs it back and it arrives today, about 3pm

The boss legs it (well, tricycles it) for school and presents her Form 137, in all it;s glory - to be told "we can't accept that" - apparently in the purpose section - they had written "for University of Cebu" instead of "University of Cebu - Lapu Lapu and Mandaue"

My replay to that was are you farkin serious?

Honestly this is only the latest in a long line of cockups by the university - I wish it had fallen down during the earthquake.

I am convinced now I couldn't live in the Philippines, i would shoot someone.

I will spend the next month until her graduation crafting a long diatribe which i will send to Chancellor Candice - after the boss has graduated and got all the required bits of paper.

UCLM can eat a bowl of dicks

• Like 2

Sadly everything is like that in the Philippines.

I am currently doing a Master Degree by distance learning with London Met University and the process of enrolment and submitting the coursework/doing the exams is fairly straightforward and the University are actually keen to make the administrative aspects easy.

My wife however is trying to do her physiotherapy license exam so that she can convert it to an Australian one (she already has the BSc Physical Therapy) and its made so difficult for her because she is out of the country and they have so many ridiculous requirements, all for some mickey mouse qualification. All she wants is all the review material and to fly back for the exam, but that seems an impossible feat. I just spent a grand on her books from Amazon and they even complained that she is using the up to date edition and should have been using the older edition that they have....

Edited by Ricky
CebuKano

My wife is an alum of UCLM and never had any problems like the ones you mention. But she is always one to stay on top of things and head off any potential problems. I would suggest that you become inventive at this point as it seems to be a "paperwork drill" at this point. Is her tuition fully paid up in advance? Everything? This may seem like a silly question but it's not. The accounting office has the most control over who may/may not graduate on time.

I wish you luck.

But she is always one to stay on top of things and head off any potential problems. I would suggest that you become inventive at this point as it seems to be a "paperwork drill" at this point. Is her tuition fully paid up in advance? Everything? This may seem like a silly question but it's not. The accounting office has the most control over who may/may not graduate on time.

Everything is paid up luckily - I make sure she pays everything straight up.

Mexiwi, i sure can understand your frustration. I have encountered similar instances many times in the past, and not just in the Philippines. I put these into a single pile of memories I call....Tyrants Rule. Petty tyrants rule absolutely. I have far less trouble with administrators or others removed from the day to day processes. It is the clerks that make life miserable. It has lead me to try hard to anticipate just what sort of red tape will be expected. I play along as much as I can trying to show my "understanding" of the red tape. Very rarely does the red tape matter. However, these clerks may even want to be liberal in their judgement but get overruled by asshole bosses. If you can get to know some other students and learn from their experiences, it may help. My daughter had to go through similar experiences just to get a grade report to enroll for the next year. The school she attended and would attend the following year had a "clearance" process which had to be completed before she could get the report and apply for the next year. This meant wandering around a rather huge campus over several days chasing down all sorts of people, around 20, to sign off. Some didn't want to and were students themselves. It got really frustrating. That was then. Now we anticipate this and begin the process sooner and suck up to the assholes who will be signing. Good luck.

sugbu777

The boss is trying to graduate from UCLM in April - I say trying, because she has passed all the subjects, but is mow trying to pass the requirements (oh how I hate that term now)

The latest source of my high blood pressure in a piece of paper called a Form 137 - her high school transcript.

They decided to tell her about a month ago, that they didn't have it, they didn't tell her when she enrolled this semester, or last semester, or the one before that.

But then, she couldn't get a request form from them, until they had checked her grades.

So they then wait another few weeks and give her the request form on 10th, application deadline is 20th. All good, except she is from Davao - so she has to send the request form to her sister, who goes to her school, where the person who does 137s is away for a week, then luckily she knows a teacher and gets it and LBCs it back and it arrives today, about 3pm

The boss legs it (well, tricycles it) for school and presents her Form 137, in all it;s glory - to be told "we can't accept that" - apparently in the purpose section - they had written "for University of Cebu" instead of "University of Cebu - Lapu Lapu and Mandaue"

My replay to that was are you farkin serious?

Honestly this is only the latest in a long line of cockups by the university - I wish it had fallen down during the earthquake.

I am convinced now I couldn't live in the Philippines, i would shoot someone.

I will spend the next month until her graduation crafting a long diatribe which i will send to Chancellor Candice - after the boss has graduated and got all the required bits of paper.

UCLM can eat a bowl of d*cks

Believe it or not, things are like that here in Guam, too. We live in a U.S. territory, but the U.S. flag flying over the island is the only semblance to U.S. there is. I am not complaining, I love it here, but in my travels throughout this world I have found that most places that were under Spanish influence for a loooooong time tend to operate in this matter.